Troublesome Macintosh Portable M5120 - Need some help

On 3/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, techknight said:

Well not only that, but im trying to recover from some serious depression that i have been going through the last few years. 

That's hard.  I hope you can work yourself out of it eventually!

Have you considered therapy and/or some sort of medication to help yourself out of your depression?

Best wishes!

c

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/29/2021 at 6:37 AM, techknight said:

Well not only that, but im trying to recover from some serious depression that i have been going through the last few years. 

On 3/29/2021 at 6:47 AM, techknight said:

I just have no motivation to do anything in life. just sitting and spinning my wheels

Been there.  It's awful.  It's a more serious illness than people give it credit for, by a mile.  Sending you sympathy, and if there's ever anything I can do please tell me.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, CC_333 said:

Have you considered therapy and/or some sort of medication to help yourself out of your depression?

The problem here is that medication doesn't actually work very well, and has some really nasty side-effects in a lot of people; I am on a long-term fairly low dose of an SSRI and for me that works reasonably well.  But for many people it doesn't.

And as far as therapy goes: it's entirely possible, unfortunately, for one's brain to just glitch out and decide not to produce the right chemicals in the right proportions.  People like to think there's a reason for this kind of thing, but sometimes there isn't.  I went through four different therapists who were all digging for trauma that wasn't there before finding out that actually, I just don't produce the right chemicals in the right proportions somewhere, and therefore I spend an enormous amount of my time exhausted and grieving for no real reason at all.  Which, as an engineer who likes things to have reasons, is incredibly annoying.

(One of the reasons I have so many unfinished projects hanging around is actually that it's a coping strategy for this; things not working annoys me so much that this will get me out of bed when other things won't...)

Edited by cheesestraws

@cheesestraws Fair point.  I just asked out of curiosity because it seems only fair to one's self to at least give it a try.  Then, if it doesn't work, they can at least have the satisfaction of having tried.

But you're totally right.  the human mind is an incredibly fragile thing, and there are still many aspects of it that scientists and psychologists still don't understand.

Anyway, I could go on, but I'm tired (it's 2:30 AM here on the US west coast), and I can no longer think :scrambled:

c

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, CC_333 said:

Anyway, I could go on, but I'm tired (it's 2:30 AM here on the US west coast), and I can no longer think :scrambled:

Oh good grief, go and get some rest :-) that is too antisocial an hour to be having deep conversations.

22 hours ago, CC_333 said:

That's hard.  I hope you can work yourself out of it eventually!

Best wishes!

c

I am already on a pile of medication for other health issues going on so i really dont want to add more to the queue. @cheesestraws You might be right on the chemical imbalance thing. it all points back to 2007 for me. Somewhere around then, something "changed" inside my mind that completely changed who I am, how I think, how I feel. I live in a constant state of anxiety and fear all the time with a sensory disorder. (I was diagnosed with aspergers as a child). Little things like car doors, barking dogs, squeeking basment floors, etc set me off in an uncontrolled rage sometimes. Prior to this? None of that happened. I was completely bubbly, normal, aside from the lack of social cues which ya know....

Living with anxiety i think is whats caused the depression. And the fact that I am now in my 30s, still with some debt and not even a homeowner, not really advancing in my career, etc... 

Anyways, I think ive derailed this thread enough. haha 

Edited by techknight

It's really great to see conversations about mental health happening out in the open, especially in a place you really wouldn't expect it. Development of open attitudes toward mental health is one of the most important societal changes that needs to happen before mental healthcare can properly mature into something properly effective. Best wishes to all of you.