• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We researched printers high and low before buying.  We got stung by MakerBot, didn't want to waste money on another dud.  The Prusa got such good reviews.

I've got 3 Makerbots (2 5th gen and 1 Rep+ ) and I have almost no issues with them, I actually just bought a 2x also, it was sent to me missing stuff so I'm working to reassemble it. I also have two clone i3s (one acrylic and one wood frame) and the work decent, the biggest they have is a slight warped build surface. Maybe it was never flat to begin with... Not sure, Until I get the 2x up and running I'll still be using the i3s for ABS and PET.

Can anyone make models for the compact Mac floppy disk drive gears that break often. Also, the Apple leaf and CD bezels for Clamshells would be awesome too. Lastly, a slot Loading Optical disk drive cover for Pismo/Lombard PowerBook G3s would be nice as well. I have access to both a MakerBot Replicator 2 and MakerBot Replicator+ (we're now on our 4th MakerBot Replicator+ As the 3 previous were recalled/faulty).

I think the gear that breaks is too fine detailed to be 3d printed.  At least by the machines I have access to(Makerbot replicator 2, and a Deltamaker)

I think the gear that breaks is too fine detailed to be 3d printed.  At least by the machines I have access to(Makerbot replicator 2, and a Deltamaker)

Correct, extrusion printers don't have the precision. He's talking about a resin-based DLP/SLA process that can attain incredibly high resolution in all three axes.

Cool, I'll try to get to it tonight.

Someone tried to steal my car the other night so last night was spent unboxing and testing my new security camera system.

what kind of system did you get?  How's it working out so far?  Looking into one

what kind of system did you get?  How's it working out so far?  Looking into one

I picked up this set on clearance at Micro Center for almost half this price: https://www.amazon.com/WinBook-Security-Channel-Digital-Recorder/dp/B00WXGWLSS

It's...ok. Cameras are SD, not HD, and use composite BNC video connections to the DVR.

The cloud access feature is entirely unencrypted and insecure, I've disabled it. The software isn't the easiest to figure out entirely but easy enough to get running.

However, the built-in security DVR software is *really* flexible with TONS of options that tech heads can take advantage of, like custom motion detection profiles per camera, push notifications, email alarm delivery, automatic snapshot uploading to FTP, all sorts of nifty stuff.

If you're looking for a quick-and-easy simple setup and access, or HD video, it's not so great.

Comes with 4 cameras, has inputs for 4 more.

Edit: This is probably better for the price. I only paid $82 for the set I got, which was really the deciding factor, couldn't pass it up at almost 50% off

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KZJPGFY/

Edited by Rajel

We researched printers high and low before buying.  We got stung by MakerBot, didn't want to waste money on another dud.  The Prusa got such good reviews.

If I were buying one, I definitely would not go Makerbot. I was given a hand-me-down Replicator 2 and just work with what I have.

It does a good enough job if you know the quirks.

We have a MakerBot 2 that we've spent close to $1000 in repairs & fixes.  Its current issue is that the filament melts inside the thermal barrier tube.  We've replaced the entire extruder head by now, part by part, from the nozzle to the thermal sensor wire, and it still does it.  We've given up on it.  It NEVER worked since day one.  We had 18 hours of printing on it when we first got it, and that was just trying to get it to print SOMETHING.  When it didn't work, we attempted to exchange it for a new one, but MakerBot said that 18 hours was too long and they couldn't take it back.

We've replaced nearly everything on it except for the frame.  Complete piece of crap.

I think the worst part is that nearly all the failed parts were because they were defective.  The warped build plate, the warped arms, the bent horizontal struts, the faulty controller board, the bad X axis wire, a faulty thermal sensor, etc.  However, since MakerBot had closed their support forums, the only way we could find out was by paying them $160 so they could tell us, "Oh, yeah, that part was defective.  We'll send you a knew one.  Sorry about that.  You should have called us when it was under warranty."   WE DID!!!  MANY, MANY, MANY TIMES.

Never again.  MakerBot can go screw themselves.

Wow, that Prusa printer looks nicely priced too, based on looking at their website!

It's an open design.  Many companies make printers based off the Prusa i3.  So you can find them for fairly cheap.  We went with the assembled name brand.  Didn't want to fiddle around with stuff if we didn't have to.  Comes with a heated build plate and auto-leveling, which will be welcome features compared to our MakerBot 2.  There's also a 4-color upgrade, but we probably won't get that until much later.  Lets you use not just 4 different colors, but you can mix and match materials, too.

Yeah, Makerbot was an open design too... at first.
Micro Center carries a Replicator 2X clone for $700 that basically spanks the official model. I've seen prints come off that I can't touch with the Rep2 after it's been freshly leveled, cleaned, and tuned.
Smaller buildplate though. I do like the build area I get with the Rep2, although I'm itching for a bit more. I've got some large designs I'd love to run off in one piece.

JohnnyA: Had a crazy busy weekend and working late tonight, I'll get the single prints started asap, likely tomorrow evening. 

Man, these Prusas are nice so far.  Out of the box I've printed a bunch of stuff flawlessly.  I LOVE the auto-leveling.  It levels the build plate between each print automatically.

The software, however, is cumbersome.  Typical open source stuff.  All you can say about it is that it's ... functional.  Looks like an 8-year-old designed the interface. :-/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's an early or later Makerbot 2.  I just know that it never worked.  Also, the school had decided to not to spend another dime on it.  So unless you're willing to come to the school and repair it for free, I don't think that's an option. :p

Otherwise we're going to sell it.  There's supposed to be some company that buys used Makerbots, or at least my coworker told me so.  I'm having trouble find it, however.

Edited by olePigeon

So I just saw this thread...

I bought an SE last year. It came with 2 floppy drives (1 1.4M drive, 1 800K drive), The 800K drive was toast. It's upper head and ribbon cable were torn off the support arm and I have no clue if it can be fixed.

The SE has the 800K roms so the 1.4M drive was just a 800K drive. There was also a hard disk rigged to the top of the floppy drive cage. Well I was wanting the 1.4M drive to work, so I ordered an SE FDHD logic board and an upper drive sled w/ activity LED. The 1.4M drive went to the bottom floppy cage and the HD was mounted in it's sled.

The only problem was I had no upper floppy faceplate. So I fired up 123D Design and made a faceplate in 2 parts. I printed the faceplate w/LED window hole in white (closest matching color I had). I printed the LED window in clear. (It's really not clear, just a diffused translucence, but that's great for it's purpose.)

I had no reference for how the official one attached. I don't remember if we hot glued it in or taped it, but the STL has tabs that keep the part from popping through the front of the Mac. We just taped or glued the tabs to the inside of the SE.

I've attached the 123D Design files and STL files for both parts.

Related Note: They were printed on my Robo 3D R1+ which works pretty well.

Mac SE Drive Faceplate.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys.  I just wanted to touch up a bit on 360alaska's great ideas for 3d printing parts for our machines.  I downloaded the STL for the Mac Portable foot, but I found the file has several errors.  Nothing huge wrong, just tiny gaps n such, which can cause some slicer weirdness.  Also, I found it wasn't quite dimensionally correct, causing a loose fit.

I redesigned it a bit, and uploaded it to Thingiverse.  You can give it a try here:   https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2547630

I've only printed with TPU, and it prints and fits perfectly snug.  PLA may be more challenging due to its brittleness.