Sign in to follow this  
armadsen

New Lisa Hardware Coming

[...]

Now, on a related note, I wonder if someone can replicate an SE/30 or Quadra 840AV board someday?

c

Excuse me for a second guys, I need to clean up a puddle of drool over here after reading CC's post  [;)]]'>

I would jump at the opportunity to put a brand new motherboard in my SE/30!

Thats a couple things I have been eyeing at, is a blank new SE/30 board and a Mac Portable board. 

Replicating the board is easy, parts on the other hand are not. If I had a new SE/30 board, I would have to move over all the proprietary parts and then all the 74 series stuff would be new. 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:56 PM, Gorgonops said:

In short, these are not "rip-off" prices they were asking. This is a custom board that took a lot of hard work to design and manufacture that uses a significant number of getting-difficult-to-find ICs. To criticize the team as brutally as was done here for wanting to earn a *little* bit of return on their hard work is selfish, entitled, and uncalled for. The prices of these boards are far cheaper than the originals cost back in 1984, particularly if you adjust for inflation, and they're being produced in far lower quantities. So please give that angle a rest. Full stop.

No price is a rip-off unless someone is forced to pay it. Judging by some comments you'd think people are pining for communism. If someone tries to get rich doing hobbyist work good luck to them. That's what Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak did when they built the Apple I and II. They didn't say "I'm going to make Apple a non-profit."

If people are charging "too much" for something then they'll have to lower prices if they want more sales. I don't see why there is drama about pricing in this context.

Edited by LukeandPatty