Photo

Apple 3 LLF diskette image

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pitou

Pitou

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hello,

Anyone knows where I can find the Apple 3 Low Level Format floppy disk image?

Thank you.

Pitou!

#2 CelGen

CelGen
  • LocationKamloops, Canada

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

I believe most of the images have been pulled down at this point by resellers like VintageMicros because they undercut their business of selling formatting kits for a few hundred dollars.

#3 Pitou

Pitou

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

I found it here:

https://mirrors.appl.../apple3/system/

https://mirrors.appl...el-Formatter.po

I've LLF 2x ST-506 in my profiles and it worked fine. :)

Pitou!

#4 david__schmidt

david__schmidt
  • LocationNC, US

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

I believe most of the images have been pulled down at this point by resellers like VintageMicros because they undercut their business of selling formatting kits for a few hundred dollars.

That doesn't make any sense - the software is useless without the LLF ROM chip for the Z8 processor you have to drop into the controller.

#5 snuci

snuci
  • LocationToronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

That doesn't make any sense - the software is useless without the LLF ROM chip for the Z8 processor you have to drop into the controller.

I am guessing the LLF ROM chip might be the same as the one for the Lisa?  They are here:  http://bitsavers.inf...ofile/firmware/

#6 MarNo84

MarNo84
  • LocationRottenburg, Germany

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

YaY [8D] that's exactly what I need here - actually found some Piggyback Zilogs Z8603 & Z8613 while on holidays in China xD

Eproms @home and now the neccessary Files - ROMs & Disk Imagew/ Software [}:)]

Cheers,

Marcus

Edited by MarNo84, 12 May 2017 - 02:00 PM.

My Collection: www.marnoweb.de & www.classic-computer-collection.de & MarNoWeb @YT:  www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaeYrRq3IpohMUleaODrUw
I like: pre 1990 portable/luggable/compact & All-in-One Systems

#7 CelGen

CelGen
  • LocationKamloops, Canada

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:59 AM

I am guessing the LLF ROM chip might be the same as the one for the Lisa?  They are here:  http://bitsavers.inf...ofile/firmware/

I believe they are the same between the Apple III and the Lisa. The variations in blocksize and precisely how the filesystem is created is left to the high-level formatting utilities.

Don't call me on it though. I have never owned an Apple III with a ProFile, much less an Apple III.

#8 MarNo84

MarNo84

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

I believe they are the same between the Apple III and the Lisa. The variations in blocksize and precisely how the filesystem is created is left to the high-level formatting utilities.

Don't call me on it though. I have never owned an Apple III with a ProFile, much less an Apple III.

Yes I think they are the same - Apple /// & LISA use the same "Basis" of LLF system - it just formats the drive to a very very raw format so the Computersystems themself can access/recognize a "clean" drive and initialize the final format of the drive. Thats the point at all - LLF your ProFile on any Apple /// the common way with the tools or on the LISA with BLU and similar. The ROM is the same to use for formatting.

I will do a little Project in a while:  LL formatting, clean initializing and using Apple ProFile Drives on Apple //, Apple /// and of course on the beauty LISA :)

Therefore I will try and show how to LLF on the Apple /// with these common tools and on the LISA using BLU and maybe/probably the interesting Toll called NeoWidEx. As for what I know, there isn't any YT video or "live documentation" about these things anywhere shown? So maybe this could be interesting for some people too - except just for myself xD

@CelGen:  get yourself an Apple /// :) it's an awesome machine, way more "sophisticating" than a lot of pple think :wink: I love my little "oven" (get's kinda hot after a while but works like a charm)

Cheers,

Marcus

Edited by MarNo84, 13 May 2017 - 03:00 PM.

My Collection: www.marnoweb.de & www.classic-computer-collection.de & MarNoWeb @YT:  www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaeYrRq3IpohMUleaODrUw

#9 MarNo84

MarNo84

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

So, back @ home again and in the next days I will start my LLF Project on these ProFile drives..already burnt my EPROM and put it on the Piggyback ;-)

I will report here too if someone is interested ;-) anyway I will upload it onto my YT channel too ...

#10 MarNo84

MarNo84

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Well, finally got my bad 5MB ProFile Drive low level formatted using that BLU utility :) since my Apple III isn't working properly I gave that Utility a try and it worked like a charme right from the start. Unfortunately you still need that LLF ROM/Piggyback and Jumper - but it works very well just directly attached on a LISA. Infos and pictures will follow soon.

Edited by MarNo84, 18 June 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#11 bibilit

bibilit
  • LocationParis area -FRANCE-

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Well, finally got my bad 5MB ProFile Drive low level formatted using that BLU utility  :) since my Apple III isn't working properly I gave that Utility a try and it worked like a charme right from the start. Unfortunately you still need that LLF ROM/Piggyback and Jumper - but it works very well just directly attached on a LISA. Infos and pictures will follow soon.

What issues had your profile ?

I have one at home, will blink for a while, then the LED will stop blinking, 

Not sure if the problem is located in the Hard Drive itself or in the Profile board (the one atop the PSU)

Also, i have both a 5 Mb and a 10 Mb right now, and probably both interface boards won't work if not matched with the right HD.

Macintosh Classic and II ,CC, SE, SE/30,IIsi 25mhz(RasterOps video),Q 700,LC, LC III,LC475, PBook Wallstreet/Bronze/5300cs/1400c/100/Tibook Imac G3 slot-in, Bondi and G4 / PMac G4 sawtooth, QS, MDD, Yikes!, Cube, Imac Core 2 Duo, Ibook G3 (white/clam) G4 + Newton 120, eMate 300,Quicktake 150,  PowerCD

#12 MarNo84

MarNo84

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

What issues had your profile ?

I have one at home, will blink for a while, then the LED will stop blinking, 

Not sure if the problem is located in the Hard Drive itself or in the Profile board (the one atop the PSU)

Also, i have both a 5 Mb and a 10 Mb right now, and probably both interface boards won't work if not matched with the right HD.

Well my ProFile had the typical issues with an corrupt filesystem. I mean the real bad corruption. If you power on, it was trying to check the filesystem and sectors. I had a lot of defective software sectors so the stepper always repeated it's movements and after completing the self diagnostics it wasn't usable. A simple initialization through Apple /// SOS / Utilities and through the LISA Setup Process couldn't help - it just didn't let the files system initialize. So there was a 50/50 chance that a simple low level format could fix it. 

After my Apple /// lately won't proper boot with unkown problems I couldn't use the LLF Disks. So I gave that BLU utility a try and it worked like a charme right from the start. I already LLF 3 other drives with great success. Every initialization and installation went flawless.

Well could you describe that blinking? If it's flashing right after powering on the drive, then it's the correct behavior. Round about 1~2 Minutes the flashing will end and the LED should be steady on. That means the drive is ready. It will flash/blink if you access the drive.

These boards are hard to kill - and even if one part is defective, it's easy to repair. Hah, I tell you - on the last group meeting with other crazy vintage computer enthusiasts, we tried to LLF a 5MB ProFile and right at this process the PSU start smoking hmm what a smell [ :p]  but the psu/drive still works.

I'm not sure about the behavior if you switch the boards - for what I know it consists of a special ROM - if you just change the ROMs between the boards it should work.

Edited by MarNo84, 16 July 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#13 bibilit

bibilit
  • LocationParis area -FRANCE-

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Profiles are no longer with me, but anyway.

The 5 Mb only spinned, never get a flashing light.

The 10 Mb, flashing after powering the drive, then flashing for a minute or two, then the LED stopped flashing and i got a steady light.

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

The Profile is detected, but only got the infamous error codes.

Macintosh Classic and II ,CC, SE, SE/30,IIsi 25mhz(RasterOps video),Q 700,LC, LC III,LC475, PBook Wallstreet/Bronze/5300cs/1400c/100/Tibook Imac G3 slot-in, Bondi and G4 / PMac G4 sawtooth, QS, MDD, Yikes!, Cube, Imac Core 2 Duo, Ibook G3 (white/clam) G4 + Newton 120, eMate 300,Quicktake 150,  PowerCD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users