Sign in to follow this  
Macintoshguy1984

hard disk problems

SCSI voodoo. If I recall the Plus does not provide its own termination, so the chain needs to be terminated both at the end and at the SCSI port on the Plus itself.

My Asante EN/SC also has this problem, but I think this is as a result of overheating. If I unplug it and let the EN/SC cool down for a while, the Plus boots fine.

A few random questions:

1. If you boot your Plus from a floppy and turn the hard drive on as it is booting up, does it mount in the Finder?

2. What is the serial number of your Plus? I recall some of the earlier models had some SCSI issues. (Your serial sticker is on the bottom of the machine).

1: No, it doesn't mount but ill try again

2: It is a Macintosh 128k front with a Macintosh plus motherboard and back.

It also has a bip switch on the back, it is set on 8, but i think its the identifer

Edited by Macintoshguy1984

Yes it should.

It also has a bip switch on the back, it is set on 8, but i think its the identifer

I think this is why it won't work. I've never seen ID8 on Mac SCSI devices. You can't set the switch to 8 on any of my Apple SCSI peripherals (Hard Disk 40SC, Tape Backup 40SC, CD300 and the CD SC).  It only goes from 0 to 7.

Try setting the SCSI ID selector to something like 3 or 4 and then power it up with NO other SCSI devices connected (if you have any). 

Remember to terminate the SCSI chain. 

If it still doesn't work, try ID 0 (if applicable). ID 7 is used by the system itself and should not be used.

If the disk is not detected, you can have a try an remove the lid, then try to move the heads manually (don't touch the platter) you have nothing to lose.

If the disk is not detected, you can have a try an remove the lid, then try to move the heads manually (don't touch the platter) you have nothing to lose.

Echoing this. Maybe the head got stuck by gunk, and you can unstick it by doing what Bibilit said. And because the HDD won't work anyway, you can do it without being paranoid of breaking it.