I just scored a farallon PN594-TN networkcard for my SE/30. I would like a solution to hook it up to UTP rj45. Do you know any affordable solution? Preferably with an adddress in Europe? Thanks!

3B5EC77C-C2AA-43C2-A7A3-D950896FFDF4.jpeg

• 68kMLA Supporter

That 15 pin port you have there is called AUI.  It's a standard port for attaching different physical layers to.

What you need is called a 10BaseT (or "10Base-T" with a hyphen) AUI transceiver.  They're sometimes listed on eBay as "RJ45 AUI transceiver" instead.  They aren't expensive; this person in the UK is selling some for under 10GBP each; you may be able to find similar more locally: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164514800709

They were extremely widely-used for years, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding one for reasonable money :-).

I use an old 10 Mbit hub (CentreCom MR820TR)  with bnc und connect this with a rj45 cable to my router. Then you only need a bnc cable and perhaps a termination resistor.

23886C17-6D69-4678-8767-B0F33A8A0E58.jpeg

Edited by dochilli
  • 68kMLA Supporter
6 minutes ago, dochilli said:

I use an old 10 Mbit hub (CentreCom MR820TR)  with bnc und connect this with a rj45 cable to my router. Then you only need a bnc cable and perhaps a termination resistor.

Yeah, that's another sensible option; those usually seem to be a bit more expensive and a bit more unwieldy than an AUI transceiver, but are also useful in more circumstances (if you have something with only 10Base2, for example).

Depends how general a tool you want :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Great! I found a kti KE-5T hub. Looks like it should work but I can’t find useful info. I found the manual but I’m not sure it wil work. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 minutes ago, HAL2001 said:

It has a BNC connector. Yes. 
But would this work?

9C402D43-96E9-4E3A-A91A-49E1065048B6.jpeg

Yes, that'd work. Just ensure your Ethernet router/modem is able to handle 10BaseT connections. Some Gigabit routers will not properly work with them.

2 minutes ago, Daniël said:

Yes, that'd work. Just ensure your Ethernet router/modem is able to handle 10BaseT connections. Some Gigabit routers will not properly work with them.

Thanks. The db15 connector will go in the network card and the rj45 cable in a d-link switch. I hope it supports 10baseT. 

• 68kMLA Supporter

I think that's actually the exact model I use for my AUI devices, so it ought to be good.

Note that there's often a little switch you have to flip to select between AUI and BNC; I think it might be between the two connectors on yours?  One some of my non-Mac cards it's a jumper.  If in doubt, try to find the manual for the card...

If there's a switch to change between the ports, you should probably be good with a modern router/switch.  If there isn't it can be a bit more hit-and-miss.

W/re 10mbit and 1000mbit interoperability: there's kind of two things going on:

Very early ethernet stuff, including some cards for Macs, operated at half duplex and has trouble negotiating that connection. You can either use a hub as an intermediary, use a managed switch and set the port mode manually, or get another network card (which I realize is easier for some systems than others.)

The other thing that is starting to happen now is on some of the very newest extant gigabit equipment, 10 megabit compatibility is being dropped off for cost reasons. The only switch like this I'm aware of is certain members of the Cisco Catalyst 1000 family where there's fully-compatible gigabit models, high-PoE 10/100 models, and a few gigabit-only models.

Unfortunately it's tough to troubleshoot and I'm not aware of any list of what network cards have trouble, nor am I aware of a list of what ethernet switches so far have dropped 10 megabit. My own gigabit networking equipment is, at this point, "aging" to say the least, but cheap switches based on long-standing designs should support 10mbit fine for a few more years. We'll see what happens when 10GbE and 2.5/5GbE start showing up more commonly.

12 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

I think that's actually the exact model I use for my AUI devices, so it ought to be good.

Note that there's often a little switch you have to flip to select between AUI and BNC; I think it might be between the two connectors on yours?  One some of my non-Mac cards it's a jumper.  If in doubt, try to find the manual for the card...

If there's a switch to change between the ports, you should probably be good with a modern router/switch.  If there isn't it can be a bit more hit-and-miss.

Thanks. I ordered the card and I have it in my hands now. I can see the switch. Up=Thin and Down=Twisted Pair. At what position should the switch be if I use the CentreCom 210TS Adapter that goes in the DB15 connector? it says Twisted Paint on the CentreCom so it must be TP i think. Right?