Kind of rare thing... turn your ADB Mac on from afar with PowerKey Remote

• 68kMLA Supporter

This little box came with a IIci I picked up from Craigslist. It has 2 ADB ports at one end, and 2 telephone ports at the other. And an on/off switch. From what I can tell, the idea was that you plugged your office phone into it, and this into your Mac, and then if you were traveling or something, and wanted the Mac to wake up, you could call it, and it would turn it self on, then turn itself off after the call (using "Power" switch wire in the ADB connection). it's about 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches. Telephone plug is basic stuff, and this has to be dead simple inside it. Might be a fun hack in there to wire up a telephone wire to some kind of switch, and have a remote control for your retro Mac. Definitely not a useful thing, don't get me wrong. 

It's by Sophisticated Circuits, model PKR-1. I couldn't find any photos of this exact model. They have later versions that you can find references to on the web. 

There is a reference to it in repair guide for Mac II, but just a passing reference. 

Some links if anyone is interested (these are all for subsequent versions)

• 68kMLA Supporter

Nice find, those are pretty rare.  I have the “pro” version of this which is just bigger (looks like a power strip) with 6 outlets and use it to power up my SE/30 via the ADB keyboard (the multiple outlets are handy because it also lets me power up my SE/30’s WiFi receiver at the same time).  You can also program it to do thing on a schedule, and the various outlets can be programmed separately.  I’ve never used the phone functionality (don’t have a landline) but always thought it would be pretty cool to use for .... something.

@Crutch It'd be useful if you utilized AppleTalk Remote Access.  Say if your office computer is turned off and no one is at the office because of time zones while you're traveling for work, you could remotely turn on the computer and then access your files.

Edit: A few years ago I tried to get the remainder of the owner's stock of PowerKeys.  He sent maybe 2 or 3 to people, then stopped responding.  I didn't even get one. :(

Edited by olePigeon