DIY Mac 128K/512K/Plus optical mouse for a few bucks

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hi,

I've recently got a Macintosh Plus and a matching keyboard, but I was missing a mouse. I was a bit reluctant to get one off ebay as the original Apple mice are kind of costly (esp. including shipping) and couldn't find one locally.

I looked at the interface and it's clear that 128/512/Plus use a raw quadrature signal for x/y axis. Then, I somehow realized that back in the student days I was playing with optical mouse sensors and some older ones directly output those quadrature signals! That would mean that no Arduino etc. is necessary and you can directly connect those to my Plus :)

So I've got:

• A USB Logitech M-BJ69 mouse that contains an ADNS2051 chip - I was lucky that my father found it in his electronic scrap
  • A possibly thin Ethernet cable from electronics recycling container at work (we need at least 7 conductor wire)
  • A DB-9 connector (new, ~3$)

The building:

• I've desoldered the USB controller from the mouse PCB (U2)
  • X1/X2/Y1/Y2 go directly to the pins of ADNS2051
  • The button signal shorts to GND - the same for the Mac and in the original mouse
  • +5V directly next to ADNS2015 (in the original mouse design there is an additional transistor that is used to cut power when the PC is shut down, I just bypassed it)

IMG_3771.thumb.jpeg.800171faa8257c017829b1c2d83e4c68.jpegIMG_3772.thumb.jpeg.25cd4c8d9fae2ee357b3d576a31a577d.jpeg

The final mouse looks like this:

IMG_3776.thumb.jpeg.c0f75f316311569f3eb30dc56c6d7590.jpeg

And it works! 8-)

plus_mouse.thumb.gif.c4f3fe24db5906deb0269c3cfb6e0e0b.gif

Btw, this is not really a new approach - only after building it I realized that this method was already published by the Amiga community. What I like about it is that it was a 30 min job, without messing with custom PCBs.

Hope that helps someone :) 

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 minutes ago, demik said:

How did you know this ?

Back during my studies I was scavenging those sensors to estimate a trajectory of a small mobile robot. I was using the serial output for that (reading it with AVRs), but I found it funny they still supported the 'legacy' quadrature signal. Now, after 10 years, this information turned out to be useful :)

It seems that many people used them for robotics, a bio-inspired robotics lab at Stanford is actually hosting the dataset of this chip:

http://bdml.stanford.edu/twiki/pub/Rise/OpticalDisplacementSensor/ADNS2051.pdf

4 hours ago, moldy said:

Back during my studies I was scavenging those sensors to estimate a trajectory of a small mobile robot. I was using the serial output for that (reading it with AVRs), but I found it funny they still supported the 'legacy' quadrature signal. Now, after 10 years, this information turned out to be useful :)

It seems that many people used them for robotics, a bio-inspired robotics lab at Stanford is actually hosting the dataset of this chip:

http://bdml.stanford.edu/twiki/pub/Rise/OpticalDisplacementSensor/ADNS2051.pdf

Fun story :) I wonder if a similar one is still produced...

• 68kMLA Supporter
50 minutes ago, Crutch said:

Nice work! I would want to hide one inside an original M0100. 

This. I would make just one and call it a day.

Interesting, it would be useful if modern such chips were still in production.  Admittedly with 2000s-era computers approaching 20 years old, those are but more "vintage" electronics that some of us would prefer to repair than scrap for parts.

Some investigation into the Apple Pro Mouse reveals it has an HDNS-2000 which supports both quadrature and somewhat ironically PS/2 modes.

The data sheet suggests it has an output high voltage of 2.1V, so this would probably need buffering.

Unfortunately I think they're impossible to take apart without cutting plastic parts.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/promouse/index.html

https://kaibareis.de/kb.dreael.ch/temp/upload/Agilent HDNS-2000.pdf