What's the best browser for a Mac Color Classic? Also how do I set up ethernet with a Farallon ethernet card?

Hi folks,

I finally managed to make my SCSI2SD work and I've started putting stuff onto the SD card. I'd like to set up ethernet on my Mac CC since I have a Farallon Ethernet card lying around.

This brings me to my two questions stated in the title, for the first one, I was thinking maybe Netscape 4 would be sufficient. For the second, I need your help because from what I know Mac OS 7 wasn't the most ready operating system for TCP/IP networking.

The CC has a maximum of only 10 MB RAM. A lean System 7.5 would work, but I stronlgy suggest to stay with System 7.1 with a few selected Extensions like Thread-Manager.

The CC can run OpenTransport and there should be no problems with Networking. I did this in the early 2000s when I also had a CC with network card.

Regarding the webbrowser. The most "modern" one you can get is an old version of iCab Look for v2.99 for 68k Machines. Beware, it won't be any fun browsing the modern web with a machine like that. It more or less just does not work. There is a small but slowly growing(!) amount of Gopher sites out there tough. Get TurboGopher and browse away!

My current setup is with Mac OS 7.5.5 and I unfortunately have only 4Mb of RAM (I'm still waiting for the expansion RAM sticks to arrive), but in the meantime I've settled with Netscape Navigator 3. I do not plan to browse the modern web, since it's technologically impossible, I just want it for simple HTML websites like http://colorclassic.com...

And about setting up the network, well, I haven't done this before, can I have specific instructions, please?

You should be able to just put the correct details for your network into the TCP/IP control panel and then it should just work. I've found DHCP a bit flakey, so it's best to set up the details manually.

I haven't tried this myself yet, but this looks promising for browsing modern sites on older machines: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

Obviously, the resolution will be a challenge, but using this proxy will at least offload SSL traffic which older CPUs really struggle with.

On my Color Classic, I've used Fetch FTP client to pull files to the machine. It maxes out at around 50kbyte/sec (which I didn't think was bad for such an old machine).

18 hours ago, jimbojones said:

I haven't tried this myself yet, but this looks promising for browsing modern sites on older machines: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

Obviously, the resolution will be a challenge, but using this proxy will at least offload SSL traffic which older CPUs really struggle with.

Here’s an article from someone who got this running on an SE/30:  https://metalbabble.wordpress.com/2020/03/31/classic-mac-web-surfin-with-web-rendering-proxy-wrp/

I've got the WRP proxy @Crutch mentioned working. Haven't actually done an extensive amount of browsing on old hardware, though. I used the Docker image referenced on the Github readme and it works perfectly on my QNAP NAS, zero configuration needed.

I might still look into some of the other proxies designed to simplify sites rather than just screenshot them as it definitely doesn't feel right using WRP. Clicking links/menus and entering text are especially off. But it works and it looks good in photos. The ability to scale the page down (along with sites like 68kMLA that switch to a phone layout when width is low) help a lot on a small screen.

I have instructions for how I set up my Plus with a SCSI to Ethernet adapter.  But a lot of the steps should apply to what you're doing.

https://www.savagetaylor.com/2020/05/10/macplus-on-my-network-using-scsi-to-ethernet/

I mainly use the connection for intranet FTP transfers.   I may look at making some form of proxy that can connect to an HTTPS site, get the result, and send a "scrubbed" HTML document to the Macintosh, e.g. all links updated to point back to the proxy.  Javascript, CSS, and images removed (to reduce the "ram" hit).   I used to do a fair amount of web development in the 90s and early 2000s, I'll have to see what I remember at some point.

Thanks for all your advice, unfortunately I can't really test it after the point of configuring the network settings due to the lack of RAM. The RAM sticks I've ordered have been lying in a Michigan USPS facility for nearly a month and eBay says they're supposed to arrive in January, which is strange because other orders from USA used to arrive in two or three weeks...

Edited by Shymon184