Jump to content

$100 - Apple LED Display Port Cinema 27" Display

Recommended Posts

Found at goodbytes. $100. Will post pics later. Apple is selling the same display for $999


I got it untested (they didn't have a compatible machine to test). I will give it to my mom if it works for her new-ish Mac Mini (Mid-2011)


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tested the iSight and the Display Mic. They work. Ditto on power out to my macbook. The speakers don't work, but that could be a result of the display not showing video. It might not work unless the Display Port has video input. So I will check that later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found out why. Logic board shot. I tested the PSU board, but it's working. All voltage works. However the logic board doesn't even present itself to the bus.


I know I shouldn't have, but I ordered another Logic board for $185 shipped. More than I would normally pay, but I can turn around and sell the display for a $150 profit looking around. Probably will do that then by my mom an Asus display.


I found power going to the logic board, but USB is just a passthrough and a seperate part of the board.


Also, I found out it's a 24". I thought since it was huge (and heavy) that the display was a 27". I was wrong. It's only 24 which was kinda disappointing. It's Model A1267. So 24"


While it's not under warranty, it has built in iSight, apparently some dang nice speakers (2.1 Sound).


At minimum, I could still give it to my mom as a belated mother's day gift. A bit expensive, but whatever. Otherwise I could sell her my 1920x1080 ASUS display for $100 and keep this. I could use it with a Hackintosh.


I have been toying with selling the Hackintosh and then selling my stocks and buying a Mac Pro. I Can afford an 8 core from 2011 or with a slight bit more money, I can by a 12 core. I need to check my finances, but it's very possible.


I have $2000 sitting in stocks, plus if I sell the monitor I can make an extra $150, plus $1000 that I can get from my Hackintosh (I have a really nice build) + sell my MacBook, plus my AMD FX-8120 system (well built) I can afford a dang nice Mac Pro, new if need be.


EDIT: Pics on bench



Logic Board



Fan Works (It's running and pushing air)




Power Supply (pushing out the proper Voltages:





Edited by coius
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe when I get the Display repaired, I will sell it. I can take the extra money and apply it to a new machine.


Anyone interested in an "Other OS" PC?



Core i7 3770k (OC'd to 4.0 on air nicely at stock voltage)

16GB DDR3-1800

4x 1TB Hitachi Ultrastar HDDs (7200RPM/32MB Cache)

Radeon HD 6850/1GB GDDR5

RocketRAID 2300 in RAID-10 (Works on the "Other OS" in RAID natively)

Massive aircooled heatsink

Blu-Ray Burner (Up to 8x or more)

USB 3.0 Works in"Other OS"

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 board

Wifi (Real MacBook Pro Broadcom on adapter for PCI-E) 802.11n (So it's a native airport card from macbook pro), Firewire 400 (2 external, 1 internal, PCI-E)



This machine scores this on geekbench:



of course, OS not included for license and legality reasons :p


I would like $1100 if I sell it. It's got about $1500 in parts in it if you were to build it now with parts (even used parts)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for a small amount of Devil's Advocacy, before you go too much further, 1920x1200 displays of reasonable quality are always coming down in price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176346


Have you looked at completed eBay listings or the like to see if people are even willing to pay >$300 for the previous generation of Cinema display? I just ask because at $100 over $285, you're in UltraSharp 2412m territory, and that's an exceedingly good and flexible display. (Dell has one today for $390, with a three year warranty and the sound bar, which tends to be good for desktop audio.)


Re the Mac Pro: I haven't looked in the last few days, but a few weeks/months ago, the concensus was that Apple was going to wait until either later in the year or next year for Xeons using the Haswell or Ivy Bridge microarch. As it stands, today's current generation "big" Xeons (anything that can run in a dual socket system) are based vaguely on Sandy Bridge and the xeons the Mac Pro is using are only one generation prior to that. Some of the smallest Xeons are essentially the same as the Ivy Bridge i7 chips, but Apple is totally unlikely to release a machine based on one of those Xeons, because that would put it in the same class as Dell systems like the Precision 1650 or the OptiPlex 7010/9010, which is essentially the "Mythical Midrange Mac Minitower" which will never exist.


I don't know (read: haven't looked up) whether Intel is going to be skipping the Ivy Bridge microarch on it's bigger Xeons in favor of Haswell, or if they're going to be shipping the SB-E Xeons out until the thing after Haswell shows up. As it stands, in terms of compute horsepower, Ivy Bridge isn't that big an improvement on Sandy Bridge, and I've heard Haswell isn't going to be particularly exciting on the desktop, other than that IVB has marked the end of Intel building its own standalone system boards.


So, if you want a Mac Pro, and you can afford it and it'll be faster than what you're currently using (which would essentially demand you buy the eight or twelve-core system if you're currently using an i7-3770) and it'll make you money, I'd say now is as good a time as any to buy one. If you'll lose money if you don't have the system, then by all means pick one up today in order to capture that profit opportunity.


If you don't need a Mac Pro immediately, or you want a fast Mac but don't want ot put money into a Mac Pro that'll be replaced by something two or three computing generations newer in the next year or so, then you may consider getting an iMac or one of the quad-core Mac minis. I suppose it depends a lot on your workload and whether or not adding things like really big GPUs (GTX680 became available for Mac recently), >32 gigs of ram, four disks or other Mac Pro specific things will be of more benefit than having an exceedingly fast single-socket system.


On the other other hand, if you're getting your work done with what you've already got handy, then you may consider stashing that money for a rainy day or a big emergency, which seems to come up on a regular basis. It's commonly said that ideally, you want to have two months of the salary you'd need to live and support yourself on hand in the case of a medical emergency, a sudden loss of job, or other things. (Having two months of living expenses on hand helps tremendously too if you need to move and pay to rent a truck and then pay two months rent up front, as another example.)


Good luck with the monitor, keep us posted on what you end up doing with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 68kMLA Supporter
It's commonly said that ideally, you want to have two months of the salary you'd need to live and support yourself on hand in the case of a medical emergency, a sudden loss of job, or other things. (Having two months of living expenses on hand helps tremendously too if you need to move and pay to rent a truck and then pay two months rent up front, as another example.)


Heh. I think that advice is out of date. They were saying the same thing when I got my first professional job back in the early 90s.


The updated version should be to have 2 years net income on hand for a rainy day. I think that would better match the realities of today's job market. ;-|

Link to post
Share on other sites
The updated version should be to have 2 years net income on hand for a rainy day.


For people for whom that's feasible, that's not a bad idea at all. Unfortunately, saving up two months of income and stashing it in an inactive checking account or a savings account isn't too wild -- building that up to the point where it is two years of income takes a bit more time. The soundest advice may be to have as big as feasibly possible rainy day fund. There's may not be a specific reason to stop contributing unless it does... become rainy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Logic board didn't fix it. It's likely the LCD or the cable. Not gonna mess with it. The seller agreed to take the logic board back, so I will ship it back and get a refund.


I will sell the rest of it for what I can get to recoup the costs.


If anyone else wants to mess with it, let me know. I just want to recoup the cost I spent on it, plus shipping if it ships (I will ship cheapest)


It's very possible it could be the cable itself. These are known to fail. the LCD is the most expensive part, but that's also a possibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and the cost of getting a Mac Pro is more prohibitively expensive for the slight extra performance increase than just working with my current Hackintosh.


I believe I can make my Core i7 Ivy-Bridge come within about 2000 points of a 12-core. It's already hitting 15k point on geekbench compared to 24 on the 12-core. So if I overclock slightly more I can get at least probably close to 18-19k points. Thereby closing the gap.


I will save my money. After losing $400 in my stocks in one day alone, I feel kind of sick to my stomach (I went from $2000 to $1600 in less than 20 minutes)

Link to post
Share on other sites

(Wandering topic)


I wouldn't bother with an older Mac Pro unless you *NEED* the expansion slots.


The just-released Haswell processors are so fast that you'd need a 12-core Mac Pro to be faster. If the Mac Mini moves to desktop processors (which is should/could with Haswell,) an updated Mac Mini will likely be faster at everything but gaming than an 8-core Mac Pro. And it should be faster even for gaming than the stock video card that shipped with a 2009 or earlier Mac Pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a particular application you're trying to run at the same speed as a Mac Pro? Westmere EP to Ivy Bridge is a bit of a per-clock differential, but you're still talking about 3x the cores. If your disk subsystem is already exceedingly excellent, and your sure that you're never going to need more than 32 gigs of ram, the Ivy Bridge chip will become the bottleneck on the way to "performance like a Mac Pro."


On the other hand, I think a lot of people who say they need a Mac Pro for performance reasons are going to be looking at the iMac and offerings from Dell/HP/Lenovo for a few months yet.


Re haswell: There are some *very* interesting "Crystal Well" i7 SKUs in the pipe at the moment. ark.intel.com says that they're released, and they're quads ranging from about 2.0 to 3.2GHz with Intel HD 5200 Pro IRIS or whatever the exact sequence of tags is. They don't have vpro or some of the newest VT extensions, but they're more than everything you'd need in a) a low end iMac for people who don't care about the ATi and nVidia names B) a high end mac mini for people who do care slightly more about graphics performance and c) other space-constrained form factors.


The Mac Pro will be exceedingly interesting (to me, personally, at least) again once it gets revved. I think at this point Apple's waiting for one or more Xeon platform refreshes. The E5s are at the Sandy Bridge microarch right now and the E7s are there or are on Westmere still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
I will save my money. After losing $400 in my stocks in one day alone, I feel kind of sick to my stomach (I went from $2000 to $1600 in less than 20 minutes)


If this is all the money you have saved stocks is the wrong place to put it. A FDIC insured savings account would be best. Then once you get a bit saved up start with low risk mutual funds. Individual stocks should be the last place you put your money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I ended up recovering it within 2 days. I also made an extra $200 on it.


Kramer from that tv show picked my stock to say "sell! sell! sell!" and it tanked. People came to their senses and it went back up.


For the record, I started with $1000 and grew it to $2000 in 6 months. I was in Astex Pharmeceuticals, then Ford, then YUM and now I am in 3D printing. I made quite a bit of money over the last 6 months.


Either way I am back up to $2000.


I have actually decided not to get a Mac Pro and decided possibly a MacBook Pro. The issue is Retina or non-Retina.


8GB RAM and 256GB Flash costs about the same as the 1440x900 w/ 500GB and 4GB but it as at least upgradeable. Can anyone tell me that has used the retina vs non whether it is worth giving up upgrades for the retina display?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used both a non-retina and retina 15" computers (my non-retina had the high-quality display), and there was a difference. But, depending on what you are using it for, I would go with a Retina. But I would wait, because I think new models with the Haswell processors with better graphics, better battery life, and faster processors will be coming soon. The MBPwR is Apple's favorite computer right now, so of course they are going to upgrade it more then other models.


1 thing, UPGRADE YOUR RAM if you go Retina. Since the Apple Store replaced my non-Retina with the Retina for $100, so I got no say in the RAM and I'm stuck, forever, with 8GB of RAM since it is soldered. The Flash Drive can be upgraded, but It will void your warranty.


I think Apple is going to start phasing out the non-Retina, and the MBP will only come in Retina.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...