The M0001 Registry

Thanks charlieman for the inspiration.

http://www.mac128.com/m0001

I've set up a database on http://baseportal.com/ which seems like an excellent way to go about setting up such a registry. I've set it up so it is totally anonymous and M0001 owners can register as much or as little as they want. I have no particular desire to host it, but I am happy to host and administer it. Obviously it will have to be backed up every week to ensure the valuable data won't be lost, so I plan to do that. I have also locked the fields so entries can only be added, or viewed and sorted to protect the data from vandalism. So if anyone wants to add or change something later they will have to send it to the administrator or duplicate post.

This was just a quick implementation, so please leave your comments here as to what could be improved.

Considerable thought and work has already gone into this registry, for which both thanks and congratulations are due to you.

Insofar as these Macs are machines, and were designed to do work, do you consider that there is room or cause for a few fields describing their current use? For example: continuous, regular, intermittent, infrequent, never. And the principal use, if use there be: general, games, software development, floppy disk production, server, sentinel, other ...

I am sure that you can amplify and codify the possibilities. They may change with time and change of ownership, surely, which also will be part of an interesting historical record.

de

Another thought, occasioned by looking at my 512Ke (ED) for the data already on request: input mains voltage is a material consideration, since Macs of this era were not autoranging. The supply voltage also reflects, of course, the markets at which a given Mac was aimed.

de

equill - all excellent points. I'll definitely add "voltage".

As it gestates in my mind, I realize there is merit per your statement as "an interesting historical record" that change of ownership would be a fascinating path to follow. Since it is a database, the new owner would simply indicate the acquisition of the same Mac and the duplicate entries would be sorted together. This way, it can truly be anonymous if someone wishes. I'll add a "date lost" field in case anyone ever wants to update their entry, though. Great idea!

As for the "use" input, I did think about that as the radio buttons make for a much more convenient consistent search engine. However, this particular database does not allow multiple entries in the same field. It's not a bad idea and certainly I could add to the list over time, but the best it could ever be under the present software is something like: "Primary Use: Secondary Use: Other Use:" and set up three fields for the three primary uses of the old Mac. Obviously I could add more, but this thing could get out of hand easily that way. I think the "how often" it is used would certainly be an excellent field by itself.

Also, when I back it up, I will add a link to the resulting spreadsheet data so anyone can download it and put it into their favorite database program.

If anyone has any ideas about which part numbers should be used in some of the internals field I'd appreciate the input. I know for instance the analogue board has two different part numbers and it seems that on my two 128K boards, the primary is the same, but the secondary number has a rev. letter. On other boards I've seen "rev. D" for instance spelled out after the primary number. Ultimately, the registry is going to need a tutorial for obtaining the proper information from one's Mac's internal parts, so I'd like to start sorting that out to standardize the P/Ns now. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi mates,

great project - added to my News

If you like to decode your Macintosh Serial Number,

use my SerialNumberDecoder

If you run across an unsupported model or an "undefined" value, please contact me with as much data as you know about the computer like: serial number, model, model number, CPU speed, where it was made (if known), when it was made (if known), etc. I try to add support in a future revision. A big thank-you goes out to everyone who submitted informations — you've helped to improve this decoder immensely! To check the decoded year see this Macintosh Timeline.

I will add my Macintosh 1984 soon.

Is it possible to update the infos later ?

MacOS, your decoder is already listed on the M0001 Registry! Thank you for having it! For some unknown reason, the old stand-by MacFaq.org decoder isn't working so yours is now indispensable.

Unfortunately the registry is not directly updateable. It's best if you enter all the information you are planning to add at once. If you need to make changes you should later you can either repost them with an additional entry (which will sort together) or you can e-mail the administrator who will make the updates for you.

Also, translations of the general instructions would be welcome on your hosted sites. Please e-mail the administrator to have your links added!

• 2 weeks later...
...so I have no way of knowing what the original serial number was.

Maybe you find the original Serial Number on the front case at the contrast button. An upgraded Mac to MacPlus has two SNs - one on the bottom of the back site case and one at the contrast button on the front case (this is the older, original one)

Sadly the SNs where added as stickers who disappear sometimes from the case.

I have added my 512Ke. The exercise raised another multipartite suggestion: if FDDs are to be itemized, why not also the dirty-big 'floppy' HD 20, which is not 'third-party' any more than other contracted peripherals made with an Apple logo, and space for other (like) parts such as mouses A2M2070 with identical form factor? Over to you, O Leader.

I misdiagnosed my internal FDD in the listing, which cannot be a 400kB in a Ke with 128kB ROMs, but I confounded my principal use of it with the reality of its capacity. I left off mention of my Mac's early life in an Apple & University (of Western Australia) Consortium, which is another historical dimension to consider.

de

equill, the HD20 can not only be decoded but also included in the M0001 registry, as well as encouraged to do so.

This entry is one of mine: http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Mac128/M0001_Registry&localparams=1&db=M0001_Registry&cmd=list&range=20,20&cmd=all&Id=21

Unfortunately I don't believe anyone has found a way to decode the Apple product serial numbers. Since the A9M0106 800K drive was introduced with the IIGS and uses the SnowWhite language of the SE, I'm using that as the cut off point since data about it would do little for research other than confirm you have one. However the Apple II mouse is not a bad idea, since it is widely used with the M0001 as it was introduced around the same time. Its somewhat confusing as this site indicates: http://www.decodesystems.com/apple-mice.html So any input anyone can give to make the correct listings would be helpful.

But I think that's about it for M0001/Apple dual compatible products. If I am in error, please let me know.

As for your egregious omissions, I will happily update your entry. Update your entry here with the serial number in question. FYI, it's not that the 512Ke CANNOT have an internal 400K drive, it's just unlikely. Depending on the particular life of a 512Ke, if the 800K drive went bad, I can see someone sticking a working 400K drive in there. Particularly since most 500K Macs mostly used 400K disks for applications, installs, etc.

Maybe you find the original Serial Number on the front case at the contrast button. An upgraded Mac to MacPlus has two SNs - one on the bottom of the back site case and one at the contrast button on the front case (this is the older, original one)

This actually raises a good question ... how should the dual serial numbers be handled? I think the original serial number should always override and that one should be next to the contrast knob on original 128K/512K bezels. If the front bezel is a Plus design, then the bucket bottom is the primary serial number. The second serial number should be added in the description field, or does there need to be a second serial number field?

If the serial numbers are missing, then that needs to be accounted for in the description field.

I have never actually come across a Plus upgraded 128K/512K. It seems odd to me that the case bucket would have its own serial number, but perhaps it corresponds to the logic board/bucket configuration. Can anyone confirm this?

This actually raises a good question ... how should the dual serial numbers be handled? I think the original serial number should always override and that one should be next to the contrast knob on original 128K/512K bezels. If the front bezel is a Plus design, then the bucket bottom is the primary serial number. The second serial number should be added in the description field, or does there need to be a second serial number field?

If the serial numbers are missing, then that needs to be accounted for in the description field.

I have never actually come across a Plus upgraded 128K/512K. It seems odd to me that the case bucket would have its own serial number, but perhaps it corresponds to the logic board/bucket configuration. Can anyone confirm this?

After doing some googling, I found that the 128 and 512 had the number in a different place. I sent a PM with the correction. I don't think the upgrade would come with it's own serial number since the serial number for the 128k/512k is not located on the bottom of the bucket like it is on the Plus so the original serial number would still be there even if you replaced the bucket. The Plus upgrade does have an Mxxxx number, though, which I also included in my PM.

equill, the HD20 can not only be decoded but also included in the M0001 registry, as well as encouraged to do so ... Unfortunately I don't believe anyone has found a way to decode the Apple product serial numbers ...

The 'decodability' of the HD 20 is apparent enough, but I was not sure whether you wished to clutter the database with separate entries for such gear. With your apparent affirmative assurance, I shall do so.

My suspicion, and it is no more than that, is that most casual peripherals were never intended by Apple to be more than sequentially numbered. By contrast, there could be all number of business/design/production reasons why a built-up data-processing device might bear a number for Apple's later 'forensic' purposes, and hence the decodability. All the better for us fact freaks, for starters.

de

... As for your egregious omissions, I will happily update your entry ...

As for egregiosity (groan ...), it has just struck me, in which I am as deficient as anyone else, that there is no provision in the database to record as fundamental a property of our wee beasties as the operating System(s) in use. With the luxury of a large non-floppy floppy drive and 2MB of RAM, I can and do use System 6.0.8, but the versatility of the marque at that time allows for a wide range, which is perhaps worth recording, as also is the reason for the choice?

de

there is no provision in the database to record as fundamental a property of our wee beasties as the operating System(s) in use. With the luxury of a large non-floppy floppy drive and 2MB of RAM, I can and do use System 6.0.8, but the versatility of the marque at that time allows for a wide range, which is perhaps worth recording, as also is the reason for the choice?

I did contemplate this when I initially constructed the database. The overriding factor for not including system version is obviously in the M0001, which were all floppy based, multiple systems can be run based on the software needs of the user. I am constantly jumping around between System 6.0.x, 1.1 & 3.2 depending on what applications I want to run. If one is HD based it narrows it down somewhat. But, obviously if one enters 6.0.8 in the database today, tomorrow one could easily switch to System 2.0 to run some new software they're interested in.

In the end I decided to simply go with the Description field for the larger variables which are not M0001 specific. The description field can of course accommodate all of that as well as the individual reasons behind the choice, since these details go more for the general history of the Mac than documenting the stock specifications and upgrade path. That does not preclude adding a "primary system used" field, but it will require a large number of options to account for all the system configurations for the M0001 models and allowing non-conformed entries makes it about as un-sortable as the description field.

Perhaps a more useful field for research would be highest system run and lowest system run?

Well thought through, again, and I concur with your outcome. As for sortability, I suggest that there are two considerations. If a datum is a single nugget, sortability is all that is called for. If there are enough data or nuggets in a field to constitute a strike, findability is more useful than sortability, so search terms rather than field descriptors come into their own. The tools for a database must always fit the kinds and uses of the data.

Any thoughts about 'official' history recording? I believe that there were Apple & Educational consortia all around the world.

de

If there are enough data or nuggets in a field to constitute a strike, findability is more useful than sortability, so search terms rather than field descriptors come into their own. The tools for a database must always fit the kinds and uses of the data.

Any thoughts about 'official' history recording? I believe that there were Apple & Educational consortia all around the world.

And I concur with your assessment! I am the first to admit I don't know what I'm doing ... but I am thrilled to live in a world that allows a free online database portal which anyone in the world can contribute into. That said, it is not a perfect solution. For instance, it does not seem to have the same level of comprehensive search tools as say even this forum. But, every field can be sorted online for real time interaction. However, field searches such as description are restricted by displayed page. For detailed use, the entire database can be downloaded in .csv format which is then fully searchable, which is the real strength here. For what it is and what it does, I think the trade-offs are acceptable. Anyone can set up a Baseportal account and explore the resources offered. There are other seemingly powerful tools which can be configured for creating specific types of online reports, so anyone willing to explore and offer some solutions to improve the database are more than welcome! I hope to explore them further when I have the time ...

As for your second question, I am not sure I follow, but I am definitely intrigued ...

I removed, but kept, the labels that were affixed to my 512Ke when it arrived, despite that their former presence shows in the beige rectangles within the variably yellowed overall colour. The Mac's internal state was redolent of its having had little use.

The Mac was documented in the labels as having been bought by the University of Western Australia. The principal(?) label of two shows:

APPLE COMPUTER AUSTRALIA

APPLE UNIVERSITY CONSORTIUM

This system has been purchased under the Apple University Consortium Program.

For Warranty information see your local University Consortium Representative.

UNIVERSITY CONSORTIUM MEMBER:

[serial # Y61071N]

[Purchase Date 10/6/86] (Date in Australian usage. Manuf. date was Week 20, 1986.)

CONDITIONS OF PURCHASE

1. Buyer must not resell for 12 months.

2. University Consortium Member has first refusal on re-purchasing this item.

3. Buyers must not seek after sales support from any normal Apple dealer.

4. Yibbida yibbida ...

5. Yibbida yibbida ...

6. Yibbida yibbida ...

So you see that there was a formalized arrangement roughly equivalent to buying a small hotel or a franchised business. The new price was USD2000 at the time, probably metamorphosing into AUD4000 or thereabouts.

de

I must admit that I haven't yet registered my two 512's in part because we cannot edit info in the database ourselves, so I feel the need to jot down ALL the relevant details (data for all columns) before I register so I won't need to bother Mac128 multiple times to update my machine's info.

With that said, I have a couple thoughts/suggestions:

1) Very few people are including their email addresses. I suspect this is due to the fact that SPAM spiders would easily grab such information. Would it not therefore be prudent to at least require people to write out their email addresses (e.g., steve at apple dot com versus steve@apple.com)?

2) Hardly anyone is posting a Link. I think this is unfortunate because everyone technically can post a link to something relevant. I personally would like to see links to photos of the machines, which can freely be posted on Flickr or Picasa or .Mac or other photo hosting sites. So my suggestion here would be to add some addition text on the registry page to encourage people to either post their personal homepage/blog link OR post a link to the photos of the machine. While raw data isn't bad, it really adds something when you have a nice crisp photo to go along with the data. And no, I don't think hundreds of photos of similar looking machines would be "boring" either.

Finally, please note that my words above are in no way criticism of the site. Mac128 put a lot of hard work into this and is to be commended for it. I have just posted some "thoughts" for everyone to chew on.

All excellent ideas JDW. I will amend the instruction page when I have a chance. I still have a detailed help page to put together complete with pictures as well ... oh, but could I stop time.

As I have said many times, the page is far from complete, comprehensive or perfect and it's really the Mac community that should decide what's on it beyond the basics. And eventually I will turn over "the keys" to someone else to drive I'm sure. It actually wasn't that hard to throw together ... improving upon the basic elements is hard.

I wish that baseportal allowed editing the way this forum does, but even with registration, I don't think members are limited to just the entries they posted. So you are going about it the right way JDW. I have in no way entered all the eligible serial numbers in my collection for the very reason I want to collect all the data I can before I post as well.

I'll try to make the M0001 models clearer. It's actually interesting when you look at the Plus that way since it really is nothing more than a 128K with the Dove after-market RAM & SCSI boards built-into the logicboard. In that sense, Jobs really did create a computer that could be easily upgraded from 128K to 4MB by simply swapping logicboards if nothing else. And if you look at it that way, the original Macintosh was offered basically for 7 years, longer than any other model in the line. Truly worthy of preservation.