Performa 6200 parts

First, let me apologize by saying I am brand new to this forum and I don't know if this has been covered in years past.  Please bear with me as I familiarize myself with this forum.

Next, I am here on the recommendation of a very nice man who has been re-capping my old IIsi and IIci Macs.  I asked him what he thought I could do with my old parts from my 2 Performa 6200CD units that are sitting around gathering dust, and he referred me to this forum.  I don't have a real use for the Performas, so I started taking one apart.  Not the easiest tear down, I'll tell you!  I was wondering if can use the floppy drive in the old IIsi Macs and IIci Macs, and use the CD-ROM in my old beige G3 PowerMacs.  I have seen pieces parts of Performa 6200 Macs on eBay, so I realize I could probably part the units out and sell them off, but since it is getting so difficult to find parts for the old  Mac II line, I'd like to be able to keep some replacement parts stockpiled.

So, are the floppy and CD-ROM drives usuable in my other Macs, or should I just hit eBay and sell them off?

Well the answer is yes and no.

The floppy drive will probably work, but IIRC IIsi's and IIci's are of the auto-inject type and the Performa is not.

Concerning the CD rom, the 6200 is 4X where the G3 is 24X, and i have no 6200 but the CD rom is probably still SCSI when the G3 is ATAPI.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know.  It sounds like I am better off parting it out.  

The CD-ROM is indeed SCSI.  It says so on the back.  There is also some kind of adapter where the cable would normally go.  If I can figure out how to upload a picture to this thread, I will post one.

post-5977-0-33002200-1447951653_thumb.jpg

Figured it out!

Floofies, would you need the sled too?  As far as I know, the CD-ROM works, it did when I stashed the Performa several years ago.  I do not know how to test it without putting it back into the case, and I don't want to put that thing back together unless I absolutely must.  Taking it apart was difficult, I can't imagine putting it back together is any better.

Edited by Iamanamma

Floofies, would you need the sled too?  As far as I know, the CD-ROM works, it did when I stashed the Performa several years ago.  I do not know how to test it without putting it back into the case, and I don't want to put that thing back together unless I absolutely must.  Taking it apart was difficult, I can't imagine putting it back together is any better.

I think I would need the sled too. My Q630 never had a CD drive in it. Maybe we can discuss in PM's?

Edited by Floofies

Well the answer is yes and no.

The floppy drive will probably work, but IIRC IIsi's and IIci's are of the auto-inject type and the Performa is not.

Concerning the CD rom, the 6200 is 4X where the G3 is 24X, and i have no 6200 but the CD rom is probably still SCSI when the G3 is ATAPI.

Correct as far as the floppy drive goes... will work but will not be able to be used with the case on, as no, they arent auto-inject whereas the IIci and IIsi are... this said, if it works, you definitely should hold onto it as a testing, go-to and whatever device.

As for the CD-ROM drive, whilst it is correct on both counts  that the beige G3 came with a 24x ATAPI CD-ROM, it also was the last desktop Mac to ship with an onboard SCSI controller and has an internal fast-SCSI port and supports SCSI booting. As such, in dire straits there is no reason you could not still use the SCSi device also.

That said, it should also work in a Q630 also.

I hold onto all my working drives as they are getting to an age where they are failing a little more than they once did.

Thanks Schmoburger, that was a good in depth answer!  I am going through all of the old Macs at my workplace, and we are getting rid of the stockpile of ones we are unlikely to use again.  We will be keeping anything IIsi or IIci, and all our beige G3s.  I am planning on getting rid of the Performas and all PowerMac 7100 and 7200 units.  I really don't need them for anything. I hope to be listing them on the trading post forum during the next month.  Thanks!