Jump to content
Pascalg

Recapping : if it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Recommended Posts

I read everywhere that you should preventively recap all old Macs. This process is complex and takes time and expertise that I don’t have. There is also the question about what to recap, analog board? Motherboard? PSU ? All of them ?

 

I the perspective of finding the sweet spot between effort/cost and risk of damage to the computer would it make sense to recap only components that, if they explode, may cause great damage and leave the others alone and change them only when they break down? 
if yes what would be the elements that definitely needs to be recapped?

Edited by Pascalg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the machine. 

 

Anything SE/30, Mac II series, etc need fully recapped. Same with the Classic, Classic 2. 

 

There is just no getting around it. and you riding on bald tires if you do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capacitors don't live in a bubble .. they are connected to other components, some that are not cheap/impossible to replace.  Why take the chance of a dying capacitor (which is cheap to replace) destroy a component that is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the capacitors are bad (machine doesn't run or has issues) or they are leaking replace them. Some systems the capacitors are in areas that will kill important traces or chips, others not so much.

 

Just be careful because you can turn a working system into junk by reworking it and not having a clue what you are doing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following off of what Unknown_K is saying - practicing on a junk board is highly recommended before touching something valuable and vintage. I was able to dig up an ancient cable modem that had a handful of SMD caps inside prior to attempting my first recap. Soldered a bunch of good new caps on to replicate the experience (it's worth the money). At the very least, this could help give you an idea of how things will go for you. 

 

Also, beware of diving into using hot air. That's where things can go south rather quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advices. As I don’t know how to solder and it’s difficult to find people that are recapping as a service in Europe, I was hoping that I could send for recap only one of the board of each system that I have ( I have 7 classic and a Lisa 2). 
Given all the messages above, I think I will have to take some soldering lessons and try to do it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pascalg said:

Thanks for your advices. As I don’t know how to solder and it’s difficult to find people that are recapping as a service in Europe, I was hoping that I could send for recap only one of the board of each system that I have ( I have 7 classic and a Lisa 2). 
Given all the messages above, I think I will have to take some soldering lessons and try to do it myself.

For what it's worth, this guy is in Ireland and appears to be active and receiving positive reviews: 

https://vintagerecapeurope.wixsite.com/vintagerecapeurope/recapping

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, techknight said:

We also have a resident evil genius @Bolle in here as well, He is in Germany and may be your best bet.  

Thanks, I have been already advised to contact him and I already tried but with no success. I will try again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electrolytic capacitors leak a corrosive goo.   Even if you don't immediately replace the old capacitors, thoroughly clean the logic board to remove the corrosive residue.   It doesn't leak quickly, so you'll be okay for a while with a cleaned board.  Okay, in the sense that things aren't actively corroding.   Whether it will work with leaking caps or not, depends...

 

These days I don't generally have or make time to replace caps, but if I see a logic board I just can't resist, as soon as I get it home, I remove the old caps and clean the board, then usually into storage without any caps, until....someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, dzog said:

For what it's worth, this guy is in Ireland and appears to be active and receiving positive reviews: 

https://vintagerecapeurope.wixsite.com/vintagerecapeurope/recapping

 

I believe that's @falen5 here on the 68kMLA forums. I recall seeing his massive Mac collection and being instantly jealous. :cheesy:

 

I'd recommend just going ahead and replacing the capacitors, at least the logic board. But I highly recommend paying someone else to do it if you're like me and inexperienced (and/or horrible) at soldering. As others have mentioned, these caps leak. While not nearly as immediately destructive as the battery bombs, the electrolyte will eventually eat through the traces on the board causing all sorts of crazy issues and shorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Garrett said:

 

I'd recommend just going ahead and replacing the capacitors, at least the logic board. But I highly recommend paying someone else to do it if you're like me and inexperienced (and/or horrible) at soldering. As others have mentioned, these caps leak. While not nearly as immediately destructive as the battery bombs, the electrolyte will eventually eat through the traces on the board causing all sorts of crazy issues and shorts.

Thanks fo the tip ! With the help of this group I now have 2-3 adresses in Europe To work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×