CompaqMac

Minimum Compact Mac Value?

In 1996, I bought a 3’ x 3’ x 6’ cage of computers from a Salvation Army for $100 flat.

From that haul, I got about 11 9pin monitors, various Microsoft type computers, and 2 Q-950s, a WGS 95, and a Q-800.

Trashed all the Microsoft stuff,  sold one of the 950s for $100, which made the whole lot free.

2 years ago, I sold the WGS card for $150.

Other things I got for free / saved from being put in the trash; SE, SE/30, Classic II, G3 DT, G3 AIO, PB 520, G4 iBook.

If ya keep looking and be patient, they can be found free or cheap.

I got a SE SuperDrive for $30, Mac mini G4 for $32 (because it came /w PSU), my main Macbook 09 for $50  ......

Of course, the mini is going up in price because now there’s a version of OS 9 that can run natively, as well as MorphOS..

I’m also looking into getting another SE for $30 locally. (No mouse or keyboard) 

AND!!! Expensive Vs. Affordable. When I look a the sold SEs on eBay, I see broken, cracked, abused machines selling for upwards of $100.

Sombody has the expense to afford that.

I do not.

There are also clean and good working SEs selling for $40.

I don’t know what the pattern / mystery is.

Edited by jimjimx

1 hour ago, jimjimx said:

In 1996, I bought a 3’ x 3’ x 6’ cage of computers from a Salvation Army for $100 flat.

From that haul, I got about 11 9pin monitors, various Microsoft type computers, and 2 Q-950s, a WGS 95, and a Q-800.

Trashed all the Microsoft stuff,  sold one of the 950s for $100, which made the whole lot free.

2 years ago, I sold the WGS card for $150.

Other things I got for free / saved from being put in the trash; SE, SE/30, Classic II, G3 DT, G3 AIO, PB 520, G4 iBook.

If ya keep looking and be patient, they can be found free or cheap.

I got a SE SuperDrive for $30, Mac mini G4 for $32 (because it came /w PSU), my main Macbook 09 for $50  ......

Of course, the mini is going up in price because now there’s a version of OS 9 that can run natively, as well as MorphOS..

I’m also looking into getting another SE for $30 locally. (No mouse or keyboard) 

AND!!! Expensive Vs. Affordable. When I look a the sold SEs on eBay, I see broken, cracked, abused machines selling for upwards of $100.

I do not.

There are also clean and good working SEs selling for $40.

I don’t know what the pattern / mystery is.

I bought an SE FDHD for $40 this week off of Craiglist in California.  It’s pretty yellowed, but the case is in good shape besides that.  Harddrive won’t boot but the CRT looks good.  Finding this machine is actually what prompted me to start this thread.  I offered the $40 without knowing whether the machine would turn on because the seller had no power cable and I had to drive 40 minutes to get it (i.e. I was going to buy it, broken or not, once I got there).  I wasn’t  sure if I was getting over zealous for machines without keyboards and mice, but it was the first local one Ive found in weeks of searching.

Edited by CompaqMac

1 hour ago, jimjimx said:

I do not.

Even though I could afford that, there’s no way I’d pay that price for something all messed up that I didn’t even know if it worked or not.

8 minutes ago, CompaqMac said:

I bought an SE FDHD for $40 this week off of Craiglist in California.  It’s pretty yellowed, but the case is in good shape besides that.  Harddrive won’t boot but the CRT looks good.  Finding this machine is actually what prompted me to start this thread.  I offered the $40 without knowing whether the machine would turn on because the seller had no power cable and I had to drive 40 minutes to get it (i.e. I was going to buy it, broken or not, way once I got there).  

Fantastic!!!  How did it turn out? Is it working? Did it have a reverse zero volt battery? (That’s when they “explode”)

A year ago I found a “Jackery Powerbar” for $100, and I can show up and power up a compact Mac off of it for about a hour and a half, so I’m going to bring that with me when I get the $30 SE, along with a boot floppy, mouse & keyboard, along with one of the 3rd party “Mac bags” to carry it. Oh! That’s another thing. In ‘97 I got a 512kE /w ext floppy, key & mouse, and 3rd party bag for $17 at thrift store, bought another 3rd party bag on eBay for $25, and the official Apple bag on Craigslist for $20.

Plus: THE nostalgia computer as far as I'm concerned. It's the one we had (that I still have) and gives unparalleled access to weird games or very old software that predate System 6 by years and are badly coded with straight memory addresses and would crash on a SE. It's not easy bringing software to it in 2019 (you need another machine or floppyemu) and more speed would be kind of nice in some games (SE or SE/30 levels).

SE: with a working HD, is just a charm. Has some compatibility issues with some very olden things. Much cheaper than a SE/30, I got it as a backup compact in case my Plus went dead in the 00's

SE/30: I got this one free in a big lot along with a water damaged 512k (which I didn't keep), a iifx (which worked for a bit, then died - I didn't keep it) a LCIII (works I think, but needs an external HD plugged in). I didn't have the time and skills 15 years ago to repair the ones which didn't work but I'm glad I have a "speedy" compact mac for my System 7 needs since it's miserable on my Plus (but it's now moot because my Hyperdrive FX/20 external I was using with my Plus has kicked it and I'm looking to repair it).

Edited by Mu0n

Has anyone tried SCSI Ethernet on a Plus? I’m using an Asante EN/SC on my SE/30 (accelerator plus grayscale so no room for a Maccon) and it works brilliantly. 

@LaPorta

you forgot to quote “expensive Vs. affordable”

Right now, I have a SE/30 that’s fully happy, and a turbo 040, just sitting in a box. 

I sent the IIx adapter to @Trash80toHP_Mini to help with it. 

The adaptor for the SE/30 is a *bit* expensive, (but I understand the work that was put into it, and appreciate it) and currently unaffordable.

It’ll cost me $90 to get it!!

Right now, that’s both..

Its a fking adapter!!!

....p and, I sent off my adapter for the IIx, to have the GAL read to help with this.....

Edited by jimjimx

Really just a case by case basis.  If something needs 5 hours of my time and $30 of capacitors and will be worth $30 when it's fixed, it better be free.  A nice clean item that I think I can break even on if I decide to sell off later is a good buy.  

Assigning arbitrary minimum values to things is an exercise in futility.

4 hours ago, jimjimx said:

Fantastic!!!  How did it turn out? Is it working? Did it have a reverse zero volt battery? (That’s when they “explode”)

Yes, it powered on, and the CRT looked perfect.  The HD was making a lot of noise and would never boot.  I’ve since torn it down, and the logic board was clean.  I took out the socketed purple Tadiran battery (10/1989) without issue.

I’m awaiting some supplies to fully service both this SE and my Mac Plus, so I will try to give more updates (beg for help most likely) on both in the near future.