Byte Knight

Netatalk SD Card Image?

Does anyone have a ready-to-use SD card image of Netatalk for the RPi that works with OS 7.5-9.2?  I have not had any luck getting it set up properly...

Thanks in advance.

Have a look here:

While I don't have a RPi or SD image, I do have netatalk running on Lubuntu and all of my macs running OS 6-9 can connect to it.

Edited by Von
typo

Worth looking at A2Server - it's designed for explicitly this task, just, with AppleTalk-equipped Apple IIe/c and IIgs computers in mind.

What are you looking to do in particular? VTools may be another option if you have ethernet and 7.5+ with all the relevant opentransport and appleshare updates.

1 hour ago, Von said:

I do have netatalk running on Lubuntu and all of my macs running OS 6-9 can connect to it.

Which version, of both Ubuntu/Lubuntu and Netatalk?

Around ten years ago, you could "apt-get install netatalk" on a debian system and it would work pretty much out of the box, but I don't believe Netatalk 3 supports all the same stuff Netatalk 2 did.

Thanks for the info.  I've got a RPi running TCP'ser to emulate a Hayes modem for my BBS, and I figured that it could also be used as a backup server for my old Macs, and possibly link to it for the Mac download section of the BBS in the future.

The applefool site looks quite daunting - that's why I was hoping somebody had a prebuilt image...

I've tried to get A2Server up and running but get the "Apple II clients cannot connect because Appletalk networking is unavailable..." message.  I'm using Raspbian and it's supposed to automatically install Appletalk for you, but this does not appear to be the case.

I already have an account on VTools, but I was looking to set up something more local.

Edited by Byte Knight

1 hour ago, Cory5412 said:

Which version, of both Ubuntu/Lubuntu and Netatalk?

Around ten years ago, you could "apt-get install netatalk" on a debian system and it would work pretty much out of the box, but I don't believe Netatalk 3 supports all the same stuff Netatalk 2 did.

Lubuntu 17.10

I started with this and have not updated it as I don't want anything to break

Netatalk 2.2.6

You are correct, Netatalk 3.0 dropped support for old Macs so I went with the last 2.x available.  Running this didn't work with OS X so I added Samba.

Samba 2:4.6.7 -- not sure if that is visible in the screen below.

Very open Samba settings pointing to the same folder allows OS X and Windows, DOS, OS/2, BeOS as well as Mac OS 6-9 to access and share files.  Very helpful in moving stuff around.

Below show it running as VMware Fusion VM. I also have this same setup on an old IBM X31 laptop.

I have been meaning to build a version of this VM to share here but there has been no time...

842845330_Screenshot2019-07-1121_51_16.thumb.png.35ef81322dab27fbf931dd768c83dd20.png

Edited by Von
wrong version edited

A2Server works fine with classic MacOS machines as well since the Apple IIgs and IIe Appletalk stacks are from the same era (AppleShare 3.0), A2Server also includes Samba so Windows machines can access the shares as well.

I can vouch for using A2server, as NJRoadfan said it is not just for Apple 2's and is a great solution for connecting older Macs.

You may also want to look at MaciPpi.  It is another great pre-configured Netatalk solution.  

If anyone is interested in signing on to my Pi server with your old Mac, log on to my BBS for instructions (click on link in my signature).  I've only got B&W Mac games up on there now but will be adding much more in the near future...