PotatoFi

SE/30 Fails to Warm Boot

Yo, fellow super-old-Macintosh users!

I recapped an SE/30 for a good friend of mine, and mailed the board back to him. IT WORKED! He got A/UX installed on it last night, but we're running into a weird problem. It boots up completely fine, but upon reboot, sometimes it will only show the last image on the screen before he flipped the power switch, and will not boot beyond that.

If he shuts it down for 30 minutes and boots it back up, it's fine. It only does this when he attempts a warm boot. Any ideas? I feel like it's related to the ROM, so I know he cleaned the ROM card contacts. He also just bought a ROM-inator II which he has not installed yet.

Do you have a scope?

Take a look at the reset line and check if that it makes its way everywhere it should go.

Looks like some components aren’t resetting properly.

I don't think he has access to a scope... is the reset line the same as what gets triggered by the programmer's reset switch?

Nope, the switch triggers a separate signal that goes to the Sony soundchips.

The soundchips then control the system reset.

Grab the schematics and check all places where the reset signal from UB11 pin 5 connects to.

Additional data point: restarting the SE/30 seems fine, but if you power it off with the power switch, and power it back on, that's when the problem occurs. Apparently, other than that, it's been happily running A/UX all day and accepting Telnet sessions! I am totally jealous, sounds like a sweet little machine!