PotatoFi

Craigslist Mac SE, Mac SE, and Mac Plus

Check out what I picked up on Craigslist today!

IMG_20190412_134928.thumb.jpg.56719240dd131e856500ccf4b75b74fe.jpg

Macintosh SE

• 2.5 mb of RAM
  • Boots to desktop
  • ADB keyboard and mouse

Macintosh SE

• Sad mac (undiagnosed)
  • ADB keyboard and mouse

Macintosh Plus

• Boots to desktop
  • Appears to have a System disk in the drive, since it booted up

He had them all for sale separately, but I sent him a photo of my restored Mac SE, and made him an offer for all three. After a bit of haggling, he accepted my offer. He was excited that someone was interested in restoring them, and was interested in my retrobrite methods.

I had something similar happen with a car a couple of months ago... I have a nice 3-series BMW that I rebuilt and polished up. I found a manual 5-speed of the same car on Craigslist, and ultimately, the seller accepted my offer over others because I was an enthusiast with a car that was well-cared for. I think some sellers like assurance that the things they're selling will be enjoyed and taken care of.

I just got them home and haven't even powered them on yet. I'll pop the backs off shortly to see if there is any battery damage. I do worry that the sad mac unit could have a leaky battery. Will post updates as I have them!

Great progress on these yesterday! "Macintosh SE One" as I'm calling it supposedly would boot up, but I decided to skip trying to boot it up and go straight to restoration.

IMG_0248.thumb.JPG.68829cc96d2b6671860054c9a97abf8a.JPG

On the outside, this thing was a REAL mess. In two places, someone had written something in Sharpie, and then scribbled all over the sharpie. There were lots of black marks, adhesive left over from stuff, and Scotch tape left from taping things to it over the years. There was even a very stubborn tape residue on the CRT, which has medium burn-in (on a scale of light, medium, and heavy).

IMG_0249.thumb.JPG.25842a324b2945072cd38d22e27e1f45.JPG

I removed the logic board and rinsed it off under tap water, scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush. It probably didn't need it, but it's nice to know that it's clean. I let it dry overnight, and out in the sun the next morning. The only surprise inside was the "squirrel cage" fan on the analog board. This is only the third Macintosh SE that I've had apart, so I'd never seen one before.

IMG_20190413_125053.thumb.jpg.d4f73457b816bad2fe0672fa59b8331d.jpg

I also removed the Apple logo from the front by gently pressing on it from the rear with a small screwdriver. I don't do this when I Retrobrite with a UV lamp (low temperature), but since I was going to Retrobrite outside in the sun, I didn't want to risk bleaching the yellow color out of the logo.

I took Isopropyl alcohol to the Sharpie, it got it 90 percent off but there was still some left. In the background you can see two SE logic boards drying in front of the fireplace (no fire).

IMG_0253.thumb.JPG.a017bdfa103fd9296693efb0874a1627.JPG

I took it outside and gave it a good scrub with Dawn and a toothbrush, and then went back to the tougher stuff with a damp paper towel and baking soda. I try not to scrub too hard with baking soda, as I've noticed that it acts as a light abrasive. It did completely remove the Sharpie and just about everything else. This step is always the most impressive, imo.

IMG_20190413_130351.thumb.jpg.68c7e944e93ac4ccae1b198a6a4e002c.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the Retrobrite... but I just used a Sterilite plastic container, one gallon of 30 proof liquid Hyrogen Peroxide (Salon Care), and the rest with water. Using the sun is WAY faster than my UV lamp, which typically takes a couple of days. It wasn't even full sun... scattered clouds.

No pictures of this part, but I blew the dust out of all the internal components, and cleaned out the floppy drive. Compressed air, alcohol on cotton swaps to remove the old lithium grease, and then a few drops of Dupont Teflon Silicone Lubricant. I use this stuff on the linear rails on my 3D printer, and figured it would work fine here. Lithium grease seems too thick and gooey to me. I also checked the eject gears and they looked great, but I added a couple drops of Teflon lubricant. Disks basically fly out of the drive now!

I used a couple dabs of hot glue on the speaker. I didn't do this on my Macintosh SE FDHD so the speaker moves around in there... why didn't I think of this before?

IMG_0259.thumb.JPG.b1668df3279b38664ebf05b6493644ef.JPG

So one more time, here is before:

IMG_0249.thumb.JPG.25842a324b2945072cd38d22e27e1f45.JPG

And here is after!

IMG_0260.thumb.JPG.7e0c85a52e7b7534fe02313887616d28.JPG

Not bad for one day of work.

IMG_0261.thumb.JPG.4efda987fd06817652bc7c95a5adafd3.JPG

I was not surprised when it happily booted up, but there are two outstanding issues:

1. The fan is SUPER NOISY, it's awful. I need to replace it, but it's that "squirrel cage". Any advice on replacements? Perhaps get a Noctua and 3D print a mount for it?
  2. The video "shimmers" a bit - it's not super stable. Bad capacitors on the analog board?
Edited by PotatoFi

Great job there. It looks magnificent. 

I personally use scotch tape to stick the speaker back in. Doesn't look elegant but at least it's easy to remove it for future retr0bright sessions. 

This is an early SE: stepper motor HD and squirrel-cage fan. Those are loud but they're period correct. If I were you, I would upgrade both or leave it as is. It's up to you though. My M5010 SE (twin floppy model) once had the squirrel-cage fan but the previous owner upgraded it. I might go for a Noctua and a SCSI2SD to make it completely silent.

As for the video issue... could be a number of things. Something as simple as a bad solder joint can cause this. I would refresh every single one before moving on to recapping it. Those boards kinda need it nowadays anyhow. 

For next time and for others tuning in.

edit: also give baking powder a try for a less abrasive cleaner than baking soda. Baking soda is pure alkaline/base PH, baking powder is a finer grade (abrasive) of baking soda mixed with an acidic ingredient and stabilizer. It'll give an acid/base foaming reaction when mixed with water while you're cleaning. Cream of Tartar is commonly the acidic additive and it can be used for cleaning on its own when you need only acidic properties

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I'm jealous of that fan, it looks awesome to me. I've never been bothered by the sound level of computers and I've never seen that kind of fan before.