JDW

SE/30: RAM configuration with 16MB SIMMs

@JDW you don’t need an external power source to run SCSI2SD on an SE/30 ... it takes power from the SCSI bus.  I run a SCSI2SD 5.0 in a gutted HD-20SC enclosure for exactly the purpose you mentioned (easily move between machines externally) and it works great.  (I happen to use a PSU in mine because I use it with an accelerated Plus, but it’s not needed for the SE/30.)

Wow i like the sound of your setup I would definitely like several os’s as there’s some games I want that won’t work on 7.5.5 that i want. I’ve just brought an analogue board and power supply which I’m looking to re cap soon and change over as I’m getting a bit of screen wobble/flicker so after that i’ll look at hhd and fresh installs, also scsi2sd at the same time but both the later options may not be until next year after house move. I already have 128mb ram but no accelerator.

ah well i have a few pics already :)

58B1E9B7-D517-413B-89F0-8720586EA5EA.thumb.jpeg.a5696ab3f02694b8e333f8f6b798e87a.jpegC76D193F-421D-411E-A905-15783C8A2FAE.thumb.jpeg.f16a1e000b60241422735c6b00dbcbb7.jpegC815033A-510E-41D5-9D30-AAECFCE5617D.thumb.jpeg.5eeba17ff950f7c72cd6e1a52a59ec12.jpeg

Edited by SE30_Neal

5 hours ago, Crutch said:

@JDW you don’t need an external power source to run SCSI2SD on an SE/30 ... it takes power from the SCSI bus.  I run a SCSI2SD 5.0 in a gutted HD-20SC enclosure for exactly the purpose you mentioned (easily move between machines externally) and it works great.  (I happen to use a PSU in mine because I use it with an accelerated Plus, but it’s not needed for the SE/30.)

You have a few other compacts, a plus? What do you do with those? Nice idea the scsi in the sc20 case

3 hours ago, SE30_Neal said:

I’ve just brought an analogue board and power supply which I’m looking to re cap soon and change over as I’m getting a bit of screen wobble/flicker so after that i’ll look at hhd and fresh installs, also scsi2sd at the same time but both the later options may not be until next year after house move...

I have recapping walk-through videos cover the Analog Board and SONY PSU.  I also have a video on how to use the SEASONIC power supply as a replacement PSU, for those who don't have a SONY PSU or who want something more powerful.  I don't yet have a motherboard recapping video because all my motherboards are already recapped.  You should also open your keyboard to check if that needs recapping (they often do).  About the only thing I've not recapped yet is my Micron Xceed Grayscale adapter, which uses electrolytic caps.  (The stock SE/30 Yoke board doesn't, so you need not worry about that.)

2 minutes ago, JDW said:

I have recapping walk-through videos cover the Analog Board and SONY PSU.  I also have a video on how to use the SEASONIC power supply as a replacement PSU, for those who don't have a SONY PSU or who want something more powerful.  I don't yet have a motherboard recapping video because all my motherboards are already recapped.  You should also open your keyboard to check if that needs recapping (they often do).  About the only thing I've not recapped yet is my Micron Xceed Grayscale adapter, which uses electrolytic caps.  (The stock SE/30 Yoke board doesn't, so you need not worry about that.)

Great thank you JDW thats just what i needed. Ive only just ordered a soldering iron so a complete novice. Would you also have a component list with the values to hand as well so i know I’m ordering the right caps and diodes? 

Yes.  I include all the nitty gritty details in the text description under all my YouTube videos.  Simple click SHOW MORE to expand that text on YouTube.  And be sure to read all the descriptions under all my videos because they are all different.  That text in combination with the video tells you pretty much everything you need to know.  But after reading and watching if you do have a question, please post it under the video as it may be helpful for others.  I read and reply to every single comment.

9 minutes ago, JDW said:

Yes.  I include all the nitty gritty details in the text description under all my YouTube videos.  Simple click SHOW MORE to expand that text on YouTube.  And be sure to read all the descriptions under all my videos because they are all different.  That text in combination with the video tells you pretty much everything you need to know.  But after reading and watching if you do have a question, please post it under the video as it may be helpful for others.  I read and reply to every single comment.

Fabulous us novices would be lost without good folks like yourself! I’ve saved it to my home screen for now as I’ll be looking to perform the surgery in 4-5 weeks time (several commitments over the next 3 weekends thanks to the wife). Luckily i paid to have the motherboard done so just the analogue board and Sony PSU like your vid which i want to do myself :)

Edited by SE30_Neal

1 hour ago, JDW said:

Brilliant just watched it well 1hr 7 so far but its 12 midnight here so was good to see it even if i’m not going to do it just yet :)

Thank you for watching.  I would say you are doing better than most.  YouTube Analytics as of today shows the average view duration to be a mere 9 minutes on my 1 hour videos, and none of them currently have more than 410 even though they've been out a few months.  It's somewhat disappointing. I guess our vintage Mac community is smaller than I thought, or even fewer people have an SE or SE/30 to care.  (Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled on the 210,000+ views on my 2009 iMac Video Card Bake video.) But no matter, I don't make videos to make money.  I've never made a cent off YouTube.  I do it for the enjoyment of helping others who share my hobby.  Glad to hear these videos could be of help to you, Neal!

9 minutes ago, JDW said:

Thank you for watching.  I would say you are doing better than most.  YouTube Analytics as of today shows the average view duration to be a mere 9 minutes on my 1 hour videos, and none of them currently have more than 410 even though they've been out a few months.  It's somewhat disappointing. I guess our vintage Mac community is smaller than I thought, or even fewer people have an SE or SE/30 to care.  (Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled on the 210,000+ views on my 2009 iMac Video Card Bake video.) But no matter, I don't make videos to make money.  I've never made a cent off YouTube.  I do it for the enjoyment of helping others who share my hobby.  Glad to hear these videos could be of help to you, Neal!

Watched it all. Great job it gives me the heads up before i go ahead and try it myself and what tools i may need, I’m still a bit worried as I’ve not done this before but you have to start somewhere and having 30 yr old electronics as a hobby i need to try. I have a rev 1 board from an SE I figure i try it on there then repay my original board afterwards once i get my confidence:)