judd sandage

Macintosh TV questions

Are you sure the ZIP drive is a SCSI unit?

They made those with parallel ports as well. They both look the same but plugging the parallel drive into an SCSI port will at least damage the hosts SCSI controller.

I am 100% positive its SCSI compatible, its a Zip Plus drive, both parallel and SCSI on the same device, using its cable its "auto sensing" so it should work. and it was practically brand new, doesn't look like it had ever been used, granted I don't know if it really works or not, as I have no working PC right now with a parallel port on it.

ITS WORKING!!!!! kinda,

I finally bought all the caps needed to recap the analog board (have the list if anyone wants it) and its now booting, and giving the ?, was able to boot from the legacy installer disc and it could not see what was an already installed OS on the SCSI2SD adapter, after lots of trial and error I was finally able to get it to see the SD card again and installed 7,1 on to it yesterday... however I can't seem to get the mac to boot from it now, and loading the legacy CD and using drive partitioning software it shows the drive as unmounted, any suggestions?

One of the things I did is double check all the settings on the SCSI2SD adapter, to make sure they were correct, and they seem to be that way.

20190602_222105_HDR.jpg

Congratulations! That monitor needs some adjustment. The Macintosh TV service manual will have the instructions(it will specify cutoffs, how much black border, etc), and I think you will need Apple display service program to show the patterns.

overall though, looks good! Startup chime loud and clear?

Its been a few months since I set mine up but one of the things I found not clear in the set up tutorials was that you need to use a patched version of the HD SC Setup tool to mount the volume, the version I used was 7.3.5(patched). The patch allows the non Apple disk to be recognized. I see it's available on the Macintosh Garden.

Edited by Mac TV Diver

the tv board has caops also, but recheck the traces of the motherboard, also did you clean it well as the leftover goo and crust is conductive and can cause issues like your mentioning.  Ive washed mine and brought them back to life with more success than not.

Good evening, sorry I work nights and sleep during the days, anyways I finally got it working when I got home this morning, I resized the SCSI2SD image size to 1.85GB and then using the recovery CD reinstalled the OS (version 7.1 for the MacTV, I will upgrade it to 7.6.1 eventually) on to the SD card, gave it a restart and its booting from the SD now, as I have the Zip drive I thought I would install the drivers and then hook it up, drivers installed however I cant get the mac to do anything but try and boot from the zip drive, disk in or out it will not boot from the SD card. any suggestions?

and the tuner card is out of the system till I recap it, and yes I cleaned under each of the caps that looked like there was an issue, only 2 though. the rest were clean and dry as a bone. so I might not have needed to replace all the caps, but I am not willing to try and test all of them.

Also one odd issue, I have a bunch of old floppies, and not a single one will format properly, I pop it in and it tells me the disk needs to be initialized, so I have t do so, it gets thru that and starts to format then validating format then ejects and says there is a problem with the disc, could I have messed something up on the floppy drive when I cleaned it out? and it really needed the cleaning as it was full of hair and dust and would not eject or accept disks properly.

20190405_111834.jpg

Have you tried with a fresh floppy?  It’s possible your old floppies were ruined when inserted in the drive before it was cleaned.

I don't really have "fresh" floppyies, all old ones sitting around, never had Macs before so I don't have anything I know is formatted mac. but I have tried a bunch after cleaning that were not used before.

you know, I've been wondering if it might be worthwhile to create some premade scsi2sd images for systems such as the Macintosh TV and others where floppy install was the preferred restore disc format.

I personally used the floppy images to make a restore set for my MacTVs, but would expect BMOW floppy emulator would work well too.

Also, the sony pcb on the tuner card can be replaced with a new pcb if it's easier than recapping, but if you're planning to recap the whole tuner, remember, theres a lot of caps INSIDE the RF cage as well.

you'll need to remove the solder locking the shield shit, but then it just pops open. not easy to recap anything in there however, but for a true "proper" recap, it's going to be needed. (I personally decided to skip everything on my tuner boards as they're doing fine)

sadly, I suffered battery damage on one of my boards, and need to replace the CUDA chip (thankfully a relatively easy replacement)

18 hours ago, defor said:

you know, I've been wondering if it might be worthwhile to create some premade scsi2sd images for systems such as the Macintosh TV and others where floppy install was the preferred restore disc format.

I personally used the floppy images to make a restore set for my MacTVs, but would expect BMOW floppy emulator would work well too.

The legacy recovery disc I linked to on the Macintosh Garden site works quite well from CD, and at least the MacTV does have a CD-ROM built in. And it does include all software needed for that Mac, upgrading past 7.1 however it loses the ability to call the Mac by its name for some reason when you look at about this Mac.

regardless, any suggestions on my issues with the Zip Drive?

is it a real scsi zip drive or the pc parallel version?  if it doesnt say scsi you can cause damage.  if it is scsi, make sure you turn on termination on the zip drive.  if it doesnt have a termination switch its not a scsi zip.

is it a real scsi zip drive or the pc parallel version?  if it doesnt say scsi you can cause damage.  if it is scsi, make sure you turn on termination on the zip drive.  if it doesnt have a termination switch its not a scsi zip.

Also zip tools must be installed on the hard disk, or disk inserted before computer power on with extention on the disk to show up.

if you says its parallel and scsi? , never seen those personally.

It is a "real" SCSI Zip drive, though its the Zip100 Plus in that it supports both SCSI and Parallel, just depends on how the cable is attached, however there is only a SCSI ID selection on the back and no termination option. And the Zip Tools are installed, I did that before hooking the drive up.