Sign in to follow this  
ninjafist1

First TAM, first problem

Hey everyone, so I replaced the HDD with a CF in my new TAM, used an IDE to CF adapter. Booted it up and nothing, black screen. Fan spun up, I believe it tried to read the CD which was the restore disc, also tried an OS 8 disc, and nothing. Went back to the old HDD and no problems. Any ideas? Was I not hitting the right combo of keys? Can it not see my CF card? I did notice that the IDE cable had a little plug in one hole that I had to pull to get the CF adapter to go on but I used parts that were recommended here in an older post. Any help? Protocol? Thanks

Welcome to the TAM owners club!

Make absolutely sure that you've got some type of shielding between the IDE to CF card and the metal HD bracket.  Those adapters can and do short out the machine, which best case leads to it not booting, but worst case can toast the CF card or the TAM itself.  I found that out when I loaded a whole bunch of software on a 16GB card, then after shutting it down and rebooting found the card completely blank.  After replacing the card (it tested bad after that) I rigged together an old laptop HD caddy to put something plastic between the CF to IDE adapter and the HD bracket and I was back in business.

Hey thanks! Well it didn't fit in the hdbracket directly as the screw holes didn't line up. Ended up using some peel and stick Velcro on the adapter and the hard drive bracket to connect the two. This adapter isn't the kind that's like a bare PCB, it's in a plastic case. But duly noted, if I put it back in I will make sure to find a way to make it shielded

On 9/23/2018 at 10:11 PM, ninjafist1 said:

Can it not see my CF card?

I vote for this being the problem.

4 hours ago, haplain said:

Make sure the system OS is blessed... I've found this to be the issue most of the time.

He's getting a black screen, so at this point, it doesn't matter whether his System is blessed or not.

Got it working everyone!  I believe the problem was the extra pin on the adapter, broke it off and voila.  Card is now partitioned into two volumes, 7.6.2 on one of them, and 9.1 on the other.  Thanks!