Shiva EtherGate Internet Manager

Hi,

I wonder if anybody can help me:

I have a Shiva EtherGate Router (Connects LocalTalk and Ethernet with
AppleTalk and EtherTalk) and I need to configure it for my museum’s
network.
I remember there was a special software utility called „Internet
Manager“ to configure it. Although the name would imply it – it has in fact
nothing to do with the real Internet! One can create AppleTalk zones, define the port
use, and eventually tunnelling of IP traffic.

Anyway, I searched around a lot, but the only EtherGate related software I
can find are drivers, extensions and firmware for the EtherGate, but not the
configuration tool.
Maybe someone has a tip for me? Or has it possibly somewhere?

I appreciate any help, hints or tips!

Thanks

Ret Marut

(a German Mac Veteran ;-))
Apple ][ europlus, Macintosh Plus, SE, Performa LC475, 6400, PowerBook 100,
150, 2400c, iMac bondi blue, iBook Clam shell, G4 Cube ...

Finding any Shiva/Kinetics software is going to be tough as Intel wiped everything off the face of the internet after they bought the company out (Internet Archive didn't pick it up since all software was on their FTP site). The only thing out there is the Shiva "Net Manager" software that is used to configure the FastPath 5, but it doesn't seem to support the EtherGate.

Phil to the rescue(?), see if this is what you need: ftp://ftp.ultimate.com/FastPath/shiva-ftp/distrib/ethergate/

Edited by NJRoadfan

On 6/12/2018 at 6:09 PM, Retmarut said:

Thanx NJRoadfan,

with "Net Manager" I see the EtherGate in the device list, but I can't do much with it :-(

I keep on looking...

Did you try the software at the FTP link?

No, sorry, but it doesn‘t seem to work.

Additionally, now the EtherGate does not show up any more. All 3 LEDs are flashing green now; before the Ethernet Link was green and the two Serial Ports were flashing red and green. Seems it has lost its config completely.

But great thanks for your help! I‘ll keep you informed...

a follow up:

The EtherGate died last week - the LEDs were only flashing very dimm. I checked the Vcc - it was only 4.7V. After replacing the uA7805 it is now back from grave (but still in the graveyard :-(!)

It shows up on Shiva's Net Manager 2.5, but I cannot configure it, FastPath Mgr II 5.0 does not show it, neither does the rest of the sw from the ftp link...

On 6/20/2018 at 2:51 PM, Retmarut said:

It shows up on Shiva's Net Manager 2.5, but I cannot configure it, FastPath Mgr II 5.0 does not show it, neither does the rest of the sw from the ftp link...

Might be a long shot, but how about an older version of the software?  I know that my 5.0 software doesn't work with my 4.1 ROMs, and vice versa.

Here's a copy of my 4.1 disks.

Edited by olePigeon

Thanks for your support, but no change. The Ethergate was a successor to the Fastpath, as I remember - manufactured after 1990 (The original Lithium battery in my one was marked 12/90 ... it still had 2.5Volts, btw, after 27 years!).

I have problems opening the MFS formatted disk (network utilities) - but I guess there is nothing in for the EtherGate.

BTW: There is an EtherGate on sale on Ebay - alas, it is 100$ + shipping (to Germany another 70$) and it's not sure, if the Internet Manager is on the disk, I rather doubt it ...

On 6/12/2018 at 4:01 AM, Retmarut said:
Hi,

I wonder if anybody can help me:

I have a Shiva EtherGate Router (Connects LocalTalk and Ethernet with
AppleTalk and EtherTalk) and I need to configure it for my museum’s
network.
I remember there was a special software utility called „Internet
Manager“ to configure it. Although the name would imply it – it has in fact
nothing to do with the real Internet! One can create AppleTalk zones, define the port
use, and eventually tunnelling of IP traffic.

Anyway, I searched around a lot, but the only EtherGate related software I
can find are drivers, extensions and firmware for the EtherGate, but not the
configuration tool.
Maybe someone has a tip for me? Or has it possibly somewhere?

I appreciate any help, hints or tips!

Thanks

Ret Marut

(a German Mac Veteran ;-))
Apple ][ europlus, Macintosh Plus, SE, Performa LC475, 6400, PowerBook 100,
150, 2400c, iMac bondi blue, iBook Clam shell, G4 Cube ...

Hi.  I know this is an old post but I came across it on google. If you still need the Shiva Ethergate Software I am preparing to sell some Ethergates that are new old stock that I've had in storage for 25 years. Still shrink-wrapped. One of the boxes is not still in the shrink-wrap  so I opened it and there are three 800k floppy disks, one says Ethergate Administrators Disk, one says Macintosh Installer Disk and one says MCSA Telnet Disk.

If you are still interested please let me know. I would prefer someone to buy the units but it might be possible to create disk images and upload them, if I can find a Mac with an 800k drive and some utility software.

p.s.  I only subscribed to this forum to let you know I have the software, manuals and hardware for the EtherGate. It looks like a cool site so I'll look around. 

Eric

IMG-0966.jpg

IMG-0967.jpg

Edited by Jalapeno

Hi Eric,

surprise, surprise. Your offer sounds interesting!

I’m still keen of getting my Mac SE (I upgraded it with a 68020 + FPU, 32MHz) into my home net.

Alas, most of the disks offered contain the drivers and chooser extensions, only.

If you have the chance to look inside, and you’ll find the Internet Manager, I would like to buy the disks (I won’t bother with the hardware, saving the mailing costs and customs et al.). 

How are your chances to find a system which can read the disks?

Ret

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

Hi.  I know this is an old post but I came across it on google. If you still need the Shiva Ethergate Software I am preparing to sell some Ethergates that are new old stock that I've had in storage for 25 years.

Eric

I've not seen nor heard much about the Ethergates. Interested in what you might be asking for one with the software, etc.

The Shiva Ethergate is/was a RS485/LocalTalk/Ethernet gateway, internally having a 16MHz MC68000 processor and could connect old style Mac-only networks even with remote networks (early WANs). It came with chooser extension and system extension for the 68k Macs, and still the firmware images are around. But the application to setup routing and configuring the gateway was separate - and seems to have disappeared from this planet - after Intel bought Shiva and wiped their FTP site.

And since that time I’m searching for that ‘Internet Manager’ called software...

;-)

Ret

1 hour ago, Retmarut said:

Hi Eric,

surprise, surprise. Your offer sounds interesting!

I’m still keen of getting my Mac SE (I upgraded it with a 68020 + FPU, 32MHz) into my home net.

Alas, most of the disks offered contain the drivers and chooser extensions, only.

If you have the chance to look inside, and you’ll find the Internet Manager, I would like to buy the disks (I won’t bother with the hardware, saving the mailing costs and customs et al.). 

How are your chances to find a system which can read the disks?

Ret

Here I will post some parts of the manual that mention internet manager. I installed the software on a Mac SE/30 that I found in storage unit and took a screen shot. Please let me know if this is the software that you need.

IMG-0968.jpg

IMG-0969.jpg

IMG-0970.jpg

IMG-0971.jpg

48 minutes ago, ScutBoy said:

I've not seen nor heard much about the Ethergates. Interested in what you might be asking for one with the software, etc.

These are units that Unisys purchased for their networks in the early '90's but were never deployed and are still in their original shrink-wrap. I bought a ton of them 25 years ago when they were clearing out their IT stock rooms of unused equipment.  I haven't decided on a price yet but I'm thinking $100 as a starting bid on eBay as that's what they sold for in the late 2000's at auction. I sold most of them years ago but I still have a half dozen or so in storage. They aren't in my way so I'm in no particular hurry to unload them and most likely won't take less than $100 since they are basically NOS (new, old stock). 

Eric

8 minutes ago, Retmarut said:

Yeah yeah yeah!

That’s it!

Oh man, it does exist. How can I get it? How much do you want?

If you want the disks only then that will basically make one of the units less salable.  But, I am willing to discuss. Please send me your email address in a PM and we can discuss outside of the public eye :)

Eric

This software should be posted to Mac Garden to preserve it and prevent it from disappearing, as it was thought to have until now.

c

This is how it looks like:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c354.thumb.jpg.66dba08370560997bdd2c975fc53083c.jpg

With the 'Internet Manager' you can configure the LocalTalk ports as remote serial  (to connect to remote AppleTalk networks) or as direct network network connection to bridge between Ethernet and LocalTalk. You can also define and setup the zone names and ranges...

The FastPath was the predecessor to the EtherGate – don't know its features. The EtherGate has 2 LT and 1 ETH port, which can be switched between AUI or BNC (10Base5 or 10Base2). In the nineties at Linotype/Germany we used them to connect all printers (LaserWriters) and PCs (PhoneNet) to the Ethernet backbone and also attached remote offices via modems connected to the LT ports...

9 hours ago, olePigeon said:

Oh, very cool.  So ideally you'd want 2 EtherGates, one for each location?

Well, 30 years ago. Today its just about connecting my local 'museum' Macs to the rest of my home network :-)

Shiva and Cayman later created incompatible standards to tunnel Appletalk over TCP/IP (think VPN for AppleTalk networks). The latest revision of the FastPath software supports the unified TunnelTalk standard intended to interoperate tunnels between FastPath and GatorBoxes, but I don't think Cayman ever got around to implementing it.