ortencia

17" Apple monitor beige (manufactured 1996)

This monitor was given to me by a friend who had it stored for a few years. I was surprised that it came on right away and has a beautiful picture...until about a week ago. Now I have three very bright vertical lines, and it also made some noise at the onset of this problem. In additional to the three bright lines, the viewable picture has shrunk in from the left and right (but not from top to bottom.) I would love to keep using this, but the picture really is distorted enough to be a problem.

I would love to keep using this monitor, however I have * no * experience working with CRT monitors / televisions. Does anyone know of a fix for this ?

Thanks in advance.

the viewable picture has shrunk in from the left and right (but not from top to bottom.) I would love to keep using this, but the picture really is distorted enough to be a problem..

Isn't that lovely? I had the exact same problem after having a 20" ColorSync for a month, and had a devil of a time finding the solution.

Try, if you can, to switch to the lowest resolution/refresh rate that you can. That's the work-around for my display. I have to use it at 60Hz. Otherwise, you'll have to open it up and do some solder work.

Yeah, I have an AppleVision 1710AV, with the exact same issue - only that it only happens at lower resolutions, not higher resolutions. At 1024x768 and up, it works basically just like a brand new monitor. However, at 832x624 and below, the display is only half as wide as it should be.

Yeah, I have an AppleVision 1710AV, with the exact same issue - only that it only happens at lower resolutions, not higher resolutions..

hmm...interesting that you and DogCow had opposite situations with regards to the resolution. i will see what happens when i'm back home and can try it out.

i feel like the "green" thing to do would be to try to repair this and keep using it, but the truth is i know nothing about monitors. i started to read an article that went way over my head as it mentioned interlacing, flyback transformer, and the like. i also read somewhere else where someone replaced capacitors which resolved his issue. the latter seems more doable for me.