Forums

1. Important Information

1. The 68kMLA Forum Rules   (10111 visits to this link)

To quote vintage Apple manuals: "Read Me First!"

2. Community Connections

1. General 68kMLA News & Stuff

What's going down in the barracks.

Discuss your latest vintage Mac finds!

Feel free to trade all of your Mac goodies here with all honest intentions. The website provider assumes NO liability, so buyer beware! Please see this topic for more information.

1. RetroChallenge

What can you do given only one month and strictly "retro" hardware? Find out with RetroChallenge!
      http://retrochallenge.org/

The creation and maintenance of the 68kMLA's information repository.
      http://68kmla.org/wiki/

1. Compact Mac

Macintosh, 512k, SE, etc.

Just think, having a Quadra 950 in 1992 would be like having a Mac Pro today… except with more slots, more expandability, and on-board SCSI!

Ah, the consumer computers!

From the Portable to the 190cs.

1. NuBus Power Mac, LC & Performa

The NuBus architecture gets a new brain!

The PPC comes of age and adopts the industry standard expansion slot.

From the Beige G3 to the quad-core G5, via various iMacs!

All that power in a laptop? Never…

1. Apple I, ][, /// & Lisa

Not really 68k Macs, but certainly Vintage!

The best PDA ever finally gets its own forum!

Includes system stuff, productivity, emulation, design, and games for pre-OS X Macs!

Yes, it's back! Hardware hacks/modifications and software development for Mac OS.

Anything you can hook up to your Mac or stuff into it as an interface!

• Thanks @PotatoFi, I had been using the rock back and forth very gently till the legs break, worked well but had a stubborn through hole I needed the heating power of the air gun, so that's why I have it   There's a few of us around MN @ScutBoy - I'm south of St. Cloud in the middle of no where.
    • @erichelgeson - Nice work on the CC. I'm a fellow Minnesotan (Northfield) who just got done doing two CC motherboards myself    
    • Forgot two things to mention: That looks absolutely great, Thanks ,Trash80toHP_Mini, for the Scaler Pics!   And I did like JT737 did and bought 2 Micron VRAM chips on ebay.de for 6€ (+1,10€ delivery!) and now I enjoy luxurious 4 bit gray scale, an update that Radius charged 150$ for back in those days. For future reference, the name of the chips is Micron MT42C4256Z-7 256Kx4 70ns PZIP-28
    • Careful not to get too far into feature creep. I think the motivator behind FPGAing some of the logic functions is because the original chips are NLA, which would allow people with battery-damaged boards to return their machine to life even with the loss of those original chips. My current take so far has been assuming original logic placed onto a new board. In this route the only real improvement available would be to add 72-pin SIMMs or possibly EDO SODIMMs (those could be had in 64MB quantities, so you'd only need two slots for 128MB). I don't know enough about the memory subsystem used here to say whether it would support high-density EDO chips or not. Previously these used 8 16-bit banks of basic or possibly FPM DRAM for its maximum of 128MB; I don't think EDO was introduced until the 72-pin SIMMs. Maybe with the higher-density memory it can use more than 128MB? I don't know what the hard limit is here. Not that I'd probably have a use for more than that in an SE/30. That being said it's probably less expensive to fix an SE/30 board by moving its components to a new board with four 32MB 72-pin SIMMs than it would be to get a replacement original board and find 128MB worth of 30-pin SIMMs.
    • Guys, it must be possible to convince the Pivot SE/30 Card, that it is connected to a landscape radius pivot monitor at boot time, i.e. displaying something like 864x640 on VGA. I found these two thread with a Radius Pivot IIsi card, indicating, that connecting pins 4 and 10 on the pivot side might do the trick. @Bolle, what do you think, might this work with our SE 30 cards?