Sign in to follow this  
nahuelmarisi

Mac plus and ethernet

Hi,

I've got a Dayna EN/SC network adapter on my mac plus, and I have instaled the drivers on System 6.0.8. When it comes to appleshare over ethernet everything works fine. However I'm trying to make it ping my macbook to see if I can use some Internet software on the mac plus while only running system 6.

I've installed mactcp and configured its settings, but my macbook still can't see my mac plus. Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you have a tcp/ip application open on the Mac Plus?

I have a feeling MacTCP doesn't actually load the IP protocol stack until an application requests it.

I have a feeling MacTCP doesn't actually load the IP protocol stack until an application requests it.

I think that is correct. Certainly I myself was a little stumped by this until I started NCSA Telnet which activated Mac TCP.

You were right! thanks for the help!

However there are a few more problems:

Initially, running ncsa telnet didn't work because I was using addresses of the like of 10.0.0.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. When I changed it to 192.168.0.x it worked (also the numbers of bits and bytes and that stuff on macTCP changed as well).

The 'problem' I have now is that I get one good ping and one slow ping for no apparent reason:

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=40 ttl=60 time=9.640 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=41 ttl=60 time=205.223 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=42 ttl=60 time=19.125 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=43 ttl=60 time=218.342 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=44 ttl=60 time=12.926 ms

Any info about tweaking the connection?

Oh, and what can be done with System 6.0.x regarding the internet and networking? I successfully used fetch for ftp, but are there any ssh clients or telnet servers for mac os x?

Thanks for all the help!