ants

Adding Wi-Fi to my Mac SE/30

I will try to install the Vonets in my SE/30 now. As far as I understand the Vonets is able to connect to modern highspeed WIFI routers via wireless, but I have understood that the old Asante Ethernet card in the E/30 is not able to connect to the modern fast WIFI routers via cable, but requires an older slower router too work - correct me if I am wrong.

Since I only have my modern WIFI modem and I have installed the Asante WIFI card in the SE/30 (but not tested/connected it to a router via cable yet); what would be my best option to make this whole work: 1. install the Vonets and test the whole system "in one go" OR 2. first buy an older slow-speed modem, try to get the SE/30 to see my router via cable and then finally install and test the Vonets with my high-speed WIFI router?

Thanks.

@razo what you said is correct. I wouldn't mess around trying to source an old router since you already have a Vonets card - just make sure you select 10mb/half duplex in the Vonets setup (although it could be full duplex on your Asante card)

@ants Just a small report from me so far:-): I got it working as a WIFI bridge on my OSX iMac. It is really very simple: I used an antistatic wristband to be sure, just mount one of the the antennas to the board and plug in the wires, then plug Ethernet and usb cables from the VM300 into the computer. Type 192.168.254.254 in the webbrowser addressfield, then log in with user: admin and pwd: admin. Choose your WIFI network from the Hotspots pane, then "next", type password. Here I unchecked the "Hotspot" option, click Apply. Now, do not - important: do not - press the "reboot"  button on this page (as you are asked to do), there must be a bug here because if you do the VM300 will freeze and you must do a Factory reset to obtain contact again. Instead click on System Settings pane on the left and reboot/reset from this page (at least this is what solved it for me). You can see if the VM300 reboots by it lightning green for a moment. If VM300 freezes use this to restore: http://www.vonets.com/serviceView.asp?D_ID=213

It seems that the VM300 bought recently had the latest firmware and the pane "LAN Setting-Ethernet port" had the pull down menu list with half duplex option. I will try getting my SE/30 on the network tonight. (Written via VM300 WIFI bridge :-)).

Edited by razo