agent_js03

Should I get this 5260?

There is someone in my city who is offering a working Power Macintosh 5260 on craigslist for 25 dollars with keyboard, mouse and original software.

I know this is one of the road apples, as they call them, but I wanted to mention that I have a 6500 motherboard that I had bought for my 6300CD, and if it will fit in there then I might be wanting to get it. So my first question is, will the motherboard fit and work, and my second question is, with the newer motherboard, will I be able to get a screen resolution above 640x480? If not, then I don't want this computer. But I do like the all-in-one form factor so I am tempted.

The thing with the Road Apple designation is that it was more relevant in 1998 than in 2017. You're not looking for a good used computer to use on the internet and for production today, so do some performance quirks really matter all that much? 

Wow!  $25.00?  I think the price is right..  Looking at low end Mac, it says you can put up to 64MBs of RAM in it.  It has a IDE hard drive so you could swap that out for a solid state IDE hard drive for $39.00:

https://www.amazon.com/KingSpec-2-5-inch-Solid-SM2236-Controller/dp/B008RVN97A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497214453&sr=8-3&keywords=IDE+SSD

But it looks like it will only do 640 X 480.  It is suppose to take OS 7.5.3 to 9.1.  I wonder if you could install 9.2.2 on it??

mraroid

How could you pass that up? The mouse and KBD alone are probably worth the asking price. I used one as my VHS movie server until my 20" Radius TPD got fuzzy enough at high resolution that I needed a replacement. Fun "little" machine, I've still got some of the plastics in a storage box.

6500 board swapped in there should run just fine. I used to keep a 15" NEC MultiSync around with thoughts of hacking its Trinitron level quality and high resolution into the 5260. But I never got around to doing anything but size up the parts. 6500 board/G3 and hooking it up to a KVM to use it as a monitor for playing with other Macs was to be the point of that one.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

The 6500 board will fit but the back plate and double PCI riser card will not fit as its too tall.

One of these macs I would kindly avoid really, unless its a Black Macintosh 5500 series.

Cheers

AP