Trash80toHP_Mini

Project30 - IIsi NuBus adapter in SE/30 trials - take 3

It was for the board only. I forgot to save the listing unfortunately, but maybe if someone has one of those ebay price scraper sites they could look for it - it was sold by 'electronicspart' (https://www.ebay.com/usr/electronicspart) in Nov 2013, and purchased by p****m, someone who I'd seen bid a lot at that time in vintage computing.

Info on the expanse box was listed here before at this URL: http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14915  but that's no longer accessible :(

Edited by nickpunt

All these disappeared threads are driving me up the wall! If they're only delayed, that'd be great. If they're gone, we can rebuild the info in new threads. At least the piccies are back! [:)]

Can we dumpsterdive the wayback machine for the missing thread pages? Dunno how that works.

Unfortunately the dynamic nature of the page URLs (e.g. the ? after /viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14915) mean that wayback machine isn't archiving them. I'm also kind of frustrated by the thread situation, given that so much of this work is archival in nature and I spent a lot of time collecting notes that link out to old topics. I know mla is run by volunteers so I don't want to complain and super appreciate all the work they do. Meanwhile just hoping threads can be restored in some fashion. 

One way around this would be to move to a more modern forum stack (Discourse) that is better supported and that can be hosted someplace that is pretty resilient (e.g. you can one-click add a DigitalOcean droplet with Discourse, and get frequent backups and other things built-in). Discourse uses fixed URLs like /t/topic-name/26329 which I believe are better for wayback machine archiving. Moving entirely different forum software is a tough migration tho, and would change the UI on people which not everyone may love.

Another way around this is to move some content to a database like Airtable or a wiki so that fixed knowledge can be put someplace (like an archive of cards and their images), which would link back to threads where those were first mentioned. But all this is getting pretty off topic :)

Yep, time to get this page up to snuff for continuity's sake.

ExpanseSE/30 NuBus expansion box interface card:

image37.jpg

PCI Interface Card for comparison:

Xpanse_N400_PCI-Interface-1.thumb.jpg.aff9e3b4f9972651820399050c14670c.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the SE/30 expansion box weren't compatible with this interface and vice versa. 

Expanse N400 Motherboard paired with PCI Card above:

Xpanse_N400_Motherboard-1.thumb.jpg.dd33a0ab3243382e47cd3cd5dde29b6d.jpg

Xpanse_N400_Motherboard-s.thumb.jpg.3e815415da63b0548cd2b0bbfbc5db82.jpg

Well, that's about it for now, comments?

Another breadcrumb on the path to NuBus in SE/30 appears:

NuBus-SuperSlot-Expansion-Chassis.JPG.e18aef4048b33bab9c7aadb53b03e978.JPG

Hopefully this is how the ExpanSE/30 chassis works and offers a possible detour around the problems we're facing.

from: How the Macintosh II Nubus Works -  Second 1988 Mac Special Edition • B Y T E

NuBus research materials compilation at present:

Anybody got a lead on Inside Macintosh Volume V that's listed as indispensable in the CERN paper?

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Found a tidbit relating to researching the pre-NuChip, discrete component NuBus setup of Macintosh II.1 as well. Might need the ROM upgrade for logic analysis on the board or for comparative testing?

Rev.B-MacII-ROM-upgrade.JPG.6aecd19d21cf93c3cededf8308c2d993.JPG

One last goodie, The Master/Slave bugaboo of the SE/30 might be addressed using YARC's 74ALS651 approach to decoding?

74ALS651-decoding.JPG.22e4c3574eb30c01d07e7d75664fe475.JPG

edit: NTC = NuBus Test Card example in the Designing Cards and Drivers series.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini