flashedbios2012

Macintosh SE/30 upgrades

Aside from maxing out the ram to 128, upgrading the HDD, what else can be done to upgrade this thing? A grayscale card would be nice but i know they are like finding hens teeth. I was wondering about a CPU upgrade. Can an 040 be put in one of these things?

ROM-inator II from BMOW is pretty stinking awesome. It does the whole 32-bit fix and has some software built in to do various troubleshooting. The ability to write custom ROM code if you have inclination to dig into the editor. Pretty affordable too, if you ask me. The guy who makes them is a member here.

http://www.bigmessowires.com/mac-rom-inator-ii/

Edited by carguyty

what benefits would i get by replacing the rom simm

The simple answer is 32-bit clean code, which would allow you to install anything over 10 Mb of RAM. The long answer is that you wouldn't need to muck around with extensions and unnecessary RAM tests at startup that can increase boot time by minutes.

In the world of emulation, hardware is always faster than software. The closer you get to bare metal running assembly, the fewer layers of arbitration you will have to decode. In the case of the ROM-inator (or a IIsi ROM for that matter), you will be running the toolbox in a native condition. Mode-32 was a way of adding a run-time extension onto the bootstrapping of the OS. This causes more lag during startup, as well as incidental clock cycles every time an application seeks out more addresses beyond the anticipated 24-bit address that is built into the original ROM. That is mitigated when changing the ROMs to have 32-bit clean code the way the other machines are. 

If you are looking to upgrade to max RAM (or anything over 10 Mb) consider saving the Macintosh II ROMs for the people who need them and buy the ROM-inator ($40) to gain all the support you want, and then some. It's like a secret enclave with a ton of super powers.  :ph34r:

Correct with what the other two said. SE/30 uses Rom-inator II, which is plug and play. The ROM-instator you saw (first gen) was for the Mac 128k, 512k, and Plus (as well as their sub-versions). It won't work with the SE/30 regardless of how much soldering you do :p

You can spend a lot of money if you want to. Off the top of my head:

easier upgrades: scsi2sd or ide-scsi adapter, rominator, 128mb, floppyemu, ethernet (scsi-ethernet,localtalk-ethernet or internal card)

harder upgrades: recap the logic board, multi-card upgrades (req. iisi adapter/twinspark) e.g. daystar powercache 030 + ethernet or micron xceed + greyscale + ethernet. These probably require upgraded power supply (artmix sells one for $$$) or recapped power supply and/or recapped analog board.

Peripheral upgrades: apple branded external cdrom like 300e/600e, appledesign speakers, sc20c (apple branded). ADB/PS2 adapter so you can use an optical mouse - or a kensington trackball (original ball mouse is pretty much unusable).

Edited by kreats