BadGoldEagle

Reviving a 512K Hyperdrive - Error Code 0F0100

The heads have crashed spectacularly in a way that they're completely stuck (according to them at least), so it can't LLF itself because of that.

The Hyperdrive software (thanks OlePigeon and tanaquil for uploading it) will do a LLF of the drive. 

If the software detects a problem with the drive, it will ask you what you want to do with it. 

post-2677-0-16887100-1481130375_thumb.jpg

IBut I'm stubborn and I want to have things completely original. 

And thats where I get off the train here. That stubbornness will cost ya, trust me. Functionality over originality. Cant have your cake and eat it too.. haha. You may get lucky and find a good MFM drive for an ok cost, but as time goes by the worse that will get as those drives are constantly disappearing and being recycled. 

Need to have a solid state storage system that makes artificial old school hard drive noises when drive activity occurs.  I'm sure someone could make that work without too much hassle?

I think most of the "desirable" noise is the head moving around rather than the whine of the drive. I've always wanted to start a project that moves the head around much like those floppy and hdd music machines, but using the hdd led indicator output from the solid state drive as input to the noise device.

I've thought a while back maybe it is possible to hook a piezo speaker to the activity light with one of those little cheap pre-recorded message modules like they have in greeting cards.. 

Too bad I got to the listing 20 minutes late. Item's been sold  :(  :(  :(  :(

Well, I couldn't be sure 100% the drive was working anyway... 

This damn MMI M112 is near impossible to find. The MiniScribe 8425 (Hyperdrive 20) on the other end, is all over the place on ebay. 

Edited by BadGoldEagle

I've always wanted to start a project that moves the head around much like those floppy and hdd music machines, but using the hdd led indicator output from the solid state drive as input to the noise device.

I've thought a while back maybe it is possible to hook a piezo speaker to the activity light with one of those little cheap pre-recorded message modules like they have in greeting cards.. 

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

This damn MMI M112 is near impossible to find. The MiniScribe 8425 (Hyperdrive 20) on the other end, is all over the place on ebay. 

Thats because MiniScribe got in with alot of the OEMs and sold the crap out of those drives. Problem is, they are far far from reliable. Just about every one I have is dead. I was able to revive one though. the Stepper was stuck. 

Got a question here for you techknight

I'm no hard drive expert, but some drives apparently have something called a "head track motor" of some sorts. It's supposed to move the arm around, right? 

HDStepper.jpg

I'll open my dead MMI up to see what's inside. It's already been opened before, and since it's supposedly dead, I'm not risking anything.

So perhaps that motor's just dead or needs a slight tweak? Maybe I can mend this or find another one to fix my drive? Who knows? It really depends on how the disks and the heads look. 

As long as it doesn't look like this...

0309-primary-hdd-crash-100569123-large.j

Yea, thats the actuator arm stepper motor. 

The last picture is a BAD sign. haha, thats a head crash. 

Those old hard drives sometimes the head actually rides on the platter. 

It's been a long time but I'm still trying to get it to work properly.

So I went on and bought another drive which apparently is defective too... I'm a dumb@$$, I know and I should have listened.

I'm going to buy the DREM emulator (even though it's the cheapest MFM emulator out there, it costs $250). If it doesn't work, I can get my money back so it's worth a try. 

I'm still a little worried about that capacitor though... We know it's 0.1uF, 5V and that you can't get a new one of those anywhere. 

I want to replace it just to be sure... Should I go for a higher/lower capacitance or for a higher/lower voltage? I can't seem to find any of the "through hole axial" type, only SMD... So I dunno how this is going to work.

You can always make your own leads for the component, by soldering on a small un-insulated solid wire to pads on the capacitor.

More than two years have passed... But here's a small update. 

I recapped the 512k and the Hyperdrive PSU (albeit a few months ago) because both had gone bad. I was able to test the second hard drive (again) before the Mac died (again). This time, I'm suspecting one of the diodes on the analog board. But this has to do with the video circuitry, not the logic board. Both power supplies output the correct voltages. 

Anyway, with the second hard drive, before the video started collapsing, I was getting the same error code. The capacitor still had not been replaced so I think it's definitely the culprit. Or ROMs... or the Hyperdrive board altogether...

To be continued.