Sign in to follow this  
winterlight

ibook G4 HDD surgery

Hi guys,

I'm new to macs in general so please takee it easy on me... :b&w:

I just recently got an iBook G4 and want to replace the HDD with an SSD.

Two issues that people have mentioned but seem to have no hard information about:

1 - The pin set-up of the original HDD.  Some people have told me it's not a normal sized IDE.  It's smaller.  I can't really tell from the pictures on the internet so I'm hoping someone has done this before and can tell me definitively

2- Sata 3 to PATA.  The SSD I want to use is a normal 2.5" SATA 3 HDD.  Once again, "people online" have said that SATA3 won't work with the PATA interface not matter what adapter I use.  I have no idea about this.

So has anyone tried using a plain old SSD in an iBook G4?  (It's the A1134 (14") model btw)

Given the above I see that there are such things as PATA SSDs on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec-2-5-inch-SM2236-Controller/dp/B0091T4ZWU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475294391&sr=8-5&keywords=ide+ssd

Maybe that's easier? Anyone think that will work?

Thanks for your patience guys.

Ebay would be a better source than Amazon, unless you like getting your wallet raped. I find Amazon too expensive on small things, which is why I say that.

I have several G3/G4 iBooks & PowerBooks with SSDs. The connector is a STANDARD 2.5 inch Drive connector - NOT A 3.5 inch. There is no way you are getting a 3.5 inch drive inside a iBook!

Here you have several options for an SSD in the iBook. But note that the iBook as either an ATA-66 or ATA-100 interface, using a SATA Drive in my mind would be a waste, especially a SATA-3.

Option 1 - A PATA SSD. On ebay there are several sellers that have them with various name brands. For me the best deal I found was the KingSpec PATA II SSD, which you can get up I believe 128GB.  The PATA II Series is the faster of the series KingSpec has.  There are other namebrands like Western Digital (SD), Transend Media, Lexar, SanDisk and others. Be sure to read up on the read/write speeds and how many write cycles it can handle.

The 2.5in unit fit into the iBook case with no problems. There is a 1.8in drive case SSD, which is as wide as the 2.5 but a lot shorter in length. These too will fit and work inside the iBook's case but you would need to secure with some double sided foam tape as the screw holes will not line up. Yeah, I did that on a couple of iBooks with no problems!

Option 2 - I never tired it but there are SATA to PATA adapters out there that would fit. Issue is, how things line up inside the iBook. AND NOTE THAT I AM SPECULATING ON THIS - you would have problems in fitting a 2.5 SATA Drive inside with the adapter as space in there is so tight so it would be better to use a 1.8in drive. But in using a SATA Drive, you would need to use a SATA-1 drive for best results, if it works.I have heard of issues with SATA-3 SSDs on older systems. Again, I never tried this. Other users may have, I do not know.

Option 3 - I had fun with this one: Compact Flash with an IDE adapter. This works on ever IDE based PowerBook I put it in, from the 190 to the G4! Thing is you need to get a 400X or better Compact Flash for the best results. 200X is marginal in its speed, just a bit faster than a hard drive, but 400X, you get to see this iBook fly!

See what was done with a PB1400 here:

(Detailed notes) https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/23406-booting-from-a-compact-flash-drive/&do=findComment&comment=243936

(PB 1400 Booting!) https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/23406-booting-from-a-compact-flash-drive/page-2&do=findComment&comment=244873

Option 3b - I have not tried this yet but will, similar to the Compact Flash, but instead using a SD Card instead. One way is to use a SD to CF adapter and put it into the CF to IDE adapter. Another is using an SD to IDE adapter. I have the first - the SD to CF adapter, as soon as I can find a spare CF Card, I'm doing this!

There are some problems with this, as in some CF & SD cards register "Removable Media" and not as an actual a hard drive. I find formatting the cards in an older system on an older OS like OS8.0, helps in this matter.

Option 3c - Only works on Powerbooks with a PCMCIA Slot, which the iBook does not have but most PowerBooks do: using a CF to PCMCIA Adapter and format and boot the CF from there. This I have done and have a few "back up drives" with this in case my hard drives fail. This should work with the SD in the CF adapter.... Note "SHOULD"

You should use a minimum of 16GB sized SSD as that is what OSX will need as a minimum use. 64GB would be best as most iBook HDs were around 40 - 80 GB. If you can get a 128GB SSD - that would be perfect.

EDIT: On Ebay, the adapters for the CF and SD to IDE is just a couple of dollars a piece. And only get those units that handles 1 single CF card - the Dual CF Card Units do not work on Macs for some reason. They work great on PC, but I can never figure out why it does not work on Macs. You put in, turn on the system and you get a black screen and nothing happens. I can't figure out why.

Get the CF-IDE adapters with no electronics on it, like the one shown in the 1400 link above. The SD adapters does need some electronics for the signal conversions but not the CF.

Also, set the drives (and adapters) to the MASTER setting, not Cable Select. The drive will look like the is it set for Cable select but the jumper is set to master inside the cable.

Edited by Elfen

Don't bother with Compact Flash or dedicated PATA SSD's. OS X caches too much for the former to be durable, and the latter is too expensive for what you get. Get a 2.5" PATA to mSATA board and an mSATA SSD. Cheap, reliable, easy. You can also reuse that mSATA drive in a lot of other things if you decide to retire your iBook. 

I've done the above mod on that exact iBook. The iBook has a little pin receiver that goes onto the hard drive (or in your case, the adapter), then slides into slots. Your adapter may have a hole that hasn't been drilled out, don't worry about it and just push the pin through the plastic if your adapter has one extra. You will want to secure the adapter inside as you'll have some extra space (perhaps some tape on the bottom). 

Edited by TheWhiteFalcon

Thanks guys, those are awesome responses :) :) :)

There's an update to this, I took apart the iBook G4 and it was an almost total disaster...

I'm posting a different thread about it, you guys might get a chuckle  :b&w: