Sign in to follow this  
Johnnya101

Installing Xlr8 450 MHz G3 ZIF

I picked up an Xlr8 450 MHz G3 ZIF + carrier for my AIO the other day. The seller did not have instructions or the software CD. I am new to old computers.

Does anyone know what I should do to install it? I think I found the control panel software download online, but down know if it works yet. If someone has basic steps too, that would be great. No need for a huge manual. 

Thanks!

Just curious, are you trying to put a ZIF Carrier into a G3? The ZIF Carrier cards are made for 9600s and such.

Whether or not you can pull the ZIF CPU off the carrier and shove it into a G3 AIO, I don't know. You'd need to find a way to adjust FSB and multiplier of the G3 motherboard. 

The CPUis aZIF, and goes on the card. I would just be putting in the card. I think Im going to skip it for know, but if anyone knows for sure... Id love to hear!

You'll need to check the ZIF CPU runs at the same voltage as your existing G3 AIO CPU before even considering pulling it out and replacing it with this one.  Also read up on adjusting the bus speed and multiplier of your G3 AIO, I'd tread carefully and research sites like XLR8yourmac (archives) before taking the plunge.

If all good, it shouldn't need software to run but fine tuning things like the backside cache speed, can be done with the XLR8 Machspeed software and/or Powerlogix CPU Director software.

JB

Edited by Byrd