Sign in to follow this  
Carboy7

What Powerbook should I get?

I have 90$. My objective: 

To buy a new powerbook.

I'm thinking of getting a 5300, but any pb will do. Anyone got an idea? Remember. 90$.

:pb: 

The 5300, really i love it, but keep in mind that most of them have casing problems, or PSU connector ones...or both.

The second option will be a 1400, reliable and far better. 

Then you have the G3 line.

Depends on what you want to do with it, but personally, for $90 a later one (G3 or G4) would be a better choice, the 5300 is very limited in what it can do.

I am selling off a few of my Pismo G3s and my Lombards...let me know if you have an interest/see my note in Trading Post. Decent batteries are getting harder to come by, but they can be rebuilt of course.

I personally think the Pismos were a true high point for Apple...easy to work on, parts are still out there, they are durable as hell, typing on one is a joy (as I'm doing now) and TenFourFox still makes them very viable daily web use machines with the right ad blocks and script limiters in place.

Talk to J English Smith, he can set you up right! I got a few machines from him. Great guy!

The 5300 is a great little machine but it is rather limited, unfortunately. Love it, as I own 2 and one of them used to be my daily driver in the 1990s. and it has that rotting plastic issue. Damn.

The 1400 would be better, and then a G3 Wallstreet/Lombard/Prismo.

The 2300 is the same as the 5300 but with less options. Oh well... It is a nice machine, I have one with my 5300. But in this route, the 1400 would be the better option.

The 1400 is usually very easy to live with for a relatively low price, if you specifically desire gray/six-color logo PowerBooks like I do. If you don't care, you could always go for a G3 or higher I guess.

Although... shameless 2400 plug. You can often get them for about $90 if you're patient.