Guybrush3pwood

Macintosh Plus...should I buy?

Comes with Monitor - Monitor Tray - Keyboard and Mouse. Seller is asking $50. What do you think? Should I go for it?

Oh, and he says it worked the last time he plugged it in, but doesn't have a power cord for it anymore. That certainly throws up red flags. Don't these use standard power cords?

Edited by Guybrush3pwood

I would totally buy a Plus for $50 if the shipping weren't too high. The power plug is standard, but if he doesn't have a lot of other macs around, maybe it makes sense that he wouldn't have a compatible cord?

... What is a Monitor Tray?

Mac Plus has no Internal Hard Drive, but you can connect it to an external HD. You can also boot from the floppy drive but the Mac plus disk drives are 800K only. It can boot from System 3.2 to System 7.5

It looks good for $50. If it were near me, I'd pick it up. The keyboard and mouse is worth that much!

Sounds/looks like a decent machine for the price - I got one free (it had cracked plastic, but the internals were nice) and one for $20 (I think?) with the box, but no mouse and keyboard.  I like them - they aren't as quirky as a 512/128, or as valued, so you get the original Mac experience without a lot of the issues that can eat away at the fun.

That photo is way too dark to tell but .... is that an external monitor?  Cause between that and the wording

Comes with Monitor - Monitor Tray

If that's a Plus with an internal upgrade for a second monitor, with the (usually specific and non-standard) matching monitor, booting, for $50 ...

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

Even so, $50 for a Plus that boots to a system disk prompt is totally fair these days.  Especially with a mouse & keyboard.  Heck I'd call it a bit of a bargain even.

Snagged it. Needs some retrobright, but that's no problem. Other than that it seems to work fine. Making a boot disk now to find out for sure.

734686_1138916559492384_8418620561446386

Took the cover off, this fell out. Anyone know what it is or where it goes?

1528459_1138980639485976_141020607072205

It goes towards the back of the case on the left side just below the fan grill.  I have no idea what it's for, but it goes there.

Edited by olePigeon

I have no idea what it's for

Its to ground the RF paint on the case to the main analog ground. When the back is put on, that piece bits the analog board.

Holy crap... I think you also solved a major problem I was having.  Sometimes when I put the shell back on, I can't get the face plate to fit snugly on the top left corner.  I always suspected it was bezel hitting the analog board, and now I'm thinking it's that gounding piece not being in correctly.  If the analog board is up against it, and it pushes it too far forward, that would prevent the left side of the bezel from being flush.

Yup. And this part is OFTEN damaged when people put the back bucket back on at a slight angle. Later versions were changed to prevent so much damage. In fact, some replacement boards came with a new clip! I have a NOS Plus board and in the box is a new clip in a small clear plastic case.