Wiki: questions \ requests \ How-To

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HoneyDoe

HoneyDoe
  • LocationCanada, Southern quebec near Malone NY,

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

I think we need this....

This is one of the first wiki's I've actually want to improve. History sake being most important.

I would like to know a few things.

Q:How do you make a new page? 
Q:Where would I put files to download \ upload, Do we even have one?

I'm going to eventually do

How to screen capture on old systems, 
MacOS8.1 Network Recovery Zip 100 disk
How to properly compress files......I've had lots of complication with Macintosh garden because most people are using emulators now...... and they make the files different

The great Dopez loves to share with everyone

#2 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

wthww and myself (and ideally Bunsen, my to-do list is getting longer every day) are sysops ("administrators") on the wiki, along with ChristTrekker.

We currently don't have a formalized process for requesting and making accounts, but I think the process there is that you'd send a PM to us and we'd get around to it. All of our to-do lists are huge.

In terms of making a page, it's a standard install of MediaWiki, so you can either navigate to a page that doesn't exist and start typing, or create a link somewhere, using the syntax "[[link to a new page that doesn't exist yet]]" and then click it, start typing.

There is a file upload mechanism built into the wiki, and you can upload files up to a certain size therein. Disk quotas are obviously separate from the forum, but that's no reason not to use good sense when uploading images. Ideally, you'll make pictures a good screen size and compress them a bit before uploading.

You shouldn't at all need to compress software, because uploading software to the site is out of hand disallowed at the moment. If you upload software or disk images with software to the forum or the wiki, it'll be removed and your account will have a warning added.

It's also worth noting that in the interest of staying as clear of that particular "gray area" (aka totally illegal but not often enforced) topic of abandonware, we also discourage links to other web sites, particularly Macintosh Garden. In essence, it's just like a lot of other computing communities where we're not going to help you pirate software, but if you've done it on your own, then there's nothing we can do to stop you.

As such, please don't post things like a disk image of Mac OS 8.1. Instructions on how to make bootable media and use networks are, of course, fine.

Also, right now we're making steps on our next project, which is separating the hosting environments for the 68kmla.org forum software, and the 68kMLA wiki. As such, I'd hold off on actually putting new content on the wiki for now. We also have the "pages" functionality of Invision, and we're looking at whether or not and when to deploy that functionality.

In the mean time, you can look at information on editing MediaWiki pages, here: http://en.wikipedia....i/Help:Contents and write content in text files on your own computer.

#3 Elfen

Elfen
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Old freeware/shareware and public domain stuff allowable? And what about Trail software?

I need to scrounge about my collection but somewhere I have a Fat (68K/PPC) Code Stripper from the Mac Hack group of the 1990s. It allows one to check out their software and strip out what code, 68K or PPC, they would want to remove to shrink their software in size. I used it a lot in my systems, in one case taking Adobe Photoshop 4.0 and strip the PPC Code when it's on a 68K machine and strip the 68K code when its on a PPC machine, shrinking the program by 50%! I just have to be aware that now I have two very different versions of the same software because of the PPC Stripper program.

Edited by Elfen, 11 July 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Amassed a collection of various Macs and PCs that friends are calling my place a Mac museum: 512Ke, Plus, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, Q950, Q800, Q8100, 7100, Biege G3, PB 5300ce,190, 190c, 150, 180, (4) Duo 210, Duo 230, (2) 250, 280, 280c, 2300c, (3) G3 Wallstreet, iBook G3 (Orange), (3) iBook G3 (White), (3) iBook G4, PB G4 (all 12in)

#4 Cory5412

Cory5412

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Links to certain freeware/shareware/public-domain stuff (preferably directly on the vendor's web site) are typically not removed.

Part of the problem is that we haven't set up a place to host software because there's so few things we can. We also outright disallow (and often, we'll edit and remove) links to, say, macintoshgarden, even if a particular link is good, the whole site is based on the theory that "abandonware" is a legal concept that exists, which, it isn't.

If somebody wants to start work on this issue, they'd need deep pockets and the blessing of some organization dedicated to "archival" work -- archive.org is probably the right people to start this particular work.

For original programs, we tend to recommend that authors get their own web site and post it there. It simply never occurred to us to have such a service here. If there were a lot of people writing original programs with no interest in hosting their own web site, or who specifically wanted wthww and I to host it, we'd move that kind of thing onto our to-do list.

#5 Elfen

Elfen
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

I'm revamping the Vintage Mac SIG's website, which has a lot of system 6 software and some other programs (like Mode32 and PPC Stripper). I figure in two weeks it will be done with all the information updated.

The old and incomplete site is at: http://members.tripo...ix/vintage.html

Mind you, the site is almost 20 years old...

Amassed a collection of various Macs and PCs that friends are calling my place a Mac museum: 512Ke, Plus, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, Q950, Q800, Q8100, 7100, Biege G3, PB 5300ce,190, 190c, 150, 180, (4) Duo 210, Duo 230, (2) 250, 280, 280c, 2300c, (3) G3 Wallstreet, iBook G3 (Orange), (3) iBook G3 (White), (3) iBook G4, PB G4 (all 12in)

#6 Cory5412

Cory5412

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

Yeah... 20 years ago was a different time and although it's an interesting time capsule, some of the information is factually incorrect, there are typos all over the place, the formatting is pretty wild, and there's a nonzero chance that the site tried to drive-by some unwanted software onto my machine.

Let us know when you've got it fixed up, it could be interesting.

#7 HoneyDoe

HoneyDoe
  • LocationCanada, Southern quebec near Malone NY,

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hey sorry I have been afk, I am moving to Montréal and I am getting 175mbps up and down, so I think I will be able to host something up, I have an ibm server waiting to be used. Linux of course.

and by all means I do not mean host directly on the sites connection, I know my bits from my bites

and with no redirections to broken links, Man that's annoying.
I'm going to install Ubuntu server and get started on the Server

Oh and I would very much like the ability to edit my own posts.

The great Dopez loves to share with everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users