All Forums
 Lounge
 My new lair
Author Topic  
Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  01:40:41
A am setting up a new plsce to hold all my macs, just a vacant room of my house, but I have no desks, chairs, or benches yet. Does anyone have a nicly set out "lair" whcih they have photos on, so i can gain some idea of how to set mine up?

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  02:05:10
in WA when I had my room with all my computers... I had a loft bed with a large 'work table' I usually could have 4-5 computers on it... kinda sagged in the middle though

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  05:18:13
Depending on your collection, different methods will be best. For instance, if you have a lot of desktops from PPC, to performas, you may want to build a "rack" of sorts out of 2x4s (well, i did atleast, we had a bunch lying around fromt he basement). My desk is about 3 feet high, and has room for 6 macs, 3 high and 2 wide.
Large, metal shelves also work good, mainly for stacking parts, smaller systems, and misc stuff in a small place. The key to saving space is going vertical!
Also, a lil OT, but cool none the less. Once you get it set up, go out and get some EL rope if you have the cash, or just some regular ropelights, and run them near all your keyboards. Makes for a nice, eficent way to light everything up .

Sounds like it will be really nice when done! Keep us posted!

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  06:12:40
Do you guys use KVM's on your macs? I have 4 macs Q950,Q840AV, PM7500, PM8500 and would love a cheap adb kvm solution to use with them.

I have a bunch of PC's and use a belkin soho kvm with them, makes life easy.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  06:49:20
quote:

Do you guys use KVM's on your macs? I have 4 macs Q950,Q840AV, PM7500, PM8500 and would love a cheap adb kvm solution to use with them.

I have a bunch of PC's and use a belkin soho kvm with them, makes life easy.

I've used the ($50+-) 3-way manual KVM Switchbox from MacWarehouse all day, every day for over three years with the Macs in my rolling workstation and I love it. I put a dual platform OmniKey (?) on the kid's PC/Mac setup that's been great for a couple of years too, but it was a little pricier, even on sale and with cabling included.

I worked out a pinout for using a standard DB-25 switchbox as an ADB KVM/Serial switchbox by hacking mac cables onto available Crap Shack solder cup connectors and shells, but I haven't tested it yet:

http://homepage.mac.com/jwt1863/.Pictures/HACKS/A-B-C-Dsm.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/jwt1863/.Public/A-B-C-D.pdf

more info: http://www.macintouch.com/switches.html

That should be the most economical way to do an ADB KVM solution AFAIK.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Apr 2003 07:02:09Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  07:03:19
Carpet is a very bad thing -- it swallows crucial screws and makes static. A big wooden workbench (an old door and two filing cabinets will do in a pinch) makes a great work surface for hacking. And don't forget some kind of antistatic mat and wrist strap setup. Da Penguin is right about large metal shelves -- those "some assembly required" shelving units are pretty good as long as one is careful about keeping heavy junk on the lower shelves.

I wish I had a KVM -- Hmmm... I wonder if a PC KVM could be hacked into a Mac KVM by replacing/rewiring the keyboard ports for ADB???

BTW, we had a big discussion of messy Mac rooms back in June 2002 (see
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1772.html ) Sadly, all but MacMoose's picture links are now dead.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  07:06:52
LOL! Good old jt answered my question about a hack PC KVM before I even got to ask it!Go to Top of Page
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  07:09:05
quote:

I wish I had a KVM -- Hmmm... I wonder if a PC KVM could be hacked into a Mac KVM by replacing/rewiring the keyboard ports for ADB???

I don't see why not as long as you have enough switched signals and the mouse port could be utilized for more lines if not. Crap Shack has the male S-Video connectors that you could use to turn a PC or PS-2 cable's connector into "ADB" if you want to try it.

A DB-25 data switchbox is a lot less expensive than a KVM tho!

jt .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Apr 2003 07:10:25Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  07:14:17
quote:

LOL! Good old jt answered my question about a hack PC KVM before I even got to ask it!

HAR! Lemme know what you think of the pinout proposal for that adaptation, the only thing I was thinking might need to be changed would be to tie the Serial port's ground line to the ADB port's line instead of tacking it onto the shell ground, but I thought ADB should be kept fully isolated, the serial implementation is an unnecessary luxury.

jt .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Apr 2003 07:16:39Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  07:18:43
quote:
Sadly, all but MacMoose's picture links are now dead

And it actually looks worse now!

"Man's best possession is a sympathetic wife."
-- Euripides (480?-406 BC), Greek dramatist

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  07:45:17
quote:
HAR! Lemme know what you think of the pinout proposal for that adaptation, the only thing I was thinking might need to be changed would be to tie the Serial port's ground line to the ADB port's line instead of tacking it onto the shell ground, but I thought ADB should be kept fully isolated, the serial implementation is an unnecessary luxury.
I agree about separate grounds for stuff.

My only questions about the design is whether any of the lines need some form of dummy load resistors if the KVM is used to hot-swap stuff. Might also need something on the sense-lines if any of the Macs are booted while being disconnected from the monitor. Finally, IIRC some older Mac stuff (Mac II in particular) could get very unhappy if run with no ADB devices attached at all. Otherwise, it is a very cool/cheap hack for the perennial problem of no space for monitors and keybds for every mac.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  08:08:29
quote:

My only questions about the design is whether any of the lines need some form of dummy load resistors if the KVM is used to hot-swap stuff.

My manual KVM supposedly is set up to look like a 21" monitor or some such, but it doesn't seem to mean anything more than normal sense line voodoo, no emulation setup apparent like on a better PC KVM.

quote:

Might also need something on the sense-lines if any of the Macs are booted while being disconnected from the monitor.

I've used DB-15 switchboxes successfully with my Portrait and with VGA, making sure the proper CPU is selected on the switch at bootup.

quote:

Finally, IIRC some older Mac stuff (Mac II in particular) could get very unhappy if run with no ADB devices attached at all.

I'd like to keep (in an ideal setup) one KBD/Mouse hooked up to each Mac for when problems crop up, using the switched peripherals in general use. Any funkiness due to switching OS levels can be fixed by running ADB Reset or eq. on the older Macs (the DuoDock under 7.5.3 loses track of how fast it's supposed to be mousing around sometimes the 6360 almost never has a problem under 9.0.? and the G4/Griffin adapter under 9.1 has never had a problem.)

quote:

Otherwise, it is a very cool/cheap hack for the perennial problem of no space for monitors and keybds for every mac.

I think it'll work, it's meant to let me run my plotter more easily from multiple PaleoMacs.

jt ™.
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  08:16:53
quote:
I think it'll work, it's meant to let me run my plotter more easily from multiple PaleoMacs.

Of course it will work! It sounds like you are always a step-ahead of me on all these issues.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  08:23:25
quote:

quote:

Of course it will work! It sounds like you are always a step-ahead of me on all these issues.

Since I'm a frustrated engineering wannabe with no formal training whatsoever, I need to settle for being an equally frustrated inventor! :rolleyes:

jt ™.

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  13:44:25
I got a free DB25 switch with all the Apple ][s me and my friend picked up, and would love to test this out! I don't really need it other than for the coolness, and somewhat space issues. All I gotta do is go out, get the cables, and start working. If I actually get this going, and am not so lazy as to leave it half finished on me floor, I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Oh yeah, and for storage, talk to trash about his custom rack

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  13:59:59
quote:

Oh yeah, and for storage, talk to trash about his custom rack

The VideoRack? It's a stock center support rack I got at the metal recycler for $15, I just made a couple of custom shelves out of galvanized steel to add to the two that came with it. There's now a DB-15 switchbox next to the 630/5260 hybrid to run the Radius Clone on the 20" monitor, but I haven't bent up the rest of the keyboard drawer for the AV box yet, it's STILL just sitting on top of the monitor. =8-/

jt .

p.s. What's really irritating is that the VideoVision Studio card in the 81/110 puts out a full, undoubled 640 pixel wide feed from the DVD player, but the docs specifically state that I CANNOT hook the IntelliColor Display/20 up to it without a special cable set. Letterboxed DVD looks a little crappy (pixellated) on the Video System of the 630 series, but VHS looks better (more crisp) on the 20" Radius monitor than on my 19" TV.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Apr 2003 14:09:49Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  17:45:32
Dont you need a telecast box for all the neat video in/out ports?

The one I have for the PCI videovision/Telecast lets you connect a monitor and a television to monitor whats going on

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  19:31:29
quote:

Dont you need a telecast box for all the neat video in/out ports?

The one I have for the PCI videovision/Telecast lets you connect a monitor and a television to monitor whats going on.

Not that I know of, the breakout box works fine for anything I'd need to do AFAIK. I should try using the VVS card with the PrecisionView 2150 that's now on the rolling workstation sometime. If a telecast box would let me use the IntelliColor Display/20 with the VVS NuBus card I might try to pick one up tho.

jt ™.

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  20:26:28
Ok, now that everyones talking about computer setups, i gotta dig my digi camera out of this hole i call a workspace and take a pic.... actually, no I won't... It needs to be cleaned too bad... And I want to be able to take a pic of my rack in the basment at the same time, but thats not completely set up yet....
ill get there.... lol

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  01:04:26
my current setup???

1 TiBook; 1 burnt lap, one logitech optical mouse.

I want to do a cart that has the 7300 or 6500 on it with an overhead projector and LCD panel on it. Also, I want possibly to have a wireless keyboard/mouse dealie and wireless networking

only onelong power cable is allowed to go across the floor...

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  06:15:44
Get Rid of the power cable! Get car batteries and inverters!

~The Penguin

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  06:41:26
quote:

Get Rid of the power cable! Get car batteries and inverters!

NAH! Drop an umbilical from the ceiling to the cart, my rolling workstation has a 20 AMP mains line, three phone lines and PhoneNet in a single custom 4 pair wire setup, two ethernet feeds from the onboard hub, serial and AV hookups all running thru a 1.5" ShopVac hose from the overhead utility/lighting track.

jt ™.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  20:39:52
.... the umbilical sounds like a good idea except that I want the cart to go outside too...

I'd probably keep a UPS on there (just to keep the 7300 and the LCD on... not a 700watt projector or anything)

I'd do an umbilical if I needed that much power and all that to go to a rolling workstation that was in my own room in WA or something...

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  12:11:42
quote:

NAH! Drop an umbilical from the ceiling to the cart, my rolling workstation has a 20 AMP mains line, three phone lines and PhoneNet in a single custom 4 pair wire setup, two ethernet feeds from the onboard hub, serial and AV hookups all running thru a 1.5" ShopVac hose from the overhead utility/lighting track.

CRIMINY!!!

You really do take the concept of your workshop over the top!!!

when are you going to get us a general shot of the entire workshop???

or multiple new shots, one from each corner??

and how big is that room anyway? It is impossible to tell from the photos.

I like the contents of that umbilical, do you have a PBX system in your apartment or summat?? THREE phone lines?

HAR™

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  20:18:50
quote:

quote:

CRIMINY!!!

You really do take the concept of your workshop over the top!!!

when are you going to get us a general shot of the entire workshop???

or multiple new shots, one from each corner??

and how big is that room anyway? It is impossible to tell from the photos.

I like the contents of that umbilical, do you have a PBX system in your apartment or summat?? THREE phone lines?

HAR

My sentiments exactly!

You have NO IDEA!

Never, it's a mess.

I'd need to shift too much crap around. :rolleyes:

Supposedly a little over 600 Square feet.

It's commercial space, they're business lines.

jt ™.

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  23:22:50
AAH, for some reason, I had the impression that your workshop was in your apartment. I beat you for phone lines though ;)

I have 100 running into my lair, which is my work office/serviceroom. I also have about 50 computers, a 19" rack that is 36 inches deep, a work bench, a swivelchair, a stainless storage rack, and a swivelchair in a room that is about twelve by eight feet.

top THAT!!!

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  06:37:17
Don't you work for the Los Angelas Unified School District? (sort of)

I would love to have a 'lair' and/or lab and etc etc

we have a 'spare' travel trailer that I'd love to outfit with a few of my macs but I still want the 7300 MediaCart (still haven't decided on possibly using the 6500 though) in the living room...

I'd love to have batteries and an inverter and a solar panel... but the overhead projectros take too much power

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  14:39:55
quote:

for piccies, see:

http://www.danamania.com/temp/desk

Nice photomosaic of a nice setup. And so so many feets too!

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  20:15:31
THAT is the best setup I've seen in awhile! I LOVE it!

THAT is the kind of setup that keeps PAF high!
you have 30-someodd computers but the ones that are setup are set up in such a way that they are so pretty and they have a nice "laberiffic" appearance

Is that an iSub behind yon's iMac..
Are you embarrased about your Apple audio equipment? or is it just cables...
.ME blasts the nonexistant soundsticks

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  20:27:01
Just wondering but where do you have your lair at? That seems like the same brick used in schools. You have alot of pizza boxes under there... wow

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  21:04:53
quote:

Just wondering but where do you have your lair at? That seems like the same brick used in schools. You have alot of pizza boxes under there... wow

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
or just 4

It's at home, most probably in her room, seeing as though i can see a bed in that piccie. And yes, I believe that that is the best setup i've seen so far, Dana.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2003 :  11:55:49
heh... I do like that setup....

BTW, do you have an iSub back there dana?

[breaks into song]
iSub hiding bhind my mac, please come out and sing to me
[/end song mode]

do you have a KVM switch over there with what looks like an 8100 and a 6x0(x)

Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

SuperMod

Canary Islands
66 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  16:26:59
Here's Cinemo's

--
It's a bird! It's a plane!
No, it's SuperMod?!!!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  18:23:51
quote:

Here's Cinemo's

--
It's a bird! It's a plane!
No, it's SuperMod?!!!

Looks like someone fergot to log out as supermod, mooks like ML5 but thats just a guess.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  18:50:02
He didnt forget to log out his account password is jacked up. cinimo is just using SuperMod for a while.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
or just 4Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  19:54:34
Yep. Its Cinemo. What made you think it was me?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  21:31:49
heh... that's a pretty cool Quadra cine's got..

BTW ML5: we thought it waS YOU because you usually post "much appreciated" messages about your drinkingnights... and it usually looks like that

Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  22:32:52
HAR!™

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:37:39
Yeah, that was me. All is right again, but I am meaning to take some new pics of the lair, as there are a few minor additions that should be documented. Stay tuned!

Oh and as for the Quadra...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Lord of the Mac II Series
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
http://www.cinemafia.netGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:39:42
And was that you who started the dancing thread as SuperMod?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:42:22
quote:

And was that you who started the dancing thread as SuperMod?

I have no idea what you are talking about...

But yeah, about the Quadra, take a look here (I posted this on the 'fritter, too)

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Lord of the Mac II Series
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
http://www.cinemafia.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 May 2003 05:42:58Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.