All Forums
 Lounge
 Toronto and GTA 68kmla people, some oppurtunities
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  14:14:14
Hello, I was just at the Goodwill on Jarvis by the St. Lawrence market and saw some interesting mac stuff. So head's up if you're looking for any of this.

Applevision Monitor
Apple Monochrome Two Page Monitor
Mac LC II (case damage)
Mac Quadra 610
Mac Plus
Mac Classic
Mac SE
Apple Laserwriter II
Apple Laserwriter IIntx
Apple Laserwriter select (biggest apple logo ever!)
Apple Laserwriter plus?
Apple Stylewriter 1200
Agfa SCSI scanner

and

about 8 Amiga motherboards circa 1992 with red, white and yellow analog ports.

By any chance does anyone have any older powerbooks for parts?. I messed my PB 140 video cable (topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=4488.html)

Cool?

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, PB 170 8/80, LC 475 20/160, LC 575 36/160, Quadra 650 32/260, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  14:46:47
The nt would be so cool! I need a network printer, but don't got much moola. Too bad it would prolly be a bizatch to ship.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  15:20:28
The Applevision Monitor you speak of sounds nice.

I've been looking for something since I moved and had to leave my MS 14 behind.

Is it the 1710 or the 750 or whatever? Is it the AV designation?

Thanks in advance.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  21:49:49
hmmness.... iWish there were liberation opportunities down here...

I saw a 6115 at this swap meet... not only was it non-AV, but it was expensive as HECk and dad was giving me the look of general dissaproval...
Missing some feets too

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  21:20:27
The stuff is still there, probably because they are a bit expensive for "as is." I think there was a 1710 monitor and 600e CD-ROM. Picked up Quark for the license and manuals, now I need disks 2 through whatever of version 3.32. There was also a copy of Civilization in the shrink wrap.

Was the Kaypro there when you went? Maybe I can fix it up and have my first CP/M machine.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  05:26:54
I guess you've been there before... What's this Kaypro you're talking about?. Is it that blue metal Lisa/MacXL knock off with the small screen and the two 5"1/2 floppies beside it?. That's still there if it is.

------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, PB 170 8/80, LC 475 20/160, LC 575 36/160, Quadra 650 32/260, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:32:57
I live in western MI, USA. It's not too terribly far to ship.

II2II:
Do you think you could help me out? I've been trying communicate with mac-man6 about the 1710, but he stopped responding to my e-Mails I'd really appreciate it. Especially since the 7600 has a 13" monitor hooked up to it now that only does 640x480.

ThanksGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:51:52
quote:

Do you think you could help me out?

I wish that I had a way to transport monitors home since they regularly obtain SuperMac monstrosities. But they do obtain that sort of thing regularly (this is the third time I have seen 16" and 17" Apple monitors) so catch me in a couple of months. Once the folks move to Ontario, I will be able to sucker them into hauling van loads of Macintosh junk. Well, at least until their barn is full.

II2II

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  16:00:52
OMG! The best we get at the Good Will here is a LC now and then. Even then, it's usually missing some parts, and the $10 keyboards!

I forgot to mention that I've been looking for an external CD-ROM for my LC III for some time now. Do you think you could hook me up with that 600i?

Thanks again!Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  19:52:32
I live near the Goodwill on Jarvis and was wondering how often they get macs in and where they are located in the store. I have dropped by once or twice and have only seen some old tvs.

Where else is good for getting old mac parts? Active has some cables and stuff and Above All has more, is there anywhere else people in Toronto find stuff?
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  22:12:48
hehehe... just look around... it's almost everywhere in those stores...

having been in one for several hours... I know from experience that if you just look and sift thru the stuff you see...

after awhile of you being there... the store is like perfectly organised... (that's what happens with me somehow)...

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  00:13:03
quote:

I live near the Goodwill on Jarvis and was wondering how often they get macs in and where they are located in the store.

They always seem to have something Mac in stock, though it is better on some days. The stuff isn't actually in the main store, but in the "Final Sale," which may be accessed from the parking lot to the north.

There is another place to pickup Macintosh stuff, but I will let people do the footwork for that. Needless to say, I have found a number of developer CDs and good software in the past and don't want the competition. But it does exist and you will know when you find them because they have a $35 Apple portrait display which I doubt they will ever sell.

To The Lightning Stalker: it is an external drive (the 600e) and they are asking $10 for it (as is). I am planning to go on Monday, so get back to me if you want it.

II2II

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  01:25:05
gee... I should start asking to go places like goodwills and other secondhand shops to see if there's mac stuff and/or good other junk I've been wanting/needing

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  08:20:43
Sorry Lightning Stalker, I had three core course exams for University all pretty much at 8 AM. Horrible exams about Print Processes, Premedia and Electronic Layout and Typography. I can now bore anyone to death because by telling theme how Ink is absorbed into Coated and uncoated paper.

I haven't gone back to the Goodwill yet because of exams. I would go today but they're not open, I would've gone yesterday but it was Good Friday. I do planning on going again, there's some pawnbrokers and Salvation Army nearby. But from what I can remember the monitor didn't have a model name on the front, just 'AppleVision'. I remember thinking it was a 1710 but I couldn't see anything saying it was. It was pretty heavy and on the ground, also I heard that 1710's had serious problems so I didnt bother checking. I was in search some funkier mac stuff like Powermacs, Powerbooks, MacTV's but no luck. Although the did have "Times" typeface on an Atari like cartridge for a Hewlett Packard printer.

Two Questions:
1) Would these Atari boards be worth picking up?. Would it be easy to hack one of these into case and make it usable?, like do they have a standard video, keyboard or mouse connectors?. Would they use scsi for storage?

2) What does IIRC mean? I've seen people use it in the forums.

------------------

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  10:31:04
quote:

I can now bore anyone to death because by telling theme how Ink is absorbed into Coated and uncoated paper.

Ryerson?

quote:

I was in search some funkier mac stuff like Powermacs, Powerbooks, MacTV's but no luck.

You missed a 7100 a couple of weeks back. It has been converted into a fine monitor stand for a Radius TPD.

quote:

1) Would these Atari boards be worth picking up?. Would it be easy to hack one of these into case and make it usable?, like do they have a standard video, keyboard or mouse connectors?. Would they use scsi for storage?

Well, they're Commodore parts so I doubt they are Ataris. The Amiga power supplies are hard to come by so you will have to build one yourself. The voltages are standard, so it should be easy to do. They may or may not be able to use standard PC floppy drives. IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) The power and data connections look the same but the eject mechanism was different. You should be able to adapt an Apple IIgs RGB monitor to an Amiga. It may even use composite. The keyboard and joystick are "non-standard" (whatever standard means in this case). Maybe you could use one from another Amiga in this case, maybe not. You can get SCSI adapters for Amigas but the 3000 was the only one which came with built-in SCSI. From the dimensions, I am guessing that this is one of the models which was integrated into the keyboard -- and it does not look like the (disfunctional) 500 or 1000 which I do own.

II2II

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  17:42:37
quote:
I remember thinking it was a 1710 but I couldn't see anything saying it was.

It usually says on the back.
quote:
it is an external drive (the 600e) and they are asking $10 for it (as is). I am planning to go on Monday, so get back to me if you want it.

Oh, yeah. I guess I said 600i. Anyhow I meant 600e. Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, but I was downstate over the weekend and had a cold and therefore didn't feel like going online.

$10 CA converts to about $6.50 US, so the price sounds about right. I'd appreciate it if you could pick it up for me.

The only other thing is that it could be tricky to convert from US$ to CA$, unless you use PayPal. PayPal can do this quite easily. But I'm sure if I wrote you a check that your bank would be more than happy to make the conversion for you.Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  22:06:44
quote:

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, but I was downstate over the weekend and had a cold and therefore didn't feel like going online.

Gack! It is TOO DANGEROUS for me to return to that place. I ended up carting off $30 of computer junk today, including a couple of classic games (Infocom, Ultima) and that Kaypro. The Kaypro made an excellent bench while waiting for the street car. I'll bet that people with PowerBooks couldn't do that. On the CD-ROM, I will see how I'm feeling tomorrow and get back to you.

FWIW, the "Buy the Pound" store frequently has software. Usually not Macintosh stuff, but older 8 and 16 bit stuff.

On the Amiga boards: I wouldn't bother. A lot of them are missing chips, so I'm guessing that somebody was practicing desoldering on them or using them to repair other systems (in which case, they must have been talented because those were surface mount components). From the 68020 processor, PCMCIA slot, and general layout of the board, I'm guessing that they were Amiga 1200s.

II2II

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  14:01:03
Sorry Lightning Stalker, I tried the AppleVision with two seperate cords and she didnt want to turn on. I had here hooked up to a Quadra. It was a 1710, a dirty, broken 1710. But check my other post for other interesting news!.

See:

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=4647.html

------------------

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  14:37:13
Aww well. Thanks for letting me know. There might be some instructions on how to fix it in one of those books I've heard about, but I've tried to fix monitors before and I just don't have that kind of expertise. Probably some nice transistors in there, though.

quote:
On the CD-ROM, I will see how I'm feeling tomorrow and get back to you.

k

Sounds like I need to move to Canada! I'll probably end up there anyway when they decide to invade North Korea and restart the draft.Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  09:07:43
Hey - Don't worry about the 600e. I garbage-picked a LaCie Teac CD-R 4x32 yesterday! I was looking for an external SCSI CD-ROM and a MAC compatible burner. I guess that was 2 birds with 1 stone!

More details comeing up in the 68k ConquestsGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  20:24:08
IIRC is

If
I
Remember
Correctly

IIRC

It used to make me SO MAD at the EveryMac Forums when people always said "IIRC, this and that and those etc etc"

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.