Big haul - 28 Macs and more

• 68kMLA Supporter

8 hour round trip to collect this lot, 28 Macs and accessories.

Too much to list everything, but these are the Macs that were in the lot: https://pastebin.com/r5YnuKux

One of the 6400s is Sonnet upgraded. The other machines look fairly stock.

I've just been through them all and removed the PRAM batteries. The Umax Apus 2000 has extensive battery damage but the others are OK.

I probably won't be keeping a lot (most?) of this - going to get recapping/restorations done and then will be flogging some things on here when I get to that point.

Most importantly, now we know that a Honda Civic can take 28 Macs + accessories just fine. :rambo:

8F5620F1-4B49-4A14-ABA1-8F625D3ECE2E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.eef4b76dbea60f9fa773755008e318df.jpeg

A27A274A-4844-4038-9B8C-FAC74F6254E9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.97579815a3b25e239929eedc45c5dfeb.jpeg

Let the recapping/restoration commence... :ii:

On 5/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, joshc said:

now we know that a Honda Civic can take 28 Macs + accessories just fine

I'm pretty sure this is going to start showing up in the Honda ads!  Its a definite sales point.

2 hours ago, Juror22 said:

I'm pretty sure this is going to start showing up in the Honda ads!  Its a definite sales point.

Honda Civics are the Tardis of cars - I used to own an 89 Civic, once when off work I came across a computer store clearing out their crap for free - must have packed 100+ laptops in there, 20 desktops, with room

• 68kMLA Supporter

According to the list there's a Umax Pulsar in there.   Nice.  I think that's the European version of the S900?   If so, be careful with the swing-open door covering the access to the front drive bays -- assuming it's still present.   The little pins that hinge it break too easily.

• 68kMLA Supporter
7 hours ago, max1zzz said:

Oooh Very nice! Looks like your pretty good at playing Mac Tetris :)

Credit mostly goes to the guy who I bought this lot from, who helped me pack the car.

7 hours ago, aeberbach said:

Mmm, Quadra 610... That's pretty lucky. And I admire your Mactris skill.

Yes, and the Q610 even works although something inside its PSU blew after being switched on for 30 mins - but the logicboard is fine. Will recap it for longevity but I'm very glad to have a working Q610 now.

3 hours ago, LaPorta said:

That's some skill driving manual and not bashing your hand into the Scanner!

Oh it wasn't that close actually. The scanner is also *so* heavy that it didn't budge at all while driving.

18 minutes ago, trag said:

If so, be careful with the swing-open door covering the access to the front drive bays -- assuming it's still present.

The door is already missing, but at least it 'just works' - I haven't had to do anything to that one yet, it just boots and works fine.

2 hours ago, MOS8_030 said:

I see a StarMax! Nice!

Yes, got a Starmax 3000 and Starmax 4000 in the lot, along with 4 other clones. The 3000 is going to @mg.man and the 4000 powers on but needs a bit of work.

I've been a bit rubbish at taking project photos from this lot. I have tested quite a few machines now.

Current state of play is 10 working (some recapped by me), 11 left to test, and 7 dead (all PSU related problems I think).

A few other interesting things...

The Umax Apus 2000 was a battery bomb victim - quite sad about that because it's the most interesting looking clone to me. But the original AA pack had been left in there and, well... :sadmac:

C78D4308-4658-46EB-9387-5408EA7781D2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c68a16b896af1e4ea946c4220ecbc137.jpeg

The 6100 has a DOS Compatibility card in it - score. Also got the Houdini cable + all the floppies that go with that.

The 6400 has a Sonnet Crescendo 400/1M in it - score.

The software from the lot is for sale here, it's all nice stuff but I don't need to keep it: 

The AppleCD 300 from the lot will be recapped and sold on, as I already have one and an AppleCD 600 that I intend on keeping.

There was a 400K floppy drive in the lot - disks won't insert so I will be restoring that and selling it on, I have no need for a 400K drive.

The Apple scanner doesn't work - it powers on but the diagnostic test says there's been a severe malfunction, so that's going to @Paulie because he likes broken beige.

What's next? Lots of recapping and PSU conversions/repairs. Both the 6400/6500 won't power on at all, and I suspect it's PSU related. I bought a cheap Seasonic 350W PSU to do some tests with.

Thanks for reading.

• 68kMLA Supporter

BTW, the Pulsar/S900 uses a standard ATX power supply BUT it has non-standard connectors on it.   It's not too difficult to build an ATX to Pulsar adapter cable.   There's an overly complicated article I wrote about building an adapter  on Kennedy Brandt's "SuperMac Insider" website.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Actually I'm getting them mixed up already. The Apus 3000 is the one I've tested which is under my desk and working.

The Pulsar is untested as of yet - sitting in my shed. The front bezel has seen better days for sure...

70184A8B-3E3D-4BF9-BD23-658DC4E0E7AC_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.450ca773d8f977738f271e83bb209620.jpeg

Good lord...

I am seriously interested in that Starmax 4000 if that's one of the machines you plan to part ways with. A long time ago (before I knew anything about computers) I nabbed one off a friend who'd inherited a load of old machines and spent about two days trying to boot Windows XP on it before realising it was not just a regular old PC... I gave it back! It makes me wince to think about that now. 

Congrats on a great find! I'd love to see some pics of the DOS-compatible 6100 in action if you manage to get it running.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, joshc said:

Actually I'm getting them mixed up already. The Apus 3000 is the one I've tested which is under my desk and working.

The Pulsar is untested as of yet - sitting in my shed. The front bezel has seen better days for sure...

That's too bad.   Back when I didn't have any cash, there was a fellow on the Supermacs Lowendmac email list who landed a score or more of the bezels from a third party seller of the machines.   I didn't have any immediate use for another bezel and lacked spare cash, so never bought any.  I think he eventually scrapped them.  Sigh.

Anyway, the case that Umax used was a Palo Alto ATCX Convertible -- also used by Dell and Micron on several machines, but with different style bezels.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/335

Edited by trag
6 hours ago, joshc said:

There was a 400K floppy drive in the lot - disks won't insert so I will be restoring that and selling it on, I have no need for a 400K drive

probably hardened grease, common issue, not a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

A little bit of an update on where this is all up to... I've been flogging bits I don't need along the way, which has included most of the software as I'm not really one for collecting boxed software.

Only two 7xxx machines worked (the 7100 and 7500), the rest blew up in a loud fashion when attempting to power them on - seems the PSUs used in non-7100 7xxxx machines are pretty shot by this point. The 7500 has found a new home and I'm looking for someone to take the dead 7xxx machines.

The clones were a bit of a failure overall really - most giving no video. They've all found a new home except for the Starmax desktop which I'm looking for a buyer for, and the Umax Apus 3000 which works and I'm keeping for the time being.

I'm still recapping/fixing stuff, but gradually I'm getting there. I haven't tested the II or IIx yet.

The 6400 and 6500 had dead PSUs but both will have a new home soon.

The IIvx was a battery explosion and was a real mess - I saved the logic board but it's heavily damaged in a few areas, will be useful to keep for parts, the front/rear bezels were sold, the PSU was salvaged to get a IIvi working, the drive/floppy drive were saved and the rest (the case/chassis) was scrapped. RIP IIvx.

The 610 worked until its power supply blew up. 630 has a dead PSU too. There seems to be a pattern here...

And that's pretty much where I'm up to. I'm still glad I got the lot, it didn't seem anyone else was crazy enough to buy everything and I've managed to save and pass on some stuff, and repair/salvage the rest.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:36 AM, trag said:

There's an overly complicated article I wrote about building an adapter  on Kennedy Brandt's "SuperMac Insider" website.

I'm on the hunt for the article but have had no luck rifling through the site mentioned here. Please could you send me a link to this page if you have it? I'm the new owner of this Pulsar!