I need to change the brand of my monitor

I have a couple of Apple M04041 monitors that I got from a fellow 68kmla-er a few years back, when he was losing a storage area and until now, I've just had them stored away myself.  I tested them last night and they work beautifully - clear, sharp and bright, sometimes you just forget how nice some of the monitors were (other than being stuck at 640x800).  Back in the 1980's, these would have been really expensive, which is why I suppose the original owners of these monitors decided to brand them like an 1880's steer.

IMG_5214.JPG.d81370c3ee536a928db126963dd5c007.JPG

I had a similar, but smaller branding issue with an ethernet adapter box that I didn't completely fix, but I greatly improved the appearance of, using a combination of alcohol, spare plastic and acetone.  I was wondering if there were any other suggestions, before I attempted to repair the melted-in area.

You could try using a filler, some sanding, then blending an overcoat of paint.  If there's a noticeable texture, you could use some clay to make a mold of the texture so that after you fill & sand, you can then reapply a texture before painting.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Juror22 said:

other than being stuck at 640x800

640x480 - oops and ouch!

Also I'm going to incorporate some, most of olePigeon's suggestions.

Edited by Juror22
3 hours ago, olePigeon said:

If there's a noticeable texture, you could use some clay to make a mold of the texture so that after you fill & sand, you can then reapply a texture before painting.

Unrelated to this specific case but wow, I have never thought of that. This is a great idea. Do you have any more hints about how to apply the texture after sanding. - Appliying an additional texture layer before painting or how would you to that?

Thanks!

@AndiS I've not done it myself, but I've seen others do it to good effect.  I missed a step, but yeah, after the resin filler & sand, but before you paint, do one more very thin layer of filler.  Then you apply the texture, and let it harden.  Then paint.

I don't know where it is, but another user on here converted a DuoDisk into an external SCSI drive by doing just that.  He filled in the floppy drive holes with resin filler, sanded, applied one more layer of filler, then the texture, then painted.  You wouldn't be able to tell it was ever a DuoDrive.

There's also a video of 8-bit Guy doing the same with an Apple II with a huge hole cut in it.

Edited by olePigeon
  • 2 weeks later...

'I had very good results getting rid of a large, deeply engraved property number on the front of my mac with acetone and very rough sandpaper to essentially "till the earth" and create a new flat surface. Once the acetone dried, I sanded the whole panel with finer sandpaper to make it smooth and even. It looked good, but was both smoother and more matte than original, and the acetone resurfaced location was un-yellowed. I retrobrighted to make everything the same colour and then sprayed the surface lightly with rattle can clear coat to give it a more original-looking "shiny orange peel" effect. Looks good IMO: you have to look at it in the right light from just the right angle to see the traces of the old marks. From 3 feet away dead on, it looks OEM.

This coming weekend is Memorial day here in the States, so I'll be taking off a few additional days from work, and spending some of that time working on these monitors, so I appreciate all the suggestions and really great ideas.  I will be sure to document the project so that I can share the results in a few weeks.

• 68kMLA Supporter
13 minutes ago, maceffects said:

The last time I saw that exact stamp was with I got computers from Notre Dame University surplus.  I was bummed that they stamped them like that, however, it is cool knowing the history.

I have an iBook Clamshell with the same problem. The university where it came from melted their name right into the plastic lid. I think that this monitor will be much easier to fix than the iBook because it isn't transparent.

I realize this is both unhelpful and unpopular;

Embrace it!

The youngest extant 68k Macs are 25 years old. I would be thoroughly surprised to find out that literally anyone here is the original owner of any of their machines. I strongly suspect that most of us aren't even the second owner of most of our machine.

Part of the allure of these machines is arguably that fact -- that they had different lives before. That there was different phases to their lives before! On something like a monitor it can have been used on a II series or an early Quadra from new and then cascaded down into a life of being a palettes or chat monitor on a system before being passed into the second-hand market where it can have done different things.

(Granted this is more exciting for a system itself where the system's configuration can have changed throughout its life.)

If you have any other similarly 'branded' or property tagged items, keep them together and go "this is my system from $PLACE!" -- granted, you have to be careful to take the correct liberties with that because it can be tough to verify that the pieces you have were actually used together, especially since Mac accessories (displays, peripherals of all kinds) lasted in active service FOREVER -- IME it was impossible to find any monitor bigger than 14" used in like 2002-2003 -- even in tech hubs. (Though for people who were adults at the time you probably recall being able to just buy a 17-inch monitor at the CompUSA anyway, sidestepping the problem I had, but still.)

Failing that, IDK, filling it in with glue and then strategically placing your own inventory sticker on top seems like the next best way to handle this if you really hate to look at that. I suppose you could see if anyone semi-local would be willing to swap or if anyone with a failed one has case plastics you can use.