My latest acquisition is a PB 145B with a torn display cable. I saw a thread where one was repaired using a SCSI cable. Is anyone reproducing these cables, or is repair my only course of action? Anyone have a spare SCSI cable?...

145B.jpg

Hi Garrett,

Have you a close up of the severed cable?  Shame the tear is not in a straight line you can sand back the coating to expose copper, flux and resolder for a decent join.  On a corner such as this, yes fine wire resolder onto each pin is possible, but you need wide and consistent spacing on the traces to make it a success.  I recently tried to recover a torn flex cable on an IBM Thinkpad 860 - which had wiring of varied widths and distance - and failed.

Edited by Byrd

Here's a closer look at the tear. I also picked up a spare cable today in case I need it for the repair. I am still puzzled as to if this was a result of regular use, or caused by some troubleshooting by the prior owner (display needed a capacitor replacement). All of the traces combined are barely wider than my finger, so I can't say how well a solder splice at the tear would hold up, but I suppose I don't have anything to lose!

cable.jpg

tear.jpg

22 hours ago, Garrett_B said:

Here's a closer look at the tear. I also picked up a spare cable today in case I need it for the repair. I am still puzzled as to if this was a result of regular use, or caused by some troubleshooting by the prior owner (display needed a capacitor replacement). All of the traces combined are barely wider than my finger, so I can't say how well a solder splice at the tear would hold up, but I suppose I don't have anything to lose

To save you some hours of frustration, I'd say don't bother splicing cable unless you are particularly good with soldering.  By the time you sand back, cut and splice wires on ... you run out of space, the wires break, you have to sand back more copper - really not fun.

As the tear is not on a 90 degree join and the wiring straight not bent, I'd try this method, if you have nothing to lose.  Flux, good solder and superglue to hold it down is your friend.

Edited by Byrd

It was the simplest video I could find; it almost looks too easy and perhaps on wider pitched flex

cable it really isn’t that hard to do. Results will vary on thinner flex cable and how well you reinforce it after the repair (some sort of thin hard plastic sleeve taped down would help)

• 68kMLA Supporter

So, that thread you're talking about was probably mine. I completed this repair successfully on one of my 180cs, but it's not for the faint of heart. Couple things to consider:

- Don't splice at the point of the pictured tear. The cable is just too thin there. Cut it back to the wider sections at either end.

- Stagger there pads you create when stripping the insulation so you're not soldering one wire right next to the last.

- Use a finer pitch cable than the one pictured. 80-pin PIDE or 68-pin UW SCSI are good candidates. Find one with stranded conductors for flex durability if at all possible!!!