Evie's Conquests (new)

My old thread is buried...somewhere and I didn't feel like digging it up, so I just decided to make a new one. The main conquest I've had recently is my G5 Quad, which I purchased locally off Facebook Marketplace for $150. What a machine it is! I can't wait to upgrade it and see what it can do.

EzWLMC5UcAEzj31.thumb.jpg.9bc3197eaf89c295979fb44c8317f3bf.jpgEzWLMhJVoAET02n.thumb.jpg.e07ce5db10d422a6b4e225ed6dbfc243.jpgEzWLNTiVcAc6-gP.thumb.jpg.6d18c2b65420fc0cdb9fdf0fe257d2f4.jpg

EzgKknOXEAIHbaE.jpg

EzgKl7WWEAIjass.jpg

EzgKlU7XMAQ1h1z.jpg

EzWLM5_UYAk87s9.jpg

That's an early Quad, single pump. Looks to be in great condition! You'll want to service the liquid cooling system ASAP, they're all clogged up to some extent by now and you will definitely need new thermal paste. I would heavily advise you to not use this machine for long periods of time until you have service the cooling system. An upgrade to 12/16GB of RAM is fairly cheap, I think it cost me around £30 for 4 x 2GB sticks. Looks like you've already got a nice GPU in there but I recommend upgrading the coolers, those stock single-slot ones can barely keep up. 

On 4/23/2021 at 11:10 AM, PowerMac_G4 said:

That's an early Quad, single pump. Looks to be in great condition! You'll want to service the liquid cooling system ASAP, they're all clogged up to some extent by now and you will definitely need new thermal paste. I would heavily advise you to not use this machine for long periods of time until you have service the cooling system. An upgrade to 12/16GB of RAM is fairly cheap, I think it cost me around £30 for 4 x 2GB sticks. Looks like you've already got a nice GPU in there but I recommend upgrading the coolers, those stock single-slot ones can barely keep up. 

Yeah, I plan on servicing it as soon as I can but I need some tools beforehand, like those long T-handle Allen wrenches that are just about mandatory to service the LCS. And I don't even know what kind of coolant to put in to replace what's in there now...

23 hours ago, EvieSigma said:

I don't even know what kind of coolant to put in to replace what's in there now...

You can use regular computer water cooling fluid, you just have to be very careful to remove all of the old coolant first to prevent chemical reactions. 

Here's a link to a great writeup of the work that needs doing to your machine.

My mom calls me up today to tell me she bought me an "old Apple computer" at an estate sale. It turned out to be this complete Macintosh SE setup, which was used by the daughter of the estate owners during her college years at Drexel University. It took some cleaning due to sitting for twenty plus years but it fired right up, and the cleaned and greased floppy drives work perfectly.

PXL_20210501_231411978.jpg

E0VqpJeWUAEpQqE.jpg

Such an excellent find!  It is so great when others (friends, family, community) are looking out to help you with the hobby an definitely a plus when you can get a keyboard and mouse along with the computer..

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since I last found a Mac...but today I found this Macintosh SE/30 with an Ethernet card on Facebook Marketplace for 30 dollars! 30 dollars! I have no idea if it works at all but for 30 dollars I don't even care, if it's dead I can transplant my working but ugly SE/30 into this much nicer shell.

PXL_20210613_160051733.jpg

PXL_20210613_160101502.jpg

PXL_20210613_160109448.jpg