Starmax 3000 Internal ODD Replacement

Looking for recommendations on a white internal 5.25" optical drive to replace the stock ODD on my 3000/200DT, which is not functioning. Prefer tray load but slot in could work too.

Would be nice to have extra features like DVD or Burning capability, but not required. Thanks!

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

DVD authoring will be dependent on your version of Mac OS... which, unless someone corrects me, is 9.2.1, which is sadly beyond the out-of-the-box capabilities of StarMax. You could try using OS 9 Helper, but I was unable to get anything above 9.1 installed. Maybe you'll have better luck :) 

DVD read-only could be accomplished with an IDE DVD drive, of course, but you'd need 1) the updated Apple CD/DVD Driver 1.4 extension 2) a compatible IDE DVD drive*, and 3) a graphics chipset with MPEG-2 decoding to actually play DVD movies: the Rage II+ DVD chipset on higher spec StarMax machines can do this, possibly. Another avenue is a PCI Rage128 with the MPEG-2 daughter card, as found in B&W PowerMac G3 models like this one:
sapJrKp.jpg

*As far as a replacement IDE CD-ROM only drive, There are a number of drives for sale on eBay. I purchased one from a beige G3 (24x) and two others from B&W machines, I think, which are 32x and they work just fine in my StarMax. Same goes for DVD drives: probably from a B&W G3 or G4 Yikes/Sawtooth or something like that.

One other avenue, which comes with more risk, is using a two-way IDE-SATA bridge with a SATA optical drive, and using that with the "universal" version of the Apple CD-ROM extension from the 7.6 (not 7.6.1) install media. I never recorded official results from my own tests with the generic SATA-IDE bridged into my StarMax, so if you wanted to be safe, I would just use an Apple-co-branded IDE CD-ROM.

Just be sure not to buy a SCSI optical drive ;) 

Edited by jessenator

Thanks for the info! I do own an ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition, which I believe does support DVD playback natively on the card (at least the back of the box mentions it). Would that work?

Meanwhile, I grabbed this $30 40x NEC CD drive that was up on eBay just to use as a "safe" backup option. With that out of the way I'm gonna do some research on DVD drive options for future upgrades for this box...

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Dezant said:

ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition

Yeah, as long as it's PCI and not AGP, it should work. You'll definitely want the standalone drivers if you're opting for something like Mac OS 7.6.1 or something: http://system7today.com/drivers

Later version of Mac OS... (8.5 onward?) had some ATi drivers as part of the system install, but possibly not for the 7000...

Edited by jessenator
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with a Nakamichi 5-Disc CD Jukebox in the top slot, and a Pioneer DVD-305S in the lower slot, both SCSI (I had to get a 3-terminal internal scsi ribbon cable and an analog Y splitter cable to get them both fully working).

They're both working great now after borrowing the apple co-branded optical drive out of a beige g3 mini tower I have to get CD-ROM Toolkit set up initially, so the Nakamichi drive would boot. DVD drive is fast as shit for reading CD-ROMs, 40x making installs very quick and painless.  Picked up both drives brand new old stock from a nearby (orange county, CA) seller on eBay so they are working beautifully with no fuss or issues reading burned media:)

20210506_102700.jpg