IBM P75's, Compact Macs, Apple IIc, SunBlade 2000

Got another load of stuff a few days ago. It was $1000 for this stuff, 2 more Apple IIc's, 8 G5 towers, 6 or 7 Powermacs, an Apple IIe, a DEC Rainbow, and I can't remember what else, but I split it with my friend and paid $300 for what I got here plus some joysticks and a broken Mac IIvx. So I got 2 of the IBM P75 luggables, which I think cost around $15,000 new. They both have perfect screens and mostly work except the floppy and hard drives, and the one not pictured is kinda rough with a bad video card. The Sun works but I don't have the right keyboard for it, the IIc is untested but the monitor works, and the 2 Mac Pluses get to a question mark floppy screen and the SE boots up perfectly fine! One of the Mac Pluses also has a strange video output card I have to take a closer look at.

messages_0 (5).jpeg

messages_0 (4).jpeg

messages_0 (3).jpeg

messages_0 (2).jpeg

• 68kMLA Supporter

Nice! USB keyboards for the SunBlade are available on the 'bay. I don't have extras or I'd send you one. I might have a FC drive for it if you need one.

Show us the Rainbow! :-)

21 hours ago, ScutBoy said:

Nice! USB keyboards for the SunBlade are available on the 'bay. I don't have extras or I'd send you one. I might have a FC drive for it if you need one.

Show us the Rainbow! :-)

Yeah, I'll have to order a keyboard for the Sun. What's an FC drive? If I had the rainbow I'd show it but my friend took that lol

20 hours ago, Byrd said:

Nice haul - they all look pretty nicely cared for.  Gas plasma screens are awesome, are the IBM luggables working?

Well actually they were sitting under the guy's porch for over a year, the pictures of the p75 and the IIc was absolutely disgusting lol. The IBM in the picture seems to work except the floppy and hard drive, and the same with the second except the video card has issues on top of that. They both need a recap really badly, trying to find someone who can do that for me

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/13/2021 at 2:40 AM, RadRacer203 said:

Yeah, I'll have to order a keyboard for the Sun. What's an FC drive? If I had the rainbow I'd show it but my friend took that lol

The SunBlades use Fiber Channel (FC) drives. Looks like an SCA connector, but narrower.

You might get away with a "regular" USB keyboard to do basic power-up testing. You can also connect to the serial console, but the USB keyboard needs to be unplugged for that. 9600,8,N,1

Look on eBay for Sun USB Type 6 or Type 7

Nice find on the Sun Blade 2000. It’s one of my favorite Sun systems and one of the final true workstations before everything started going commodity parts. The CPU cards are very sensitive to how torqued the screws are - make sure to use the Sun supplied torque screwdriver! Sometimes these cpu cards get loose which will cause the system to not boot or behave erratically.

There are interesting cards available for the Blade 2000. SunPCi III, Sun XVR-1000 GPU.

Best OS for it is Solaris 10. It runs well. 

I was given a P75 for free from an eBay seller I had bought stuff from before. It has a wonky screen with a broken/loose hinge and that led to the display sometimes working and sometimes not. The main problem is that thanks to IBM's poor design, the weird Alps floppy drive is not protected from dust ingress and most P75s have that drive seizing up sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, it is a unique design with an integrated power cum data ribbon and only to be found on this and the PS/2 55SX desktop. You can cobble together a cable tapping the power from elsewhere so that you can use any generic floppy drive but space inside and the design of the ribbon cable in the P75 makes it super tricky to fit in. 

Added to that is the fact that the P75 uses an ESDI drive, which isn't easy to find, let alone cheap and you can see why I got mine for free. Get it fixed somehow and it will pay for the rest of your haul, however. They are sought after.