A generous colleague gave me his entire childhood computing collection - a pretty insane haul

• 68kMLA Supporter

To say that I’m overwhelmed by this would be an understatement: This past weekend, an incredibly generous colleague just gave me his entire childhood retrocomputing collection - he's downsizing his life ahead of a big move, and decided that holding onto this stuff was less appealing than adding it to my Retro Roadshow, where they might be restored / shared / enjoyed for years to come. My poor Prius was sagging on the drive home! A quick list/summary follows:

At first glance:

• Boxed Commodore VIC-20 w/ monitor & accessories
  • Boxed Commodore 64 w/ monitor & accessories
  • Amiga 500 w/ monitor, TONS of software, manuals, multiple SCSI drives, boxed games, etc.
  • Pair of Apple IIe's w/ monitor and disk drives
  • Super Nintendo with hookups & controllers
  • Regular Nintendo with hookups & controllers
  • Commodore dot-matrix printer
  • TONS of C64 games
  • Video in/out system for Amiga + MIDI box
  • Tons of Amiga floppies + several boxed Amiga games
  • SO much more, can't even say - I've got a lot of work to do just cataloging all this stuff!

I made a quick album of some of this stuff as I started to unpack my car - here's the link. If there's interest, I'll update with another post down the road as I start to actually work through everything, test the systems, etc. I did spent the other evening going through the Amiga box and cataloging everything, which you can enjoy via a Twitter thread, if you're curious what was in there - it was a total blast!

:-)

Huxley

• 68kMLA Supporter

Great find!  You seem to have been getting lucky the past few months, between the NEXT setup and this!

The Amigas are fun machines.  2 player Lemmings with 2 mice!

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Torbar said:

Great find!  You seem to have been getting lucky the past few months, between the NEXT setup and this!

The Amigas are fun machines.  2 player Lemmings with 2 mice!

So, so true - feel like I must've racked up some extra-good karma or something! 2-player Lemmings is a great suggestion, I'll rope my kid in to try that with me. I'm especially excited to play Hired Guns, which is the only 4-players-on-one-computer RPG I think I've ever seen. I was so surprised when I opened the box and found a unique splitter-cable, for attaching two more joysticks to the machine!

:-)

Huxley

PS 

There is nothing like the sound of a dot matrix printer! :)

Which model is it? The mps-801 looked retro-spacey, but was insanely loud, if I remember correctly. There was a black, later one as well that looked nice!