SE/30 boots but with thick vertical bars

So I am repairing my first compact Mac, an SE/30 I bought off eBay a few years ago. When I first restored it, I took the motherboard out, recapped the board, and gave it a bath. At the time, that fixed the issues it was having, except for the sound was a little quiet.

A few years have passed since then, with some light use. Now, the machine still boots but I am facing two issues: (1) the video has wide bars of corrupted display, and (2) there is no sound at all (although I can hear the boot chime if I plug in headphones). The video issue was intermittent at first, but now it is constant.

I've searched online and found similar problems, yet nothing quite matches the problem I am having. The vertical bars are persistent, but can be "modified" by moving the mouse cursor around or dragging a window. When I restart the machine, there are sometimes still a few screen artifacts from the previous boot. I have attached some photos.

I've tried cleaning the connectors to the motherboard and analog board, reseated the ROM (I tried both the stock ROM and a Rominator II), as well as reseated the RAM (8MB: 6 x 1MB Index Gold, 2 x 1MB Samsung). I am at a loss as to where to go from here and would appreciate any help.

Desktop.jpg

MovingMouseAround.jpg

Edited by grant327
  • 68kMLA Supporter

This looks like a RAM issue. There are two banks and I don't think you're supposed to mix capacities and types per bank. Try installing 4x of the same type in Bank A only.