SE/30 logicboard recreation

19 hours ago, techknight said:

Yea, the IIx uses that weird chip

Yep... at the time, I had a IIx as well, but wanted to keep the II (older, more "original"), but wanted to have HD floppy capability.  I know Apple produced an "upgrade" for the II to give it HD floppy support... the upgrade included the SWIM + a new set of ROMs.  I figured the ROMs could be programmed up, but didn't anticipate the challenge tracking down that "smaller" SWIM chip...  :-/

In the end, I decided the 800k floppies were even more "original", so aborted the project...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, mg.man said:

Yep... at the time, I had a IIx as well, but wanted to keep the II (older, more "original"), but wanted to have HD floppy capability.  I know Apple produced an "upgrade" for the II to give it HD floppy support... the upgrade included the SWIM + a new set of ROMs.  I figured the ROMs could be programmed up, but didn't anticipate the challenge tracking down that "smaller" SWIM chip...  :-/

In the end, I decided the 800k floppies were even more "original", so aborted the project...

yeah i was wanting to run a Plus as an FDHD with a ROM patch and a SWIM, but those DIP chips dried up in supply. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, demik said:

Is this 100% sure ? I recovered one 344S0602-A from a Maxell bombed IIx board.

The GLUE was also used on the IIx and IIcx, as far as I know.

Edited by Daniël Oosterhuis
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 3:04 AM, ants said:

Yeah I did manage to make a polyurethane panel in the shape of the classic CRT. I learned a lot and would love to have another go at it when time permits. Next time round I would include mounting tabs so that the panel could easily be screwed onto the case.

127888300_IMG_20190524_1818342-3024x2268.thumb.jpg.ae7485deafaff30b1f3945cdd3cb6a61.jpg.58ef385ed47f0b7bd58249125629d004.jpg

Wow - this is the Holy Grail for me. It's the missing link that would let me rebuild a compact into a modern/retro computer.

I would love to know more about this - how you did it - how it turned out.

just wondering and sorry if its already been answered and ii've missed it but from what I gather,

firstly the se/30 logic board recreation is complete and at some stage Gerber files will be available to download?

secondly the glue chip is what sets the buss speed and it will at some point be possible to replace it with something modern that will allow the bus speed and cpu speed to be increased? and assuming that's possible it won't affect the video, serial ect..

thirdly in regards to the se/30 gerber files will they be free or will boards be available for purchase (im very interested in squirting one regardless of what the process will be)

lastly does this bring the potential for a faster se/30 be it as mentioned firstly or will an accelerator add-on eventually be incorporated into the logic board

again sorry if these questions have already been answered in the thread

I think we're fine having you ask @Chopsticks, it's all on Bolle's timeline of picking up on the next steps when it is convenient in his personal time.  But, as he noted in the beginning of this thread, persistently asking is what got the project as far as it has currently gotten, and I think the "finish line" will be quite similar.

Picking up on that same vibe, I'd be interested in Gerbers too.  Even chipping in money to get them into the public domain if that's what it comes down to.

• 68kMLA Supporter

The second revision of the board is finished and rules out the errors of the first one and has some small improvements and things cleaned up here and there.

@joshc ordered a few boards of that new revision to test them because I don't have the time on my hands right now to do any testing.

If that test turns out good I'd say it's going to be time to release the Gerbers for everyone else to use and get their own boards done.

Gerbers will also be available on github: https://github.com/TheRealBolle/SE30

I don't think I am going to do any further modifications to the board except what's going to be needed to replace the GLUE with something else - if that should ever happen. I like to keep things close to what they have initially been, if I wanted a super fast CPU, SD card storage right on the board, built in ethernet and wifi I'd just go RPi and call it a day.

To run the bus at 32MHz or more you will have to mess with the DRAM controller in the GLUE and at least add some waitstates and probably modify the refresh logic as well so it won't interfere with your faster accesses. This might come as a freebie with a replacement GLUE so I'd say why not though ;)

Not sure how I am going to tackle the whole GLUE thing though. @quorten what's your plans for after you're done with the SE BBU? :tongue: