Quadra 700 Floppy Drive Mounting Bracket and System Install

Hi there,

I acquired a Quadra 700 many years back, and it has just sat in the attic for many years.  Recently, I have attempted to boot it up, and while the hard drive has bitten the dust, the machine does get to the "Mac ? disk" screen.  I have managed to find a working hard drive to go in it, and I have bought a new floppy drive (the old one was missing) but I don't have either of the mounting brackets to secure it in the machine.  Does anyone know which part number these mounting brackets are or a way of mounting them in the machine without them?  I have had a look on ebay (and for Mac Iicx and ci versions too), but so fat have had no luck.  After I get it all correctly mounted, I then need to find a floppy disk version of system 7.5.5 to install on the HD.  Can I make new disks using a USB floppy disk drive and OS9? (I I have a Pismo Powerbook for this(

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated!

• 68kMLA Supporter

By 'mounting bracket' what do you mean?  The large plastic object? I can't see any model numbers on mine, and no part number is mentioned in the service manual either.

For floppies, 1.44MB floppies can be written on basically anything with an HD floppy drive, PC or Mac, from an image.  It's only 800K/400K Mac discs that are difficult.

Posted (edited)

Hopfenholz, that would be amazing, thank you so much.  By bracket, I mean the metal bracket that attaches to the floppy drive and then clips into the ‘large plastic object’! And thanks to everyone else who replied, really appreciated.  Very interesting about the network install, I didn't realise this was possible.  I will obviously also have to find an AAUI-15 adaptor to get on to my home network.  I had a quick search on here for a topic on installing over the network but couldn't find anything - is there a guide somewhere?  

Edited by dunderc
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/9/2021 at 2:18 AM, dunderc said:

I had a quick search on here for a topic on installing over the network but couldn't find anything - is there a guide somewhere?  

The trick is that the OS installer really doesn't care what kind of disc it's being run from.  Therefore, you can do this:

• There's a floppy disc called the "Network Access Disk".  This is a floppy disc that contains a minimal System 7.5, ethernet drivers and AppleShare-over-AppleTalk support.
  • You can use this to mount a network share, from another old Mac or from something like a raspberry pi running a2server or macippi
  • Into this network share you just dump the contents of the MacOS install volume you want.
  • You run the installer from the network share.

It's much easier than installing a lot of OSes over the network; you don't need anything beyond normal file sharing to do it.  If you'd like more details let me know and I'll try to flesh out the above.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:18 AM, dunderc said:

I will obviously also have to find an AAUI-15 adaptor to get on to my home network

A few days ago there was someone selling quite a number of them for a reasonable price (~16quid) in France.  Postage was a bit of a killer, unfortunately, but it's an option if you want one fast.

Thanks for this, really helpful.  I actually have a NuBus ethernet card, but its not an Apple one, and it doesn't have any markings on it. I have been unable to find out which one it is, and therefore which drivers it might need.  I will keep a look out for the AAUI adaptors though.  i used to have loads back in the day, but they are long gone now sadly. 

Posted (edited)

Ok, excellent thanks.  And I assume, if I find the drivers, I can drop them on to the image if they are not bundled as standard?

I've included a picture of the card if anyone has any ideas what it is! I know its a SCII RNIS card, but I can't find anything on the internet about drivers, etc.  Would be great if they are included in the OS as a default.

IMG_9886.jpeg

IMG_9887.jpeg

Edited by dunderc
  • 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, dunderc said:

I know its a SCII RNIS card

Ohhhhh, that's not an Ethernet card, even though it has an RJ45 on it.  That's a ISDN card.  "RNIS" is the French acronym for ISDN.

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, dunderc said:

not that useful these days?!

Not unless you're running a miniature telco out of your house.  Which is a valid hobby, but not one that has many adherents.