Sixty Eight Thousand Inc - technical information, schematics, documentation

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the winner of today's auction for 3 more cards, so if ROM dumps end up being needed I'll do it. Mostly just wanted the 040 PDS one to try for funsies in one of my Q950s, but I already have a SiliconExpress IV so...

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Libretto said:

I am the winner of today's auction for 3 more cards, so if ROM dumps end up being needed I'll do it. Mostly just wanted the 040 PDS one to try for funsies in one of my Q950s, but I already have a SiliconExpress IV so...

Awesome! Based on my experience if these can be made to work, they should outperform the SiliconExpress IVs on the 950. I added the most recent eBay pictures to the Imgur album in my first post.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:32 PM, Unknown_K said:

Did you get any software for these cards?

No software was included with them, so I'm hoping either there's still an archive somewhere, or at least the SCSI cards may be able to run from ROM like the Jackhammer/SEIV cards.

I would venture a guess that the hurricane card takes a A80860xp-50 CPU, commonly found around for $15 or so. No idea what the other chips would be, though. I can see four BQFP chips at the top of the card which I am relatively certain are processor cache, so my guess is the secondary PGA socket is a cache or memory controller, anyway.

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 3/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, Libretto said:

I would venture a guess that the hurricane card takes a A80860xp-50 CPU, commonly found around for $15 or so. No idea what the other chips would be, though. I can see four BQFP chips at the top of the card which I am relatively certain are processor cache, so my guess is the secondary PGA socket is a cache or memory controller, anyway.

It seems between us we have the lesser-filled of both the Rev A and B Hurricane boards, but the eBay pictures of the other Rev A and B are more complete and have the missing part numbers visible- still missing the A80860 and the other large adjacent chip.

https://imgur.com/a/lyQsXxN (same link as in my first post)

The docs in my first download seem to indicate these were used as in-house testing boards. There appear to be checksums for some of the chips there, perhaps even enough detail to reprogram missing ones... I haven't had time to look through everything carefully yet.

The first hurricane board has 3 chips on the back that are absent in rev B, and rev B has less bodge wires. I get the impression these were internal development/prerelease boards, perhaps. That'd explain the missing 860 and cache controllers - at the time those were still worth a lot of money and could just be used on newer boards. I doubt more than a few hundred of each board were ever made.

U14 on the first hurricane board pictured looks like the corner of the chip is damaged or melted, hoping that's fixable.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I was worried about that as well from the auction pictures, but it seems both of the Rev A boards employed this interesting bodge.

IMG_8363.thumb.jpeg.d4cb4593b9e9c7fdc286434b44b09c0c.jpeg

Page 24 of the first PDF (section zero, I called it) begins an email exchange about Hurricane troubleshooting. On page 28, Erik K of Sixty Eight Thousand counts inventory of what are probably these boards- two rev A and two rev B, noting some missing components and that the Rev B boards weren't working.

Beginning page 3 of the same PDF, might that be the literal hardcopy of the code for the MACH220 I'm missing at U13? Don't want to get too excited but looks like it could be.

Additionally, page 3 of my second PDF (Section One) has some pen notations which perhaps indicate that only five rev A boards were ever built and all were prototypes.

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Libretto said:

I get the impression these were internal development/prerelease boards, perhaps

This would also explain the presence of emails going "oh crap, we've got to build some more of these for testing" in the first blob of docs that @jeremywork scanned :-)

The cache controller being an 82495 is interesting, in that I have a compaq pentium 90 processor card next to me using an 82497 with the same BQFP cache modules.

The 82495 can, fortunately, still be found for sale online in the required 50MHz package matching the 860XP.

A82495XP-50-Antique-cpu-collection-history-witness-Chip-1PCS

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Libretto said:

The cache controller being an 82495 is interesting, in that I have a compaq pentium 90 processor card next to me using an 82497 with the same BQFP cache modules.

The 82495 can, fortunately, still be found for sale online in the required 50MHz package matching the 860XP.

That's good to see. Looks like all the physical hardware can be acquired, so that'll be an easy step 1. Getting one actually working may be a greater feat still :)

Excellent news regarding the 040 PDS RAID Warrior: When plugged into a Q950 with a PowerBook 540 in SCSI Disk mode, the PowerBook's drive mounts on the 950's desktop (not a great candidate for speed tests, but proof of concept!)

I can't see the SCSI controller in formatting tools such as Silverlining Pro and Anubis (only show the 950's dual onboard controllers,) but in TattleTech's Nubus/PDS section its details show. (Even TattleTech's SCSI section does not show.)

IMG_8371.thumb.jpeg.f647416f01bf24bf03c85d9c82d8d376.jpeg

Edit: The 950 happily boots from PowerBook drive on the RAID Warrior, too!

P.S. I didn't have a suitable SCSI Disk Mode adapter for the PowerBook nearby, so I just interrupted the CPU before boot time. Since the CPU will not touch the SCSI bus while interrupted, it is safe to use this way. This trick also works for early PowerBooks that do not support SCSI Disk Mode, such as the 140-170 series.

Edited by jeremywork
  • 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Another RAID Warrior & Hurricane Rev B for $70 BIN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sixty-Eight-Thousand-INC-68000-NUBUS-PDS-MAC-CLONE-SUPER-RARE-CARDS-LOT-2/154365290689

(edit: no longer available)

Pictures added to the album.

ROM dumps coming soon for the PDS RAID Warrior when I receive my reader, now that I know I can safely ignore the "BAD" note on my example.

I'm also itching to try a SCSI Bolt in my IIfx, but I first need to get back to this thread and finish installing my VSO to take it to 50MHz.

Look for an update on that thread before I confirm the IIfx Bolt works.

Edited by jeremywork
  • 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, pcamen said:

Now you guys have me thinking I want one, even though I have no idea what I would need it for. :)

Super relatable :cool:

With any luck the two SCSI cards can be recreated in the near future now.

Btw, do you have a TL866 or similar ROM reader? I have one in my shopping cart but my bank account could use a moment to breathe :)

If you're interested in a IIfx Bolt, I'll most likely have a spare after the ROMs are dumped, unless one turns out to be bad.

20 hours ago, jeremywork said:

Btw, do you have a TL866 or similar ROM reader? I have one in my shopping cart but my bank account could use a moment to breathe :)

Yea, I do have a ROM reader.  I just need to find it.  Let me dig around today or tomorrow and get back to you. 

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, pcamen said:

Yea, I do have a ROM reader.  I just need to find it.  Let me dig around today or tomorrow and get back to you. 

Awesome, much appreciated!

19 hours ago, Bolle said:

Did I mention techfury snagged one of the solo IIfx Bolt auctions for me?

Once that card shows up we'll know how close it is to the Quadra PDS variant.

Very glad to hear one will be in your hands soon!

Do you also have a lock on one of the Quadra PDS ones? If not I imagine you'll want a dump of U2 and U3 as well. I know enough to be dangerous, but with some guidance I'll be able to get those to you.

19 hours ago, jeremywork said:

If not I imagine you'll want a dump of U2 and U3 as well. I know enough to be dangerous, but with some guidance I'll be able to get those to you.

Code listings for U2 and U3 are in the documents, so not necessarily. Those are likely to be secured. (+ you need a very expensive or very old programmer for those anyways)

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, Bolle said:

Code listings for U2 and U3 are in the documents, so not necessarily. Those are likely to be secured. (+ you need a very expensive or very old programmer for those anyways)

Oh good.

You're filling in some gaps in my knowledge here- I'm glad to know the code listings in the documents seem comprehensive enough to recreate these chips. With any luck the same is true of the Hurricane boards (even if less useful than the SCSI cards I'd love to see one of them running.)

P.S. I recognize this socket doesn't have enough pins to be useful here, but does this old programmer stand out to you as anything special? It came with a Commodore lot I picked up a couple years ago.

IMG_8374.thumb.jpeg.c7eaf37376cc179d6fa93ea6d66373a8.jpeg