Removing M0110 switches

• 68kMLA Supporter

I recently bought two M0110 keyboards. One functions perfectly, but has a broken stem on one of the keys, the other does not function at all.  I want to swap a switch to have one that is fully functional.  I cannot seem to get these switches out and the few things I've found online didn't really seem to help. Does anyone have any good tricks or a video for getting these out?

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 2/23/2021 at 8:30 PM, Stillwell said:

I recently bought two M0110 keyboards. One functions perfectly, but has a broken stem on one of the keys, the other does not function at all.  I want to swap a switch to have one that is fully functional.  I cannot seem to get these switches out and the few things I've found online didn't really seem to help. Does anyone have any good tricks or a video for getting these out?

I removed all of the keys from a M0120, which is a numpad that accompanies the M0110. This was accomplished without a damage by using a soldering iron, solder braid, and a solder sucker. Once the keys were removed I disassembled each of them and cleaned the entire inside, including the delicate leaf spring. There were many spots on the leafspring which would not clean with isopropyl alcohol or deoxit and in the end I used a very fine tipped fiberglass pen (successfully). During cleaning I repeatedly disassembled and repeated my cleaning efforts on particularly troublesome keys while performing continuity testing to confirm they all worked. After all of that wonderful adventure was over I reassembled the whole thing.

It was a pretty time consuming effort, so I wouldn't recommend expecting to do it all in one sitting. In other words... make sure you're organized and keep track of your parts / progress or you may end up with a bunch of little parts which do not equal the whole. :sadmac:

• 68kMLA Supporter

Thanks for the tips. I finally dug into it today and was able to get the switches out of my broken keyboard and put one into the good board. And it works! Mine aren't sticky or anything, but I was debating cleaning the switches on the good keyboard by just hosing them with contact cleaner and mashing them a bunch.

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, Stillwell said:

Thanks for the tips. I finally dug into it today and was able to get the switches out of my broken keyboard and put one into the good board. And it works! Mine aren't sticky or anything, but I was debating cleaning the switches on the good keyboard by just hosing them with contact cleaner and mashing them a bunch.

Good work! If you decide you don't want the broken keyboard then please let me know, I would be interested in it for parts.