8600 RAM or SCSI2SD Issue?

This machine has been a labor of love. It's a rescued 8600 that I had up and running over the summer with a V6 revF scsi2sd, a 4GB Panasonic SLC card, and a new PRAM battery. It was great- no issues. Glorious 7.6.1

I haven't used it in a few months (left plugged in). Now when it boots it will either not boot (screen is still in standby), boot to desktop and freeze after a few moments, or boot to desktop and open a blank error box (black & white rectangle) and be unresponsive even to the soft reboot. Sometimes if it does respond to the soft keyboard reboot, it won't chime and will just sit with a screen in standby.

I read nymunariya's post and downloaded the updated v6 utility and firmware, installed, but the problem has not gone away. I have pour too much of myself into this machine to give up just yet. Blind Writes is disabled. I've tried it with SCSI2 enabled, Speed to to 10MB/s as well as No Limit. Still, it will or will not boot desktop but always freezes.

What are the collective thoughts? Software? Hardware? Virtual memory is off but I have been running Speed Doubler. I hope I haven't cooked the card (which is why I chose and SLC version).

Thank you, maceffects. Let's assume its software: what could have changed since last boot to now? It makes me think that the SCSI2SD is corrupting something critical. Its curious. I have a twin 8600 with the same specs save for the original SCSI drive, and it's a-ok.

I wonder if the v6 boards are the problem. My older boards have been fine (v5.1).

12 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

corrupted from not being used...?

I had a similar thought, although I don't know why that would happen. If there was any data issue, I'm inclined to think it is the device and not the card. I bought that card specifically for its industrial grade tolerances. As for temperature, the machine is in the office with others (which have remained fine.)

I have a v5.1 SCSI2SD that I could try out. I really want to pin this on the v6 because that's an easy swap out. :o)

I do know that flash memory can leak it’s data when not powered or used. A SSD and USB sticks are notorious for loss of data as a result. Less so with the SSD but storage without power does affect the data stored on it. 

I have had USB sticks get corrupted from simple storage. Even brand new preformatted ones that sit for a couple of years get corrupt file systems and need to be formatted before use. I’ve seen this numerous times with my stock of genuine Kingston USB sticks. 

Same goes with flash memory cards. I have a dashcam and I use high reliability SD cards and if it is not used for a couple of weeks and sits in hot or cold, the card becomes corrupt and needs to be formatted. 

Something similar could be at play here. Just a thought. 

I suppose that's a possibility. So far, I haven't had that issue with any flash media...yet. There's always a first and thanks to irony, it would happen to the card that I bought to prevent that exact scenario. I'll try booting without extensions and then with an older SCSI2SD.

Out of curiosity, which General Settings are considered to be correct for PPC Macs? SCSI2 enabled?

3 hours ago, LCARS said:

I suppose that's a possibility. So far, I haven't had that issue with any flash media...yet. There's always a first and thanks to irony, it would happen to the card that I bought to prevent that exact scenario. I'll try booting without extensions and then with an older SCSI2SD.

Out of curiosity, which General Settings are considered to be correct for PPC Macs? SCSI2 enabled?

Due to various reasons I don’t employ a single SCSI2SD card. I use vintage physical drives. I know, it’s a bit odd. I prefer it. 

7 hours ago, MrFahrenheit said:

I know, it’s a bit odd. I prefer it. 

That's not odd at all; I prefer it, too. I like the sound but also the "wholeness" of the set up. I've been happy with the SCSI2SD in my PowerBook 550 as those drives are so terribly overpriced now. My original 8600 has the factory drive and it's such a lovely thing to hear. The rescue 8600 arrived without a hard drive or any of the sleds. SCSI2SD was/is a good solution to that, except for this issue. I might just try to find a compatible drive or use the pin converter avenue.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a SCSI2SD v6 with an 8600/300 and it works fine. It's not as fast as what you can get if you put an UltraSCSI, IDE, or SATA card in this system, but everything is responsive.

I did have to re-format it after hecking things up from when I was using a bad cable. It's also important that you don't do things like let the SCSI2SD rest directly on the metal plating at the bottom of the machine or in the drive bays, which can be conductive and therefore "bad for a bare PCB". All of this stuff is also true of period SCSI drives, and the MacSD for that matter, so it's not a good reason to avoid the SCSI2SD in particular.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, MrFahrenheit said:

Could it possibly be your SD card itself is being corrupted from not being used or being stored in temperature/humidity outside of its spec?

In general, no.

There's a study running around about SSDs leaking data if they are unpowered. It's important to know that that study pertains to SSDs in a datacenter environment, typically kept relatively hot by consumer and home standards.

I have a handful of SD cards I bought in ~2011 when SD started looking like it might make a good long-term archival format. I last put them all into a system a year or two ago and when I did, they all read perfectly.

EDIT 2: That said, if you crash a Mac badly enough, you can corrupt its filesystem and that can prevent it from booting or being readable. As with the termination, cabling, and mounting considerations, that can also happen to conventional hard disks and any other similar storage replacement solution (i.e. macsd/sata/ide).

SD itself shouldn't have humidity concerns, although the rest of the system might. Not sure about temperature concerns other than temps high enough to literally melt the components, which would be pretty high.