I actually use BBEdit on my modern Mac and have thought about possibly putting BBEdit on the compact Macs, but I'm not sure. I don't think I'll be writing HTML code on them very often, leaving that up to my modern MacBook Pro. However, I'm currently working on writing content for a section of my website I'm revamping shortly using Word 4.0 and converting it to RTF files when completed. I may even write my blog post discussing the FloppyEmu using the Classic and Word 4.0 or the SE and TeachText. (I may use TeachText on the SE because I feel the SE hasn't got much use. Unfortunately, with just 1 MB of memory and only being able to read double-density/800k disk images, I don't think I can load Word or even MacWrite 2 on it.)

In regards to the MacPaint Files and converting them: I was looking at the thread you're referencing lately. It appears GraphicConverter costs $40, which is kind of steep personally to just transfer MacPaint files to a JPG or something similar. PICTure This was another solution offered, but according to @benanderson89it doesn't work very well. It's not the end of the world.

In re ConcertWare: I'll post a picture sometime tonight or this weekend when I have some more free time to do so, but on the Classic and Mini vMac it would show the folders but none of the contents - which I'm assuming means it is expecting a certain file type. I have two .mid files in both folders for testing, but neither show up. Earlier this summer I found out a key combination which "forces" the Finder/open dialog box to show all files. But even then I don't think it would open, and I don't remember the key combination.

The Macintosh Garden page for ConcertWare says that it was tested and works on an SE FDHD. A comment seemed to echo that, pointing out that you can have the software play the MIDI file without the need for any external MIDI devices. (Which is what I want.) So I'm guessing it's a problem on my end/user error and not a problem with the software itself.

Is there any other MIDI playback programs for System 6? I know with System 7 your options are more plentiful, but I have no plans to stick System 7 on either of these machines.

Sorry for double post, I hit 'Submit' before I meant to.

1 hour ago, Garrett said:

In re ConcertWare: I'll post a picture sometime tonight or this weekend when I have some more free time to do so, but on the Classic and Mini vMac it would show the folders but none of the contents - which I'm assuming means it is expecting a certain file type. I have two .mid files in both folders for testing, but neither show up. Earlier this summer I found out a key combination which "forces" the Finder/open dialog box to show all files. But even then I don't think it would open, and I don't remember the key combination.

Finding the expected file type is pretty straightforward as a spelunking exercise with ResEdit :-).  Have you done that before / would you like pointers?

11 hours ago, Garrett said:

is it even possible to get music (such as MP3 or WAV files) converted to a format that these old Macs can play, despite being really low-quality and having lots of dither? Or are my goals just too far out there?

No, they're not, but MP3s won't play very well, if at all, so you'd have to convert to WAV (or, more specifically, AIFF, as that's the format used on early Macintoshes;  it's more or less equivalent to standard WAV files (as seen primarily on contemporary PCs), but there are a few minor differences because Apple wanted to be different (Macs and PCs had since standardized on PC-style WAV sometime in the late 90s (and then of course MP3s, once the average Mac or PC became fast enough to decode them efficiently), so this difference has become moot)).

So, basically, when you do encode your music into that format, you want to match the capabilities of the Classic's and SE's sound hardware, which are as follows:

• Sample rate: 22,050 kHz
  • Bit depth: 8-bit
  • Channels: 1 (Mono)

It won't sound great compared to a modern system, but that's all the Compacts' audio hardware is capable of.

c

Edited by CC_333
8 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Sorry for double post, I hit 'Submit' before I meant to.

Finding the expected file type is pretty straightforward as a spelunking exercise with ResEdit :-).  Have you done that before / would you like pointers?

I've never used ResEdit, but having to go a roundabout way is probably a red flag that modern .mid files will not work with ConcertWare MIDI Player. The MIDI files play just fine under Arnold's MIDI Player, but that requires System 7 and QuickTime.

7 hours ago, CC_333 said:

No, they're not, but MP3s won't play very well, if at all, so you'd have to convert to WAV (or, more specifically, AIFF, as that's the format used on early Macintoshes;  it's more or less equivalent to standard WAV files (as seen primarily on contemporary PCs), but there are a few minor differences because Apple wanted to be different (Macs and PCs had since standardized on PC-style WAV sometime in the late 90s (and then of course MP3s, once the average Mac or PC became fast enough to decode them efficiently), so this difference has become moot)).

So, basically, when you do encode your music into that format, you want to match the capabilities of the Classic's and SE's sound hardware, which are as follows:

• Sample rate: 22,050 kHz
  • Bit depth: 8-bit
  • Channels: 1 (Mono)

It won't sound great compared to a modern system, but that's all the Compacts' audio hardware is capable of.

c

It's one of those things that I want to do just to be able to do it, there's no reason behind it and it doesn't need to sound great. (In fact, I know it's not going to sound great.) I'm assuming you'd mix the audio file to the specs (22kHz, 8-bit depth, mono) and export as an AIFF in a modern DAW such as Audacity or Adobe Audition. How do you play it on the Mac? What software is used in System 6 to open such a file, or do you still need System 7 and something like QuickTime?

@Garrett Yes, you'd take your audio file of choice, mix it down to mono, and encode it to 22kHz AIFF. 

Ideally, you'd use an older DAW to do it (Cool Edit Pro would work, for example), but anything that can encode to AIFF should work well enough. 

What System 6-compatible software can play it once on the Mac?  I'm not sure.  Maybe try browsing Macintosh Garden?

EDIT:  just did a little checking, and it looks like Quicktime 1.0 may run on System 6.  Not sure if it'll rum on a 68000, though. 

c

Edited by CC_333

OK!  I have spent some time browsing Macintosh Garden,?and I think I may have figured out something you could try!

First, download this and use it to convert a WAV file to a System 7 Sound file: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/balthazar

And then download this and use it to play the resulting snd file on System 6: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/7th-symphony

It's a bit kludgy, but I think it might work. 

I will try it myself in mini vMac when I get access to my computer later this evening. 

c

Unfortunately, it didn't work - at least in Basilisk II and Mini vMac. In Basilisk, 7th Symphony gave me an error when trying to play the converted (3 second) clip. In Mini vMac, System 6 couldn't even open the weird file formats 7th Symphony is in. So I guess that's the end of the road... oh well, it's not the biggest deal. I still can't figure out ConcertWare and I guess that, too, is the end of the road. Thanks for your suggestions - it's greatly appreciated.

In other audio-related shenanigans, I noticed the audio output on my 1988 Macintosh SE seems to be really hot, as previously mentioned. Even on the 1 setting it seems to play really loud. I also found out (although earlier... had this happen on my Classic with a game, I believe Crystal Quest) that some software seems to "override" the volume setting in the Control Panel. Both with Crystal Quest that one time and tonight with another program, I had the computer muted and it still played sound and seemed to offer no adjustments for volume.

Tonight I had a little more time to play around with the FloppyEmu, mostly with the SE since the Classic is the one usually getting all the love. (But at least the Classic doesn't look like a block of cheddar and smell like a cigarette factory.) I played around with some of the more obscure games (at least obscure to me) already pre-loaded on the FloppyEmu, such as MacMan. MacMan is a pretty nice spin on the PacMan concept with some interesting nods to Apple's competitors at the time like IBM and AT&T. I also played around in MacDraw and The Print Shop. I created a PICT file in MacDraw but it doesn't render correctly on modern systems.

My next goal is to try to get HD-20 emulation up and running on the FloppyEmu. I kinda want to play with PageMaker or Illustrator but don't know how those will run on 68000 machines with 1-2 MB of memory. (I still haven't been successful at installing the additional 2MB SIMMs in the Classic. I'm starting to wonder if those SIMMs are even good.)

Hmm, I'm sorry it didn't work. 

I don't think it's the end of the road, but it does seem that perhaps, barring any new information, it's more trouble than it's worth. 

Are you able/willing to run 7 on one of your compacts?  It's slower, but it's also potentially much more useful, as you can then use things like Quicktime (provided your version of choice supports 68000-based Macs).

I'll look into it some more and see what I can come up with. 

c

It's not really that big of a deal. As for System 7, I've thought about it but I'm hesitant to. The Classic is still running its factory installation of 6.0.7 and I'm not really wanting to upgrade from that because I don't want to get rid of the volume. I could probably run System 7 on my SE, but I only have enough memory to bring it to 3 MB, and it lacks an internal hard drive. (Though with the addition of the FloppyEmu and HD-20 support, I'm guessing that's not a huge issue.) Even then, I believe QuickTime requires at least a 68020, which I don't have.